Videotron 2012 New Channels Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Videotron

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-01, 11:46 AM   #46
expressmoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3020prob View Post
Back on topic, Fox Sports World Canada has been removed on channel 119.
Shaw Media replaces the channel with Nat Geo Wild, which is being launched May 7th, but Vidéotron hasn't picked it up.
Not sure why Videotron does not broadcast almost all of the Shaw Media channels in HD (except for National Geographic).

Most popular channels like Showcase, HGTV, Food Network etc. are only available only in SD.

Is it because Videotron do not want to pay the money to Shaw or because they have maxed out the bandwidth?

Maybe the implementation of illico TVNG will allow for the extra bandwidth but not sure if the money will be there for Shaw Media.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-01, 12:06 PM   #47
rainey

I am not understanding the lack of HD stations either. On one hand videotron says it is the bandwidth but then they say they are negotiating for the HD version (I guess additional cost).
I keep trying to rationalize why I stay with them but when BellFibe hits my building and videotron still lacks the same offerings I will really have to decide on a move.
Old 2012-05-01, 12:15 PM   #48
cm3020prob

IMHO, it's multi-platform content related.

8 months after the launch of Groupe TVA's Yoopa, they moved Corus' Treehouse from channel 161 to 28, whose content was added to 900 and illicoweb.

Back in november 2011, they reached an agreement with Bell Media, RDS2 was added immediately at Treehouse's old position 161 (while TVA Sports took the 24 position!), while Discovery, Bravo, Space and RDS Info were added in HD, but none of these channels have content on Illico web.

Also noteworthy is channel positions. Food (102) and HGTV (103) would be 702 and 703 in HD, but 702 is already taken by Super Écran 2 HD, while SÉ3HH and SÉ4HD launched but are currently missing, so positions 703 and 704 are kinda already reserved.

Was it mentionned that Canal Indigo 2 HD (749) was added on March 14, 2012 ? Obviously not a bandwidth problem, but at least the channel provides expensive HD adult movies when there's a live PPV sporting event.

Then Corus' Dusk has shut down last month, ABC Spark launched 3 days later, but was totally ignored by Vidéotron. I thought they had a good relationship since the Treehouse move.

A "deal" with Shaw Media is probably in the works? or with Shaw Communications for both Shaw Media AND Corus? Who knows... We'll have to wait and see.
Old 2012-05-07, 09:41 AM   #49
hercules130

So I called Videotron this morning asking about cancellation procedure*. The customer representative sounded a bit surprised and went to damage control mode immediately. I answered his question about why I wanted to leave by listing a number of channels that Videotron is not offering, be it in HD or at all.

He then responded that some of those channels (he did not mention which ones) would be available very soon, particularly now that they were in the process of changing their equipment. BTW, the channel I listed were AMC, CW, Showcase, The Score and time-shifting channels.

Is what he told me real in the foreseeable future or was he just blowing smoke up my behind?

* I asked about the cancellation procedure because Bell contacted me and informing me that Fibe TV is finally available in my building.
Old 2012-05-07, 11:39 AM   #50
rainey

hercules130: I think a bit of both. I was given the same story about two weeks ago. However, the person I spoke to said that there would be "major" changes in the TV lineup in 2012. He also mentioned AMC for the summer but again no real timing. I suspect they will wait until they roll-out the new illico in more regions.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:18 PM   #51

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

We have a dedicated thread for the new Videotron and for Fibe. This thread is about new channels. Please stay on the topic. Thanks.
Old 2012-05-07, 04:38 PM   #52
hercules130

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
We have a dedicated thread for the new Videotron and for Fibe. This thread is about new channels. Please stay on the topic. Thanks.

