Question Regarding setting up VOIP (Currently with Rogers) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-01, 02:09 PM   #1
ISatOnIt
Rookie

Default Question Regarding setting up VOIP (Currently with Rogers)

Hi There,

I usually can find my answer by searching on this forum and/or Google to most of my questions. This is my first post asking for help as I am trying to figure things out.

I am on the verge of moving to VOIP. I live in a condo and when I moved in I had no choice but to go with rogers for all my services (home phone, internet and cable). I want to get rid of my home phone soon but before I do I want to verify a few things.

My home phone is with rogers and its connected on a hidden panel on the top of my closet like this:
Coax Cable ---O Arris tm402g []---[] All phone jacks []---[] Phone

and my internet is connected like this
Cable TV Jack ---O Modem []---[] Computer

When I test my VOIP I will connect the ATA like this
Cable TV Jack ---O Modem []---[] SPA2012 []---[] Computer

Eventually I want the ATA to be connected like this
?????? SPA2012 []---[] All phone jacks []---[] Phone

This is what I don't know how to do and these are the questions I have
How do I get my ATA to connect to the phone jacks in my condo?
Will I have to get my own type of Home phone terminal (as rogers calls it) like the Arris tm402g and connect it in the following manner?
Coax Cable ---O Arris tm402g (or similar) []---[] SPA2012 []---[]All phone jacks []---[] Phone

If I switch my Rogers internet to another cable internet provider then will the above connection still work?

Thanks in advance
ISatOnIt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-01, 02:22 PM   #2
Cap

Do you have a demarcation point? I have VOIP and Rogers. Right now its setup so that the outside cable comes into my modem. from modem to Apple Timecapsule. Or router for most others. I then have three hardwire ports on the back. One to my computer for internet, One to my Apple TV, and One to my ATA device. I then plug my phone line into the ata. Its the same line that Bell or Rogers would use for your phones. Its at the demarcation point, usually with your electrical panel. If you plug in this line to your ata , all your phones will work. I switched to VOIP.ms and its fantastic, I will use VOIP from here forward.
Old 2012-02-01, 02:32 PM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Just be aware that if you're in a high rise condo with an entry system that some (mostly older) entry systems (that do not dial a phone number) are incompatible (or difficult to set up) with some voip systems. If this is not an issue for you, please disregard this paragraph.

I have changed the title of the thread slightly since you're not looking to get voip from Rogers.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:08 PM   #4
ISatOnIt
Rookie

Thanks for the information Cap

I believe that the demarcation point is where the Arris box is connected to which allows me to plug my phones into any phone jack in my condo. This is in a little panel above my closet by the front door.

My cable modem is connected to a TV jack on the opposite corner of the room which is connected directly to the computer.

If I connect the modem to a router, to an ATA and to the demarcation point, I don't want to run an ethernet cable to hang from the panel in my closet to my computer on the opposite end of the room and I don't want to make my computer wireless. How can I connect my ATA to the demarcation point (in my closet) and still have my modem or router (opposite corner of the room) connected directly to my computer

Thanks 57, for clearing up my title. My condo is about 4 years old so hopefully the entry system is compatible.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:41 PM   #5
Cap

not sure if its that big a deal but if your ATA is by your cable modem you would have to run a phone line to the demarcation point.

One thing to consider. I don't know much about them but isn't there some type of dongle that plugs into an electrical outlet? That would allow you to use your electrical outlets as network points. I am envisioning cable mobdem to router. router to (cat5e) dongle at one plug. then attach a dongle at a plug right at your demarcation point, then cat5e wire to ATA . and ATA to demarcation point.

It may seem confusing, but you could also put the ATA right at your modem and phone line dongles instead of network dongles.

b
Old 2012-02-01, 08:20 PM   #6
ISatOnIt
Rookie

Thanks Cap

That's a really good suggestion for the powerline AV. Once I test my ATA, I will give the powerline a try as well.
I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to do it the way Rogers does.
I wonder how the Rogers is able to separate the two modems (one Home phone terminal and one Cable modem) to have use my phone jacks and cable jacks to separate the phone and cable.

Thanks again for the help
Old 2012-02-02, 09:55 AM   #7
classicsat
Veteran

Just unplug the the Arris box from your inside phone wiring, and plug the phone jack of your ATA into that, using a phone jack extender if need be.

That is if the phone side of the arris box goes somewhere for the entry system. If it doesn't, you can plug the ATA into any phone jack in your unit.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
voip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.