Hulu Plus is on US Apple TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-08-01, 09:36 AM   #1
Mexicanuck

Default Hulu Plus is on US Apple TV

If you haven't already set up a US iTunes account, this may be a reason to do so. Hulu Plus is now available on the Apple TV using a US account.

I checked it out this morning. (I'm assuming you must be using a VPN or unblock-us, but I'm not sure.) You must have a US iTunes account. In settings, set your location as US. Then log in using your US iTunes account information. Hulu Plus will be one of the services that are then available. I logged into my Hulu Plus account and the service was there.

[edit] According to some websites, VPN or unblock-us is currently not needed if the user goes into Hulu Plus through their US iTunes account. It is unclear whether this is a brief glitch or whether it will be ongoing.

Last edited by Mexicanuck; 2012-08-01 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added info about geo-location
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-08-01, 12:37 PM   #2
The Black Cat
Rookie

Looks like they've caught on already:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...s-report-says/

I have Unblock Us but I haven't tried it yet on my ATV2. The Hulu Plus hasn't appeared yet, although I'm still running iOS 4.4.4 so maybe that's why.
Old 2012-08-01, 02:55 PM   #3
Mexicanuck

I only tried it on my ATV3. I'm planning to try it on my jailbroken ATV2 tonight.

I did have to "reset" (but not "restore") the ATV3 to get the Hulu Plus. I'm guessing I will have to do the same with the ATV2.
Old 2012-08-01, 09:25 PM   #4
Mexicanuck

I can confirm this works on JB ATV2. It does require a reset.
Old 2012-08-05, 11:16 PM   #5
The Black Cat
Rookie

OK, I updated to the latest JB iOS on my ATV2, and I can access Hulu Plus if I use Unblock Us and set the iTunes store to the US. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be way to keep the Hulu Plus icon from disappearing when I change it back to the Canadian iTunes store, which makes renting movies or watching purchased content a pain to access.
Old 2012-08-06, 12:27 AM   #6
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
there doesn't seem to be way to keep the Hulu Plus icon from disappearing when I change it back to the Canadian iTunes store
If you're looking for a device that can reliably do both Hulu and Netflix (US or Canadian), then take a look at a Xbox 360.

To get the US-based app just create a new Xbox live account with US information. Then you can download all the US-based apps that your heart desires. Once those apps are available on your Xbox, you can switch to your (Canadian) Xbox live account and still use the US apps as long as they're installed on the same physical Xbox.

Also, in addition to US and Canadian Netflix and Hulu, I use it as a Windows Media Center extender (OTA channels, movie collection). I haven't found another device that is better at media streaming that can also do the OTA TV DVR thing.
Old 2012-08-13, 09:32 AM   #7
jshel101
Veteran

Does Hulu Plus work on the ATV2 by changing the DNS to UnblockUS, or do I have to do this at the router level? I tried to change the DNS on my ATV2 for US Netflix, but I could not get this to work. I was hoping to know if this works before I sign up for UnblockUS again.