On the FRENCH channels / Canaux FRANCAIS - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Old 2011-12-11, 07:31 AM   #1
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Default On the FRENCH channels / Canaux FRANCAIS

WHAT GOOD QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT AND PROGRAMMING DO YOU SEE AND LIKE ON THE FRENCH LANGUAGE CHANNELS?

A while ago a member on the FRENCH part of the FORUM started a thread, and mentioned he was not so happy with some of the programming seen on the multitude / the many channels he had with his BDU package.

A lot of filler, and very little good quality programs ... that was the general idea.

I wanted to reply again, but it seems that thread he started is gone / and so are the posts (Can not find them anymore).

So anyway - I will start this THREAD to discuss and share good quality content you see find and watch on some of the FRENCH channels and networks.

WHAT GOOD QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT AND PROGRAMMING DO YOU SEE AND LIKE ON THE FRENCH LANGUAGE CHANNELS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-11, 07:41 AM   #2
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

1. TFO - Television Francaise Ontario - Sunday night Operas. Starting round 8PM usually.
(TFO = the French Language Public TV channel serving Ontario)

2. TV5 "TV CINQ" from FRANCE.
program: LE PLUS GRAND CABARET DU MONDE.
On Saturday Night, I think, starting around 9PM going till around 10:30PM.
Vareity show. artists, musicians, performance, comedy, short interviews and discussion, round table celebrity guests of all sorts.
Very entertaining to watch - even if you don't speak much French.

3. Tele Quebec - Public TV Broadcaster from Province of Quebec.
program: BELLE ET BUM
Think it comes on Saturday night, maybe around 9PM.
Nice hosts, program. Quebec artists, musicians, interviews and performance.

These are a just a few of the French languange programs I've noticed.

I am sure there are many more - depending on your tastes.
Old 2011-12-12, 07:14 PM   #3
cyberchem

I don't see the use of this thread but anyway...
Les Parent
Tout le monde en parle

Plusieurs autres que ma conjointe aime bien.

J'espère que tu seras plus heureux et que tu comprendras que possiblement peu de Canadiens Français ou English parlent les deux langues. Finalement, peut-être que la proportion de français n'est pas si grande que tu le prétends. Je peux certainement comprendre que Desperate housewives est certainement aussi agréable que beauté désespérées.

Live long and prosper.
Old 2011-12-12, 08:34 PM   #4
mille

Default canaux

the right word is canaux, not canneaux

Le code Chastenay
is a good scientific show ( Télé-Québec)
Découverte (Radio-Canada) is another one,
Enquête is like 60 minutes, but in french (SRC)
Old 2011-12-13, 03:35 PM   #5
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberchem
I don't see the use of this thread but anyway...
Yes, I understand the "strangeness" of this Thread that I have created.

A thread in English about French programs you like ? Find good?

One could say that this thread would reach a smaller part of society.

[ But be positive / optomistic - because I believe there are many who do appreciate programs on both French and English networks / channels ]

I have lived and worked in both Ontario and Quebec (Montreal) - and so I can appreciate programs in both French and English / from both French and English networks.

[ Montreal I found has many cultures represented - very multi-cultural ]

Ottawa (where I happen to work now) is close to Quebec - just across the Ottawa river is Gatineau / Hull.

Much bilingualism here in Ottawa / National Capital Region /and both English and French culture are here - either side of the Ottawa river.

(Myself? I am first generation, born in Canada, but my cultural roots (Parents) originate from yet another European culture - I would say "close" to the French one - so I can appreciate all of this myself - on a certain personal level.)

It is refreshing and I can appreciate the richness and variety.

I hope to share this with other members of the Forum.

I'm trying to pull out and share the "GEMS" - the "JEWELS" of the programs. The very best, most interesting and most entertaining programs. The real QUALITY content.

The programs really worth devoting our very valuable time to watch.

