Shaw Cable promotions, programming packages and pricing discussion 2012 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-02, 01:09 PM   #16
mungar

One reason that the channels are bundled in theme packs is because it allows for much more value (eg. Entertainment 1 has 10 SD/6 HD channels), whereas those channels sold individually would be much more. Also, using theme packs likely is a main reason that the entry price for the Shaw Plan Personalizer is considerably lower than the older plans, and it is now even lower with the introduction of the new bundles.

For example, Basic Cable ($40.95) + High-Speed Internet 7.5 Mbps Download ($42.00) is $82.95/month. Then, with the introduction of the Shaw Plan Personalizer, you could get Personal TV and High-Speed Internet for $74.90/month. Now, with the new Simple bundles, you can get Personal TV and High Speed 10 (10 Mbps Download) for a regular price of $59.90/month.

That is a difference of $23.05/month, and you get a slight increase in your Internet speed. Personal TV and Basic TV do slightly differ, but the price difference is huge. Even though there are fewer channels, you also get a few 'Classic' channels (HGTV, History, Food) with Personal TV.

That is just using Basic + High Speed as an example. I'd definitely recommend checking out the new simple bundles, as they provide much more value than the regular Shaw Plan Personalizer had been offering.
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-02, 02:05 PM   #17
newfbc

Switched today to Personal TV, Best of HD and HS10, saving ~$25/month. However, they won't activate until 12 January - a tech has to come out to remove filters so I can get more channels.. in the meantime, I have to pay more for less until then! Doesn't make sense. Then again, it's Shaw.

Ron.
Old 2012-01-02, 02:22 PM   #18
Titanium48

@mungar - Bundling channels that you don't watch with the channels you do adds zero value. Some of the theme packs work (like "news" and "family") - they are cheap and include all of the channels in their category. On the other hand, the "entertainment" and "sports" bundles don't work. They are more expensive and the channels I want are spread across a number of theme packs, bundled with channels I don't care about.

How about some build your own theme packs? For example, pick any 7 channels from sports 1 and/or sports 2 for $10, or pick any 10 channels from movies, entertainment 1, entertainment 2 and/or entertainment 3 for $10.
Old 2012-01-02, 03:18 PM   #19
cheadlebeagle

@stanl

Thanks for the advice. I watch BBC World a lot so may pay $5. for that but I will check into the BBC iPlayer. I have just resubscribed to BBC Canada as they seemed to have improved what they are showing.

It would be wonderful if the day ever came that I could just pay $50 or $60 or whatever a month and only have the channels I want!!!
Old 2012-01-02, 04:06 PM   #20
shingo43
Rookie

can u please provide more details, that plan is what I exactly want.
thanks
Old 2012-01-02, 05:00 PM   #21
fastball59
Rookie

Default is this possible?

I'm looking over the Shaw literature that I've received here...
Is it truly "personalizing" - other than totally pick and paying all my channels (be still, my heart)?
Like can I get Personal TV + Best of HD, Timeshift and Movies....combined with Internet 20 or BB50....plus phone, and just add 'em up? I have in my literature here something that refers to "Shaw Triple Play Customer Benefits" that says something about a 10 dollar BUNDLE discount every month.
Does that apply to me because I've got TV, Internet and phone....or will I get the big no-no because my personalized package is not a prepackaged "Bundle"?
Old 2012-01-02, 05:51 PM   #22
aeroplane

Question Best of HD channels list??

I am looking to switch to Shaw. Can someone answer this question please. PersonalTV/BestofHD is available ONLY with Gateway?

and secondly what channels are included in Best of HD? I went to the shaw site but have no idea where I find a "list" of the channels included?

Thank u
Old 2012-01-02, 06:22 PM   #23
saberon

Talking

Absolutely nothing REQUIRES the gateway. You can have any model of STB.

