Leasing more than one IP - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Sasktel

Old 2011-11-30, 03:14 AM   #1
arez
Rookie

Default Leasing more than one IP

Anyone successfully leasing more than one public IP address from Sasktel on a high speed service? This should be common, but I have had no success. SaskTel L1/L2 support has been of no help. So far, they have claimed I am the first person ever to make such request.

According to High Speed Ultra specification - "Dynamic IP addresses included: 8"
arez is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-30, 10:49 AM   #2
Tim Cake

Default D-DNS

You should look at an implementation of dynamic dns (D-DNS). Place a D-DNS client on all the pcs and it will update the dynamic IPs into hostnames on the dynamic dns servers. Do a little reading on this -- it should help with your problem.
Tim Cake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-30, 12:04 PM   #3
arez
Rookie

Default DHCP Lease Issue

The primary issue is that I simply can't get a public address to work on the LAN.

SaskTel uses DHCP. The WAN interface gets a dynamic public IP and the LAN is NAT'ed 172.16.x.x address. My virtual office doesn't like to be NAT'ed... hence the need for a public IP.

SaskTel permits lease of of up to 8 IP on my service plan. I can configure the gateway (2WIRE) to lease the IP to my LAN connected device, but I can't get anywhere with it.
arez is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-30, 03:45 PM   #4
Tim Cake

Default NAT

That would be double nat... and in most cases getting it to work is problematical.

Are you using the little firewall in the adsl modem?
If so, I would recommend you resurrect an old pentium machine and install smoothwall on it. Go to www.smoothwall.org and look at the docs for their public domain (free of charge) firewall. They have various add-ins for VPN use. It also has packet filtering and re-directing capabilities which will be useful in your case.
Tim Cake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-01, 12:05 PM   #5
Tikker

you need to get the 2wire set to bridge mode, and then connect it to a switch

from there, each pc will be able to grab a public DHCP address
Tikker is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-07, 06:58 PM   #6
Warren_G
Rookie

Is it just that your virtual office needs an external IP address? If so, bridging the 2Wire will help if you have a switch. I am still not sure why you need more than one external IP address, I have had no trouble connecting 2 routers to my 2wire so I have 2 separate networks in the house. There hasnt been a single app, game or tool that hasnt worked just fine this way.
Warren_G is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.