[ In a thousand channel universe - I am learning that one must really search for, find, and choose carefully the programs to devote valuable personal time to watch ]

[ Thousand channel + Internet + Recorded DVD / blue ray + Pay per view + + + + .... makes so much choice now it is incredible ! ]

P.S. Yes, thank you, I think I have seen before "Enquete" and "Decouverte" - but not in a long time.

An oh YA ! Tout le Monde en Parle now I remember this one too ... I have seen it not too long ago. Discussion of interesting current important issues. Yes.

Thank you for reminding me of those programs !

[ Sorry for any of my errors in French - I'm definitely not perfect ... ]

Sting:
" I'm an Englishman in New York"

Me:
" Je suis Anglophone a Quebec " (dans le passe ... anyway )
Old 2011-12-13, 04:21 PM   #6
Tanta

While channel surfing, I stumbled on 'Le Guide de l'Auto' on Vox; a comprehensive 'car culture' program. The shows are varied and examine all types of automotive vehicle; vintage, green, racing and rare prototype vehicles. The contributors are knowledgeable and sometimes quite opinionated. So if you are tired of the conflictual 'American Chopper', here's a substitute!
Old 2011-12-15, 03:05 PM   #7
hercules130

mrvanwinkles:

Si vous aimez TLMEP, peut-etre Dumont 360?

Moi, le seul emission en francais que je regarde regulierement est Le hockey des Canadiens a RDS, bien sur.

Desole de ne utilise pas les signes diacritiques appropries.
Old 2012-01-04, 11:03 PM   #8
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Ah yes ... Dumont 360.

(I remember from the past. I should return to Montreal.)

During the holidays I saw:

La Vie est un Cirque

TV5 from France, 3AM-4AM Sat Dec 31, 2011

(similar to Le Plus Grand Cabaret du Monde - I mentioned earlier)
Old 2012-01-09, 12:59 AM   #9
SakeW

1 program that seems really promising and it's beginning this week (Tues. 8pm) is Apparences.

Quote:
Apparences tells the story of the Bérubé twin sisters: one, Nathalie, is an reknown actress and the other, Manon, is a teacher at the elementary school she attended as a child. Apparences begins on the birthday of the Bérubé twin sisters. The day the whole family gathers to celebrate the 40th birthday of Nathalie and Manon; that day when everything changes ... Apparences delves into the deep waters of the search for identity, including the twin cell. This psychological thriller unfolds around the family Bérubé. Do we know what the other one is going through? What is hidden behind every face, every look? Do we really know those whom we meet every day? Do we know ourselves? And in our thirst for truth, do we not, in the end, look for only one thing: to go beyond appearances?

Number of episodes: 10
Length of episodes: 60 minutes
Broadcaster: Radio-Canada
It's gonna be on Tuesdays @ 8pm and like most of Radio-Canada programs it will be available on www.tou.tv
Old 2012-01-16, 01:22 PM   #10
aWcMTL

Default Chabotte et fille...

...is a great "detective" show, all shot in Québec City with local comedians and technicians. Very, very good; starting its 3rd season. The lead actress is young Claudiane Ruellan: she is very charming.

On Tele-Québec, Monday night at 10 pm. I think there are a couple of repeats during the week as well.
Old 2012-01-17, 11:39 AM   #11
aWcMTL

Default more...

This is a great thread BTW.
A must for quality/repertoire movie lovers: Cinema on Tele-Québec!
The selection of movies is exceptional. Sure sometimes the french versions of american movies can be annoying, but TQ is the only place where you can see uncut quality movies in HD with NO publicity interruptions!
Check your listings. In the summer, they have movies almost every night at 9:00
Old 2012-01-17, 02:31 PM   #12
FrankTurbo

Well to be honnest I love to be French! there is many programs I watch
in french but if I had to chose my top 2 it would be ....

Tout le monde en parle
BELLE ET BUM
Hockey

I can watch French and english tv and it gives me alot of option.
Old 2012-03-23, 06:32 AM   #13
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Default RE: Belle et Bum - on Tele Quebec

Last weekend I recorded 2 shows of Belle et Bum:

1. Last Friday night - Mar 16 - I think they replayed the show from the previous week (Show from Saturday Mar 10 ?)

2. Last Saturday night - Mar 17 - the live show from that night proper (?)

And, not sure, but maybe they do the same thing this weekend:

Tonight - Fri Mar 23 - they will show last Saturday's show again.
Tomorrow night - Sat Mar 24 - another new live show - and I understand this may be the LAST new/live show of THIS season.

