Netflix on Panasonic Blu-ray player - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-08-12, 09:05 AM   #1
Rich Chambers

Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U
Default Netflix on Panasonic Blu-ray player

It seems that the latest Panasonic (BDT-110) firmware update has changed the interface to Netflix.

This is not a good thing, because it seems that although the icons are larger, the options for finding a movie are far more restricted. Previously, if you looked up comedies, they were broken down by sub-genre. Now they seem all grouped together. That's only one annoyance.

Who is responsible for the Netflix app? Panasonic or Netflix? i.e. who do I complain to?

Thanks, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-08-12, 08:44 PM   #2
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Probably Panasonic. Netflix just publishes APIs and then any manufacturer can program their interfaces to call those APIs.
Old 2012-08-13, 03:47 PM   #3
Eldar3333

We've noticed this too on our BDT-210--didn't associate it with a firmware update, but it makes sense. It's definitely more of a pain than the previous interface.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:19 AM   #4
Rich Chambers

Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U

Thanks, North of Calgary. That makes sense.

Eldar, the firmware updated about 10 days ago, I think, and it was last weekend that I noticed the changes, most noteably the option for Netflix for Kids. I really liked that because out grandkids were visiting. It went downhill from there.

To me, this is so bad, that I may check out other BD players.

Rich
Old 2012-08-22, 12:25 PM   #5
Eldar3333

I don't mind the Netflix for Kids option, but the implementation is poor. And I don't really see any additional features, just a poorer format for searching.

I don't know if other players are that much better, but I won't be switching mainly because of the cost. I'm hoping that the next AV purchase we make is an HTPC (won't happen till next year though at the earliest)--wasn't going to use it for Netflix, but I may rethink that depending on whether I can get a better interface.