I apologize for the bells and whistles in my post. However, the essence of my question is whether the channels I listed would be added as new channels on Videotron in the foreseeable future. Therefore, I think my question fits the topic of this thread, which is "Videotron 2012 New Channels Discussion".
Old 2012-05-07, 05:19 PM   #53

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

My post was not directed at you or anyone specifically. I deleted a post that was OT and I just didn't want the thread going OT.
Old 2012-05-07, 05:43 PM   #54
hercules130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainey View Post
I am not understanding the lack of HD stations either. On one hand videotron says it is the bandwidth but then they say they are negotiating for the HD version (I guess additional cost).
I keep trying to rationalize why I stay with them but when BellFibe hits my building and videotron still lacks the same offerings I will really have to decide on a move.
I do think that the "bandwith capacity" excuse is rather suspicious. Case in point, Videotron carries CBC's Explora in SD and HD as soon as the channel is launched. Customers have been asking for AMC, for example, for years. As well, it has been years since many popular channels are available in HD on all major Canadian carriers but Videotron.
Old 2012-05-11, 01:23 PM   #55
julie_rose_

a videotron rep told me that abc sparks and amc were very demanding, and they are still negotiating.
Old 2012-05-13, 09:09 PM   #56
hercules130

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_rose_ View Post
a videotron rep told me that abc sparks and amc were very demanding, and they are still negotiating.
If the problem was only about the licences, maybe I could understand. However, I have been asking also for timeshifting channels in HD since 2009 - either Canadian or American - and nothing is moving in that front. The channels are already there in SD, they are originally available in HD (except NTV) and competitors offer them. To compel them even more, the Canadian timeshifting includes 3 English and 2 French networks.

So far, nothing.

Timeshifting channels are rather must-have for me. In many cases more than two of my shows are on the same time slot. Additionally, the Canadiens games are not set in a regular weekly schedules. Therefore I often need to choose between not watching a show or missing one hour of the hockey game.
Old 2012-05-14, 12:36 PM   #57
cm3020prob

Timeshifting in HD is possible. Problem is the network capacity.

So far, Vidéotron is in the process of either upgrade some areas to 1 GHz (like West-Montreal), or cut off Telemax analog (like Gatineau), or deploying SDV (Switched Digital Video), or a mix of them. During this process, they have to pick new HD channels by priority: the most popular channels, Quebecor-owned channels, and those channels offering unique programming.

Since 2 HD channels are taking the space of 1 analog channel, it just not worth it wasting 4 analog positions in order to offer ABC-NBC-CBS-FOX Seattle + SRC-CBC-CTV-Global Vancouver in HD when these channels offer exactly the same programming 3 hour earlier on their east-coast equivalent. A better usage of these analog positions would be to offer specialties broadcasting original programming that we're missing, like AMC, ABC Spark, Family, Food, HGTV, NASA, Showcase, Vanessa, etc.

Noteworthy, most of the movies on MExcess (except adult movies) also air at some point on The Movie Network main channel (M HD), same for MFun!, as well as Super Écran 3 HD and 4 HD, which might explain why they're missing.

Back on topic, there were rumors earlier this month that Télétoon (french) was about to launch in HD, which coincide with the addition of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim programming blocks being added to the channel this summer. No word about negociation status, but its carriage on Vidéotron is a big strategic one.
Old 2012-05-14, 01:03 PM   #58
expressmoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3020prob View Post
During this process, they have to pick new HD channels by priority: the most popular channels, Quebecor-owned channels, and those channels offering unique programming.
Unfortunately most popular channels and Quebecor-owned channels are usually french ones.
There are many anglo ones that fall into the "unique programming category" like the ones you mentioned in your post however most of them are owned by Shaw (HGTV, Food, Showcase etc.) so guess we will not see them any time soon.
Old 2012-05-15, 01:44 PM   #59
julie_rose_

the representant couldn't even tell me if they were going to add Cartoon Network or Fx Canada! Didn't have any answer.
Old 2012-05-24, 01:34 PM   #60
Cantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_rose_ View Post
the representant couldn't even tell me if they were going to add Cartoon Network or Fx Canada! Didn't have any answer.
do you really think the phone-monkeys have this kind of information handy?
Closed Thread