CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code update to iS2 & iS2+ - Page 87 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-13, 02:06 PM   #1291
buckycat

My picture just froze, then it went to the Arris logo and rebooted by itself. Anything to do with the update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-13, 05:08 PM   #1292
twism
Rookie

I have had that a few times in the past and it was just my portal crashing. However lets hope it was the update. Have you noticed any improvements in performance or problems you were having. What firmware is yours showing
Old 2012-04-13, 05:40 PM   #1293
cafebrad

How will we know for sure when its complete. new firmware #s
Old 2012-04-13, 05:51 PM   #1294
TechGuy8

I checked the firmware update date for my gateway and my portals. They are not updated yet.
Old 2012-04-13, 05:53 PM   #1295
Cudtz

Location: Canada:Sony,Samsung,Panasonic TV's.Gateway + 3 Portals,Tube TV -HD Box(moto),VAIO,PS3,BR,Sling,Cisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam007 View Post
@Cudtz: Hey how do you check the SNR? Is there a config menu or do you have a tester?
Is there any way to get into the Shaw Gateway Box setup to see what the settings are? I can only see the IP's and addresses and status in the Settings menu.
I take it you got the answer to your SNR question. If not... it's in the service menu under MOCA status. Little confused as to why you asked me, I'm very much a rookie with this system. If you were wondering about a different SNR.... I don't know. btw: just saw the inquiry by accident, was on the forum looking up other stuff and saw the question.
Old 2012-04-13, 05:58 PM   #1296
Cudtz

Location: Canada:Sony,Samsung,Panasonic TV's.Gateway + 3 Portals,Tube TV -HD Box(moto),VAIO,PS3,BR,Sling,Cisco

So far I have not seen any sign of an update here. Yes, I did check... last update on the Gateway and Portals was December 13, 2011. Of course... my expectations are high (that an update is coming) from a few previous posts. Will be kinda disappointed if it's not true. Not upset with the posters, they're just passing on what they've been told; which are just rumours until the updates actually roll out.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:33 PM   #1297
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

OK people, I have some details I can share that might clear things up a little.

The updates that happened yesterday and today are to the Gateway firmware but you won't see any changes because they are updates to the Modem in preparation for coming features.

The code that we will notice a difference with will be pushed to the Portals early next week and is scheduled to take up to 4 days to work through the system.

So, while I realize I may have given people 'false hope', I did say I wasn't sure if we would notice a change right away. It turns out that much is true and we now have to hold tight for a few more days when the Portal code gets sent.

I'm told it is well worth the wait, even if it might not have everything we all want right away. From here forward for the next few months there are several 'regular' updates scheduled to add both new features and additional 'fixes'.

I hope this helps and I do apologize if I gave anyone cause for any anxiety or concern.

Last edited by downbeat; 2012-04-16 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Amended at OP's request
Old 2012-04-13, 06:36 PM   #1298
Cudtz

Smile

I'm posting this here, because I believe it's related to updates (either already rolled out or upcoming.

I've seen this posted elsewhere and would like to add to it; about deleting stuff from the Gateway. The issue I have isn't so much having to delete whole folders but deleting a bunch of stuff from the folders when the amount I wish to keep are over the "keep x amount of episodes" choice in the series menu. One small thing I wouldn't mind seeing, regardless of which update it comes with would be the option to choose multiple episodes to delete, at least within the same folder. ((eg: 'Deleter one or Delete Multiple', Delete Multiple,' Are you sure?', Yes, White check boxes appear by all the shows in that folder, use arrow keys to highlight each one, ok to check each one you want deleted, scroll to the bottom and press OK on box labelled - DELETE CHECKED, 'Are you sure you want to delete these episodes? - This Action Cannot be undone', Yes)) Then wait a few moments as the Gateway erases the selected episodes. Really not much if any different than deleting emails or videos from my computer. Another option I'd like would be to "LOCK" programs for those times when I want to erase all but one or two episodes. Simply put - trying to erase episodes one at time is a PITA. Especially when you have more than two or three episodes that you want to be rid of.

It would also be nice to have a smidge more control of when some show's record. There are a couple shows that I have set up on series record that record on certain times each day, but 90% of the shows are repeats. I know when the new episode comes out each week, but I don't have the option to set a specific day and time; only specific times. Series record and don't record repeats doesn't work on this one. (it doesn't list as new or repeats, so the gateway treats all the episodes as repeats.)