ANYWAY ...

Last night I just had the time (finally) to watch my 2 recordings of Belle et Bum.

Man ... I found those shows really good and nice and entertaining.

They had Quebec singer/artist Stephanie Bedard singing and did a version of Aerosmith's / Steve Tyler's "Dream On" - and she sang that really well with a great personal version and interpretation. She added a very unique "vibrato" in her voice that, I thought, worked really well, and sounded good and very unique.

The hosts of the show - Belle et Bum - are really nice and good. The young blond lady, host, who does the show introductions, I did not catch her name yet, is really good. She speaks in a very nice clear and unique French voice and when she speaks the tone of her voice sounds ... itself ... almost musical !

All the guest artists are very unique and entertaining.

The French / Quebec popular songs - unique and entertaining.

The lady backup singer on the show, the tallish one with the straight long hair, sang that "Ton arriere arriere grand pere" song at the end- Wow - that lady backup singer on the show - she herself could probably headline, and star on the show herself a few songs.

The second show I recorded - Stephanie Bedard - sang a version of Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting"

It all rocked. Looked great. Sounded great. And was very entertaining.

And it's broadcast OTA in HD 5.1 I think ... that must really be awsome to watch like that !

It sounds like the show is done live at "Le National" in Montreal on St Catherine Street. And they said you can get tickets and go see it live.

I will record again this saturday night.

All the best.

I recommend:

Watch Belle et Bum - tonight Friday night (replay of last Saturday's show) and Saturday night (new, live show)- awsome.
Old 2012-03-23, 09:24 AM   #14
mrvanwinkles
Veteran

Re: Belle et Bum

internet link to website:

http://belleetbum.telequebec.tv/band

Quote:
The hosts of the show - Belle et Bum - are really nice and good.
Normand Brathwaite - "Animateur"

Quote:
The young blond lady, host, who does the show introductions
Geneviève Borne - "Animatrice"

Quote:
The lady backup singer on the show, the tallish one with the straight long hair, sang that "Ton arriere arriere grand pere" song at the end- Wow - that lady backup singer on the show - she herself could probably headline, and star on the show herself a few songs.
Geneviève Jodoin - "Choriste"

( my goodness ... go on the website and read Ms Jodoin's "biography / career" !)

( and read also on the website the FAN comments ! )

... and all the Belle et Bum BAND members and guests and crew ... awsome.

Thank You !
Old 2012-07-24, 12:28 AM   #15
SakeW

Here's another suggestion for you

Les chefs ( Monday 8pm on the SRC and on tou.tv)

Les chefs is a cooking game show but not quite like Masterchef .

Here's some key elements of the show:
-the 14 contestants are junior chefs with experience ranging from 4 to 10 years and they are lead by a chef, Daniel Vézina, who served as a mentor and is also the co-host of the show.
-The contestants have 2 hrs to prepare a meal using a specific product and/or a specific theme , during that time the judges (3 permanents judges and sometimes a special guest) are in a separate room and are watching the contestants through monitors , only Daniel Vézina is physically present with the contestants.
-During the judges deliberations , the contestants are waiting in the "living room" talking to each others, commenting on their performance
-There's a final battle between 2 contestants to determine the one who will be eliminated from the competition, during that battle the judges are physically there with the contestants and the others contestants are watching the battle from the living room through monitors
-At the end of the show , Daniel Vézina is giving a short lesson .

Also here's a general point regarding not only Les Chefs but any kind of talent competiton show presented in Quebec:
No bitching or any kind of disrespectful remarks ! A Gordon Ramsay or Simon Cowell wannabe simply wouldn't pass here .
Even though it's a competition , the contestants are friendly with each others .