Bell gets approval for new specialty TV channel called Bella - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-11-25, 05:13 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Bell gets approval for new specialty TV channel called Bella

In a broadcast decision handed down today, the CRTC has approved an application by Bell Media for a new national English language Category B specialty channel called Bella.

The new station would be devoted to programming that relates to relationships, lifestyle, beauty, trends and style, and that includes features, coverage of live events and commentary on politics and modern culture from the female perspective. The proposed service would focus on the interests and needs of young professional women, young mothers, and women between the ages of 18 and 34.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-25, 05:47 PM   #2
Smog

I think it's time for the gov to stop giving money for that kind of non sense. they give tax credit for production of shows on another money money loosing channel...

or at least force the providers to pay the ota channels like CTV global and others
Old 2011-11-25, 05:49 PM   #3
hugh
Member #1

The government is not giving them money. They simply approved an application.
Old 2011-11-25, 11:31 PM   #4
Francois Caron
Veteran

Yep. No money is exchanged in a license application process, aside from the consultants you might hire to help you prepare and submit the application (not a requirement). You only start paying for the license once your channel is on the air and earns a minimum amount of revenue, which is a small percentage of the revenues earned above the minimum amount.
Francois Caron is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-26, 09:41 AM   #5
musimax

In Smog's defence here, he/she doesn't seem to be inferring that the government is giving money directly to these corporations/channels, but is instead talking about tax credits for productions. And, Smog, trust me, this channel won't have to worry about that since it will likely not be producing anything itself, instead it will just rely on American programming and reruns of Canadian shows from other Bell Media properties.
musimax is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-26, 01:00 PM   #6
gonkster

The weird thing here is that Rogers got approval for pretty much the same channel called Contessa earlier this year. http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/02/ro...y-tv-channels/

Quote:
Contessa would be devoted to programming on relationships, lifestyle, beauty, trends and style, and that would focus on the interests and needs of working women aged between 25 and 54 years.
You would think they would have intervened unless they have already given up on ever trying to launch it.
gonkster is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-26, 01:40 PM   #7
Francois Caron
Veteran

There's no format protection with Category B channels, unlike Category A channels where the channel is granted a monopoly on their format. This is why you can't launch your own current releases movie channel because it would compete against TMN, a Cat. A channel. But you can launch your own classic/reruns TV channel that directly competes against other Cat. B channels such as DéjàView and TVLand.

As long as Bell's new channel doesn't directly compete against any existing Cat. A channel (unless it's one of their own channels in which case the license application wouldn't be contested by the Cat. A channel), the new channel can do pretty much whatever they've indicated in their license application.
Francois Caron is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-26, 02:48 PM   #8
Gino Cerullo

From the description it sounds pretty much like a clone of Cosmopolitan TV. Roger's Contessa is pretty much the same except it's aimed at a slightly older demographic.
Gino Cerullo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-11-26, 06:26 PM   #9
Tridus

Why do they even bother regulating these things? It's just yet another dumping ground for reruns and cheap reality shows.

TV in Canada becomes more of a wasteland every year.
Tridus is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
bell, bella, crtc, specialty channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.