Then there's those times when you go to watch a show that you recorded and something else comes up. I know it's the guide not being updated in time and the Gateway just recording the show because it was still listed in that timeslot. Hasn't happened often, but has raised my eyebrows a few times.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:44 PM   #1299
Cudtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetranger View Post
OK people, I have some details I can share that might clear things up a little.

The updates that happened yesterday and today are to the Gateway firmware but you won't see any changes because they are updates to the Modem in preparation for coming features. (Yes, Shaw, I know what you are doing)

The code that we will notice a difference with will be pushed to the Portals starting on Monday and is scheduled to take up to 4 days to work through the system.

So, while I realize I may have given people 'false hope', I did say I wasn't sure if we would notice a change right away. It turns out that much is true and we now have to hold tight for a few more days when the Portal code gets sent.

I'm told it is well worth the wait, even if it might not have everything we all want right away. From here forward for the next few months there are several 'regular' updates scheduled to add both new features and additional 'fixes'.

I hope this helps and I do apologize if I gave anyone cause for any anxiety or concern.
Thanks for the update on the updates. So does that mean that the Gateway itself won't show an update since the update was to do with the Modem Portion of the Gateway?

Have you ever asked your Shaw Connections why they don't send messages to the Gateways about what's being done or rolled out? You know, that messages box that always says 'No Messages'. ((Just curious, not an issue - since this forum is around))

so.... Monday the waiting begins again to see what happens with the Portal update. Thanks again for passing along what you've been told.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:52 PM   #1300
JethroChoiceBro
Rookie

Default new code

I notice in the settings menu there is now a 'recording space' option to tell you how full the drive is. I believe this is new to this latest code? (or did i just not notice it before?)

Incidentally i also had some channel mapping issues after the update - CTV HD (ch 210) all of a sudden started showing the Sportsnet West SD channel, which was kinda weird, took a reboot to fix.

Looking forward to seeing the real changes
Old 2012-04-13, 07:09 PM   #1301
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Shaw are very protective of what they are working on and don't like even speculating on 'delivery dates' as they inevitably get pushed back and that makes them look bad. Completely understandable because it does make them look bad, because they are. The sad thing is, these systems are so complex now and contain so much proprietary coding that Shaw is at the mercy of Arris, in this case, and Arris is challenged by Shaw's complex systems architecture and have to be creative to make their stuff work on it.

So, I believe this is largely why Shaw never bothers to tell us when they are going to send an update. This one is a big upset already as they were telling us we would see it likely before the end of January in the beginning and look how far into the year we are already. Some here have stated that they wouldn't be surprised to get only one or two updates a year, given the track record set by Motorola. We are getting another update within 4 months of the last one so that is some improvement for sure.

I'm told there will be no visible changes to the Gateway Ver #s because of the type of update and that it is for just the Modem so don't be discouraged to find no 'update' to the numbers. I don't know if this will change with the Portal update or not but we will see within the next week.

I know the updates are happening because everyone posting here was ruffling some feathers at Shaw today so it's good to know they are still paying attention to us.

Last edited by downbeat; 2012-04-16 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Last sentence amended at OP's request
Old 2012-04-13, 07:36 PM   #1302
Cudtz

Understood. Here's to a more noticable .... positive? difference to the supposed update coming to the portals. You do realize that by saying the update was for the modem that re-opened a certain can of worms. That's all I'll say as I can think of a few things a modem update could begin prepping the Gateway for ---- but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by forthcoming updates. At least Shaw's updates don't typically make the system unusable for hours at a time, even if we have to wait for them. Glad to hear we're ruffling feathers.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:33 PM   #1303
Gord Lacey
Veteran

As always, thanks for the update, Jet!
Old 2012-04-13, 09:56 PM   #1304
roopster77

Location: Sry/Cloverdale, BC Epson 8350 & 110" Screen... Shaw Gateway & 5 Portals... PS-3 & Harmony One

I look forward to all things updated! I must say I was initially sad when I checked the version numbers and saw no changes; fortunately, little birds started swirling around with information - information really does keep us happier. I get the delays, I used to work for a living...
Old 2012-04-13, 11:22 PM   #1305
sixpac

hope it actually happens
Closed Thread