illico TV New Generation - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Videotron

Old 2012-04-05, 12:39 PM   #46
rainey

Good catch on the external drive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-05, 05:19 PM   #47

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

You have never been able to "move" an eHDD from one PVR to another and keep your recordings (the index is on the iHDD of the PVR). This is probably what they mean. They probably do not mean that you cannot have an eHDD with the new PVR, unless the new PVRs come with say a 1 GB iHDD.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:55 AM   #48
Cantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac View Post
I bought the old Scientific Atlanta 8300HD terminal less than 4 years ago for $600. Then came the Cisco terminals and now Samsung.

If there is any element of truth to Nitra's post, I will be super POed if Videotron doesn't offer some kind of exchange plan. Most users I know have a PVR and up to two cable boxes. That $800+ before taxes... pretty steep of an upgrade.
they won't officially offer an exchange plan, but if you bring this sense of entitlement* and outrage to the customer service center and threaten to cancel, they'll probably give you something.

(*i apologize for the snarky comment, but you have to understand that there's always going to be something a lot more awesome just around the corner in the tech world. i bought a nexus one when it came out with videotron. when the galaxy nexus came out, do you think i was entitled to an exchange?)
Old 2012-04-06, 05:15 PM   #49
rogue17

Videotron does not give anything and is very expensive.

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-06 at 05:45 PM. Reason: OT sentence removed
Old 2012-04-22, 05:15 PM   #50
Ericpl

Did anyone get the upgrade yet in Montreal?
Old 2012-04-23, 08:20 PM   #51
expressmoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
You have never been able to "move" an eHDD from one PVR to another and keep your recordings (the index is on the iHDD of the PVR). This is probably what they mean. They probably do not mean that you cannot have an eHDD with the new PVR, unless the new PVRs come with say a 1 GB iHDD.
I read a tweet from Videotron confirming that the external hard drive is not available with Illico next gen.

Not sure I like this limitation. I currently have a 500GB drive attached to my PVR and the combined capacity is always over 80% full.
Old 2012-04-24, 03:33 PM   #52
GoldstarQC

I can confirm that you can upgrade the internal drive to a 1 Tb western green AV series hard disk. Maybe even more, but i only had a 1 Tb to try.
Old 2012-04-25, 01:27 PM   #53
expressmoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldstarQC View Post
I can confirm that you can upgrade the internal drive to a 1 Tb western green AV series hard disk. Maybe even more, but i only had a 1 Tb to try.
Have you already upgraded to Illico TV Next Generation?

Not sure about the iHDD but for sure the eHDD is not functional same as with the Bellfibe PVR.

Videotron Illico TVNG and Bellfibe both use Mpeg4 compression instead of Mpeg2 so more recording capacity is available on the internal hard disc.
Old 2012-04-25, 02:42 PM   #54
cm3020prob

Green hard drives aren't recommended for a PVR, they were conceived to save power when idling inside a computer. So far, a green HDD in an external box plugged to a 8300HD has been more problematic than the blue and black ones.

Also, the PVR receives the 0's and 1's it receives and write 'em on the HDD. Regardless if you've setup your output to 480i, regardless if the source is 1080i or 720p, regardless if the HD channel is full 19.4 Mbps or over-compressed at 8.9 Mbps, regardless if the channel is MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, no conversion will be made, the terminal will write it exactly as it receives it.

AFAIK, no MPEG-4 signal is being distributed to the public, so no, there won't be space-saving on the HDD until they start MPEG-4 broadcasting.
Old 2012-04-25, 02:46 PM   #55

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
AFAIK, no MPEG-4 signal is being distributed to the public, so no, there won't be space-saving on the HDD until they start MPEG-4 broadcasting.
MPEG4 is not broadcast, however, it is used by the service providers (IPTV, New BTV Sat, etc) and therefore does save HDD space and requires less bandwidth. On IPTV for example, the final result is a file on the HDD that's typically about 1/2 the size of MPEG2. You were correct about the bits being recorded, however, fewer bits get to the PVR in the first place.
Old 2012-04-25, 04:16 PM   #56
yyzlhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by expressmoria View Post
Videotron Illico TVNG and Bellfibe both use Mpeg4 compression instead of Mpeg2 so more recording capacity is available on the internal hard disc.
So Videotron is now using MPEG4 for customers with Illico compatible equipment and MPEG2 for those with legacy equipment?
Old 2012-04-25, 04:30 PM   #57
rainey

According to videotron they will be using Mpeg4 with illico 2.0 and yes it will only be on the new terminals. However this change is not part of the initial launch and they have not given a timeline of when it will happen.
Old 2012-04-25, 07:44 PM   #58
GoldstarQC

Yes, I aready have the illico NG on my 3 8642HD terminals. They still use the MPEG2 on them, so it's only 55 hrs HD recording on the 500GB internal HD. The external doesn't get recognize on illico NG. The Cisco already support MPEG4, so if that switch to MPEG4, it will be already working on them.
Old 2012-04-26, 09:25 AM   #59
rainey

Goldstarqc - Can you give us any feedback on illico NG? Was it worth the wait, good things, bad things.
Some of us are still deciding on whether to make the move to BellFibe or not. Any input would really help.

Thanks.
Old 2012-04-27, 11:19 AM   #60
GoldstarQC

The new gui is really good, there is a few stuff still missing that i really wait : multiroom is one of them! I have 3 cisco box because i need more than 2 feed at the same time, but also because i want same show on different tv... Multiroom will solve that.

The interface is fast. One thing currently that need to be worked on is : saving filtering preferences; you can filter to see only channels you subscribe, but everytime you leave the guide and go back, it defaults to "all channels". Another small issue is that you can't go in List while watching a recording without loosing the time where you were at.

There is no twitter or facebook either. Other things is videotron still are on mpeg2, so the internal is only 55hrs HD recordings, and newgen disable external hard drive. I think fibetv 500gb can hold at least 100hrs HD recordings because they are mpeg4.

The VOD (900) new interface is very good, a lot better than old one, same stuff on it.

If you read french, i wrote a review of it :

http://macquebec.com/2012/04/banc-de...le-generation/

The new guide is good, but they could have not use 1/3 for channel id: ex: 618 (logo) CNEHD HD logo.... Just to identify channel. That leave only a 2hrs schedule on the right.