Will Iphone 5 work on Wind ?

48K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TorontoColin 
#1 ·
Looking at "The New" Ipad specs :

Wi-Fi + 4G
•LTE (700, 2100 MHz);
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Could someone please tell me what this LTE 700,2100 is ?

Is this AWS frequency ?

Would this mean Iphone 5 might have a chance it might work on Wind ?

I can dream right ? :D

#3 ·
From the Wind Mobile FAQ:

Question:

Do you have the iPhone?

Answer:

We do not have the iPhone. Apple’s current iPhone is not compatible with the WIND network (AWS/1700 Megahertz/BandIV). When we hear an AWS iPhone is in the works, believe us, we'll be knocking Apple's door to get the scoop!

#4 ·
While I use Rogers and have no plans on switching, I really hope the next one supports AWS. The iPhone is a game changer when it comes to wireless industry, so if the Wind, Mobilicity and Videotron can now support the Iphone, the competition would take a drastic turn in this country (and in the US as well with T-Mobile). It wasn't until the iPhone came to Canada that we finally started getting some decent data plans (well at least with the 6GB plans). Why do you think Bellus quickly deployed 3G HSDPA? In order to get the iPhone.

#6 ·
It supports LTE in the AWS band.

Wind/Mobilicity don't do LTE in the AWS band, they do HSPA.

So, while the hardware is CAPAPBLE of the AWS band from a radio perspective, the rest of the radio stack isn't, so no, won't support Wind/Mobilicity.

There have been many rumours of the next iPhone supporting AWS. We shall see.

#9 ·
AWS is correctly referred to as 1700. The reason you sometimes see 1700/2100 is because the AWS band has 1700 in one direction and 2100 in the other.

the 2100 band is used for 3G is most of the world other then NA, and has nothing to do with AWS.

Remember, that aside from the bands, you also have to consider the protocols. The iPad3 supports AWS for LTE only, so although T-Mobile/Wind/Mobilicity use the AWS band, they don't run LTE on that band, only HSPA, so no go there. iPad3 will still be stuck at 2G speeds on T-Mobile/Wind/Mobilicity for now (note: T-Mobile will be redeploying their 1900 spectrum for 3G in major markets, so one day, you may be able to run the iPad/iPhone on T-Mobile at 3G speeds, but no time soon).

TTYL

#8 ·
On spec sheets, AWS will be referred to as 1700. When you see 2100 it's referring to IMT, which is the primary HSPA frequency in Europe.

The new iPad actually does have AWS support in some of it's variants, though it's not listed in the specs spacyfoil posted. The Big 3 are all using AWS exclusively at the moment for their LTE networks, and AT&T is supplementing their 700 spectrum with 1700.

Apple has said there will be different variants for different LTE networks, but they haven't been clear as to how many different variants there are. Either way, the variant they are selling in Canada has to have AWS for LTE, and the variant they are selling in the US for AT&T probably also has AWS support for LTE. These might be the same variant, or they might not, Apple hasn't said.

Either way, none of the new iPads have support for Wind or Mobilicity.

#11 ·
I was just lookin over T-Mobile. Wow they have more subscribers than Rogers, Bell and Telus combined! And thats only in USA.

It would make sense that Apple does make this new IPhone for them just as the CEO for T-Mobile claims they will.

That would work on Wind. I think ?

#12 ·
It's possible, but far from guaranteed. T-Mobile may have 30 million customers, but that's still not a lot compared to the other carriers. AT&T has ~100 million customers, and millions and millions more in the rest of the world use the same HSPA radio as the AT&T model. The CDMA radio supports over 150 million potential customers between Verizon and Sprint, not to mention the CDMA users in China. Outside of T-Mobile, only about 1 million Canadians use AWS HSPA.

It's possible that a T-Mobile version might be coming, but it's far from a guarantee, and I wouldn't even say it's likely.

#15 ·
It's unclear at this time what that means. It could mean that T-Mobile will get a version of the iPhone with the same existing network compatibility which will work with its 2G network, as well as anywhere it has refarmed 1900 for 3G and anywhere it has launched LTE on AWS. It could also mean that Apple will add AWS on HSPA to the iPhone. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Given T-Mobile's plan to eliminate device subsidies altogether, it would not surprise me if this is actually more about iPads than iPhones.

#16 ·
I think by next year their spectrum refarming project will hit many more markets and they will carry the same variant as Rogers/Bell/Telus. I don't think there are any other major carriers around the world that have deployed HSPA on the AWS frequency. It simply wouldn't make sense for Apple to make another variant just for T-mobile because the market just isn't big enough.

Even if they created an AWS variant, I doubt the new entrants would be able to afford to support it. The cost of revenue sharing, and purchasing commitments would likely put great financial strain on Wind and Mobi. If there ever was an AWS variant, IMO, you'd likely have to cross the border and buy it.

#17 ·
That may be, though they don't necessarily have enough 1900 to refarm nation-wide and still offer reliable 2G at the moment. Their HSPA network will continue to be split between AWS and 1900 for the foreseeable future.

If Apple does add AWS I'd be shocked if it isn't mixed into the same HSPA variant, which means unlocked models should be compatible with AWS carriers. But again, I think it's far more likely that we're looking at T-Mobile getting the standard version with compromised coverage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.