Here's what's in best of hd. http://shaw.ca/Television/Programming/Theme-Packs/
Old 2012-01-02, 06:23 PM   #24
roopster77

Location: Sry/Cloverdale, BC Epson 8350 & 110" Screen... Shaw Gateway & 5 Portals... PS-3 & Harmony One

Decided to sort out my stuff... this is what I went with which is a savings from what I had before because the phone turns out to be cheaper and the TV is only .95 cents more than I was paying:

Television
Personal TV
Theme Packs:
Best of HD+ $20.00
Premium:
Oasis HD+ $3.95
HDNet+ $3.95
-------------
+ $53.85
==========

Internet
Broadband 50 (50 Mbps)
+ $58.95
==========
Home Phone
Personal Home Phone + VoiceMail
+ $20.95
==========
YOUR PLAN $133.75

I was also advised I don't have to pay for additional outlets (I will have 5 portals) as they are all considered to be on the gateway so it counts as one outlet as it is one network...

***I could not find an option to add Discovery World HD as a Premium Channel, although I believe it is not included with the Best of HD+...

This should do me for now... lol, just want that extra Discovery Channel...
Old 2012-01-02, 07:33 PM   #25
MacOSXAddict

From what ShawChamp has said in previous threads and posts, you can add DiscoveryWorld HD for $3.95 as it is not included in the Best of HD package.
Old 2012-01-02, 08:00 PM   #26
Distant Signal

With pick and play on digital (SD) channels, the price per channel dropped with more being taken. e.g., 1 for 2.95, 2 for 3:95, 7 for 7.95. Does this still apply for the pick and play HD channels (Discovery World, HD Net, Oasis)? Or is each treated as a separate purchase? Right now, as a grandfathered HD Plus customer, I have BBC Canada and Oasis for $3.95, picking up Oasis when BBC Kids was dropped from the lineup.

Last edited by Distant Signal; 2012-01-02 at 08:04 PM. Reason: to add a bit more information
Old 2012-01-02, 08:12 PM   #27
charlesinbanff
Rookie

Default Filipino channels on Shaw Cable

Happy New Year,

Apparently, Shaw Cable has two Tagalog channels in several areas.

Shaw Cable 509 - The Filipino Channel (TFC) and
Shaw Cable 510 - Filipino TV (FTV)

I subscribe to TFC and watch that on Shaw Cable 509 in Banff.

My wife, who is fluent in Tagalog, enjoys the shows on TFC and staying connected with the happenings in the Philippines.

Now, my question, has anyone in Banff, Canmore, or Calgary been also able to watch Shaw Cable 510 - FTV, the additional Tagalog channel?

My cable box does not display 510 in my PVR guide.
Nevertheless, the Shaw website lists 510 FTV as channel in my area. On the other hand, the Shaw website has no pricing for FTV in its listings of multicultural channels. And I have yet to hear of anyone who is actually watched the channel when I have spoke of it even among some of my friends that also subscribe to TFC.

So, FTV is kind of elusive, for me anyway. Does it exist or not?

Thanks for your info.

Sincerely,
Charles
Old 2012-01-02, 08:37 PM   #28
stony
Rookie

@roopster77, Don't know about adding it by itself, but it looks like it's part of the entertainment 1 theme pack for an extra 10$/month.
Old 2012-01-02, 09:24 PM   #29
tux

Filipino TV does exist. I don't subscribe to it myself, I'm not Filipino, but I did have a job promoting Shaw services in September, when Shaw launched it and put it on free preview for about a month. The announcement was also made in this post, in the 2011 new channels thread. IIRC, the price of the channel was around $15.95/mo.

I don't know why it's not listed on the Shaw website (or on Shawpersonalizer.ca), however it is there under Channel Listings, as well as listed in the Calgary SPP file. If you're missing channels in your guide, or you'd like to get FTV, I'd recommend calling Shaw.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:52 PM   #30
HTGuy2

In a 3rd attempt to buy 228-DWHD as a standalone channel, in addition to Best of HD, I spent some time with tech support the other day. Despite giving him the code which Shaw Champ provided earlier, DWHD still would not activate. As a test he then temporarily provided me with the Entertainment #1 Pkg, which produced DWHD. That proved it was not a trap/filter problem.

He then consulted with his higher level Tech Support and eventually advised that there about 10 Shaw service areas (Winnipeg & surrounding area being one) where it is not possible to obtain DWHD as a standalone channel!!!

Shaw Champ and any other Shaw employee monitoring this thread - perhaps you could escalate this to have this enabled for all areas.
Closed Thread

Tags
shaw cable