Youtube Slow? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > MTS

Old 2012-03-27, 08:37 PM   #1
no123one

Default Youtube Slow?

I have MTS' Lighting Bolt plan (32 mbps) and I get a solid 20+ mpbs wirelessly all the time, everything is fast, except Youtube lately.

Youtube videos, even standard def, can take forever to load, they stutter, load...

I've got this problem using Firefox, and tried IE just for kicks, same issue.

Also, Youtube is extremely slow on my iTouch as well using the same wireless (everything else is fine).

I reset my modem and pvr and router to see if that helps, but it doesn't.

Has anybody else with MTS noticed this lately?

My typical speeds...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-27, 10:30 PM   #2
gordon1111

For me lately i have noticed it running well but I will keep a closer eye on it.
Netflix how ever is always running stable I would recommend giving mts tech support a call To see if they can fix it thanks
Old 2012-03-27, 10:39 PM   #3
no123one

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I wonder if it's a caching thing on MTS' side for YouTube, I don't know how that works. It's definitely not a system (computer issue) since the problem happens on all platforms, and my speeds everywhere else seem fine.
Old 2012-03-27, 11:01 PM   #4
gordon1111

hmmm interesting When this is happening are you watching tv at all maybe has to do with the streams or something Maybe Macman will answer as he seems to be very good at this kind of stuff.
Old 2012-03-27, 11:45 PM   #5
Bunkhouse

Same problem this past weekend. drove me nuts. reset everything an no luck. video would load 4-5 seconds worth and just sit there adding another few seconds each minute. Everything else worked fine.

Tried again now and it's better, but still cannot watch 720p videos without the video stopping every 3-4 seconds to buffer. (bolt plan, tv off)

netflix HD and other streaming services work fine.
Old 2012-03-28, 02:02 AM   #6
no123one

Yes Bunkhouse, that's exactly my issue.
Old 2012-03-28, 07:29 PM   #7
no123one

Still having the issue today, very intermittent though, but generally not good.

On the flip side, I can easily and efficiently stream Vimeo HD (which is higher bandwidth than Youtube I believe). It's definitely a Youtube issue, just not sure why not everybody is affected.

I use multiple platforms, so it's not a cookie issue or anything, and reset my 2Wire and router, so it's not anything related to my IP address afaik (since that would change anyway).

I ran the Youtube speedtest and noticed it averaged about 4000 kbps, not bad, but not nearly what it should be (their graph shows that I used to be up around 11000 kbps a week or two ago), but it will often drop to MUCH lower levels as seen here.

I called MTS support and they didn't have any answers. They told me to try a different browser, hardwire connection, etc, but I've done all that (and tried my iTouch) and only Youtube is affected.
Old 2012-03-29, 04:44 PM   #8
no123one

I notice if the Youtube video has a commercial first, the commercial loads perfectly, fast as it should. But the following video is still slow. LOL.
Old 2012-03-29, 05:21 PM   #9
jmorgan

I'm on Bolt and have been having the same issue with Youtube. Tried changing to Google Public DNS, but that didn't make a difference. Not sure what else to try!
Old 2012-03-29, 06:31 PM   #10
mbhydro

Its just not MTS customers having problems.

I just did a Google search on this question and there are complaints coming from all over about YouTube and viewing performance issues.

If you go to http://www.youtube.com/my_speed you can see the speed dips at different levels of access. As a whole there have been dips since the start of March.
Old 2012-03-29, 06:46 PM   #11
Mozza

Sorry for not giving my input earlier, but it is suspected this has something to do with the way Youtube delivers pre-video ads. This has been an issue for over a month.
Old 2012-03-29, 08:05 PM   #12
no123one

Ok, I feel a bit better, but Youtube better get their act together. On the speed test graph, mine dropped WAY down in the past month, from about 11 Mbps to about 2 Mbps.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:51 PM   #13
bman77
Rookie

I have the same issue right now, I'm on lightning max and my speedtest score is 14.4mbit, normally I can watch 1080p no problem but now I can't even watch 360p on my ipad or computer, it has been like this on and off for two weeks. I am getting very pissed and I hope they sort this out. All other sites work fine.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:10 AM   #14
Macman

Thumbs down

I rarely use my iMac anymore, so I usually only access YouTube mobile. I have noticed that it is definitely slower. I have pair bonding equipment at my house, and wasn't sure if It was the issue, so i rebooted my wireless "puck" as MTS calls it (2Wire i38hg wireless router, fed via hpna over twister pair from the 3812 gateway.). Didn't seem to make a difference.
Old 2012-04-06, 10:53 PM   #15
sctb1

I have started having the problem too. The speed test page shows my black line dropping down to the bottom over the last few days.