Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-15, 09:14 PM   #196
ae_collector

And even that is likely optimistic.....
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-16, 05:29 PM   #197
sawguyg

It's the same old hurry-up and wait.....good things come to those who wait....but not here
Old 2012-06-22, 03:40 PM   #198
johnnucleo

Default Cartoon Network Canada

Cartoon Network Canada is set to launch on July 4th which is less than two weeks away, but there doesn't seem to be any information on who will be carrying this channel.

Corus Entertainment (A Shaw Company) owns 50% of this channel, so you would think Shaw and Shaw Direct would carry it, but who knows.

Anyone know of any carriage information for this channel??

It will have almost all of the Adult Swim shows from the US, which will be cool.
Old 2012-06-22, 04:02 PM   #199
bigoranget
Veteran

It probably will not be carried on Shaw Direct. Shaw Direct has to be in compliance with the 3:1 related ownership rule before it can add any additional Category B channels with common ownership.

Currently Shaw Direct carries 15 Category B channels that have common ownership. They carry 25 Category B channels that are not owned in any way by Shaw. Before Shaw Direct can add any additional Category B channels, they have to add another 20 Category B channels.

With that said, it's highly unlikely that Cartoon Network will be added before January 2013 when Shaw Direct will be required to come into compliance with the 3:1 rule.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:24 PM   #200
Bent But

Quote:
Corus Entertainment (A Shaw Company)
Corus Entertainment is NOT a Shaw Company

Both are Canadian companies with asinine setup of Class A voting shares and Class B non voting shares.

Hence the Shaw family gets to control both companies by having only ~ 10% of the stock.

I can never figure out why any individual or investment house would buy Class B stock.
Old 2012-06-23, 03:04 AM   #201
tf86
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent But View Post
Corus Entertainment is NOT a Shaw Company

Both are Canadian companies with asinine setup of Class A voting shares and Class B non voting shares.

Hence the Shaw family gets to control both companies by having only ~ 10% of the stock.

I can never figure out why any individual or investment house would buy Class B stock.
Corus Entertainment IS a shaw company seeing that it is owned by the SHAW family. it is however operated separately from the shaw media corporation.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:21 AM   #202
madhi19

The Canadian media oligopoly, Desmarais, Peladeau, Shaw and Thompson. Right there you got the four family who own almost every piece of media content made, sold, resold and distributed in Canada.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:59 AM   #203
cableredneck

I think what is happening is Teletoon is becoming Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. We will have Cartoon Network Canada from 6am to 9pm and Adult Swim Canada from 9pm to 6am. I did a little research online and this seems to be what is going on.
Old 2012-06-27, 11:01 AM   #204
cableredneck

You forgot Rogers. They own a large chunk of Canadian Media.
Old 2012-06-27, 11:17 AM   #205
ryandude_12345

@cableredneck NO, that is not what is happening! They are showing previews on Teletoon on Saturday from 11 am of Cartoon Network, but come July 4th it will be a serperate channel. There still will be Teletoon, and now there will also be Cartoon Network! Two serperate channels on two serperate stations!
Old 2012-06-28, 01:24 PM   #206
cableredneck

According to the Wikipedia entry Teletoon is being replaced with these channels. I guess we will have to wait and see. I hope it is just a replacement, otherwise we have to hope Cartoon Network is added to our packages. It seemed to me from what I read that my earlier post was correct, but it is hard to tell.
Old 2012-06-28, 02:00 PM   #207
LONSat

Ah yes wikipedia the authortative source of truth and all things factual.
Old 2012-06-28, 10:22 PM   #208
bigoranget
Veteran

Cartoon Network is a category B channel. It is not replacing Teletoon which is a Category A channel.
Old 2012-06-30, 11:51 AM   #209
cableredneck

I realize Wikipedia is not necessarily the most reliable source on-line.
Does anyone have any idea what packages Cartoon Network and Adult Swim will be placed on? We have Digital Indulgence Lite and get Teletoon East and West.
Old 2012-06-30, 05:53 PM   #210
bigoranget
Veteran

Cartoon Network is NOT going to be added to Shaw Direct. Shaw Direct does not carry enough competing category B channels to be eligible to carry this channel. They would have to add more then 20 category B channels in order to add Cartoon Network. In other words, it's not coming to Shaw Direct any time soon.
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels, satellite tv, shaw direct