Google Drive - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing

Old 2012-04-30, 04:37 PM   #1
JamesK
Veteran

Default Google Drive

I've recently been trying Google Drive. This is "cloud storage" available to anyone and 5 GB of space is free. It's similar to Dropbox, where you can share files with others. When you install the software, it creates a folder on your desktop, but you can also access it with a browser. You also use a browser to set up shares. You can even set permissions on what others are allowed to do. The software is available for PCs and Android phones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-30, 06:24 PM   #2
bobmac

Just an FYI that the software is available for Mac and iPhone also.

Bob
Old 2012-05-01, 07:38 AM   #3
hugh
Member #1

I tried signing up last week after all the fanfare and but it was NOT available for me. Still waiting.

Edit: Just checked and now can get it ! I see my Google Docs are in my Google Drive so is this really anything new or is it the syncing aspect that is new?
Old 2012-05-01, 07:51 AM   #4
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
For some reason, it takes a couple of days to get your account set up for it. I requested it on Saturday and received an email yesterday advising it was available. I don't know how it compares with Docs, as I didn't use that feature with it. The reason I looked into Drive was because a friend was looking for an easy way to share family pictures and videos with his mother. It seems to do the trick.
Old 2012-05-01, 08:16 AM   #5
hugh
Member #1

FYI, Skydrive is now offering 25GB of storage, don't know for how long. I have both and plan on using them for online storage
Old 2012-05-01, 09:08 AM   #6
Jake

I read that after Google Drive MS quickly dropped their storage capacity. This is for new registrations. I use Google docs but I think I will try Drive.
Old 2012-05-01, 09:42 AM   #7
NineBall

The SkyDrive 25GB offer is only for previous SkyDrive users. I had a couple files on there so I was able to "upgrade" to 25GB but my wife and son had not used it before so they didn't get the offer and had their accounts reduced to 7GB. Some people have said simply having an old Windows Live/Hotmail account will be enough but it is not. Apparently if you ran the Windows 8 previews and linked your account you will get the offer as well even if you did not specifically use SkyDrive yourself.
Old 2012-05-01, 10:26 AM   #8
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
I see my Google Docs are in my Google Drive so is this really anything new
According to an article I read, Google Docs are included in Drive. Google Docs are being discontinued as a separate product.

For anyone concerned about privacy issues, anything stored on Google Drive may be scanned by Google. The results may be used to target individuals for ads or used for other revenue generating purposes. When combined with information from other services, that are also scanned, Google could know more about you than your partner.
Old 2012-05-01, 10:55 AM   #9
Coop

After what happened to Mega I would think they are all scanning your files regardless of what they say.
Old 2012-05-01, 10:56 AM   #10
Wayne
Veteran

Are there any limitations on file size? In the past I have tried to use similar services to transfer a video file from my home PC to the cloud but it didn't allow large file sizes (I think the limit was something like 250MB) to be uploaded.
Old 2012-05-01, 11:24 AM   #11
redzone

file limit size is unlimited as far as i remember
Old 2012-05-01, 11:29 AM   #12
Wayne
Veteran

Thanks - I found this info as well:
Quote:
Also notable in that change is that Microsoft raised the size limit per file from just 50MB to 2GB, which is great for uploading video. But Microsoft still compresses media files copied over to SkyDrive, so they won’t be of original size and quality, which is not the case with Google Drive or Dropbox.
I wonder how MS knows that it is a media file and will it compress media files stored in ZIPs or other containers?
Old 2012-05-01, 01:35 PM   #13
Coop

Drive has limited the file size to 10GB of course you'll have to pay to use it.
Old 2012-05-01, 01:50 PM   #14
NeilN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Thanks - I found this info as well:
I wonder how MS knows that it is a media file and will it compress media files stored in ZIPs or other containers?
Seriously? How is that any use for backups then? I expect any files stored in the cloud to be bit-identical to what I have on my hard drive.
Old 2012-05-01, 01:50 PM   #15
TorontoColin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
According to an article I read, Google Docs are included in Drive. Google Docs are being discontinued as a separate product.
Sort of. Docs still exist, just as they did before, they're just being stored in your Google Drive.

I believe Microsoft also scans your files for their purposes.