CRTC rules broadcasters must turn down the volume on commercials - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-01-31, 02:01 PM   #46
itcamrch

Completely intentional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-08, 11:44 AM   #47
Dr.Dave

Default Final regulations - September 1, 2012 deadline

CRTC published the final regulations requiring Canadian broadcasters and broadcasting distributors to control the loudness of TV commercials by September 1, 2012.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2012/r120508.htm
Old 2012-08-16, 02:17 AM   #48
excatvdude

Location: Grande Prairie, AB 1x3400M, 1xDCX700, 1xSB5680 NW, Wii, PS3
Default Commercial Shhhhhh

Hi All - Is Sept 1/12 the day the commercials can't be louder than the program? I can't remember when it was announced last year what the exact effective date was.

Last edited by 57; 2012-08-16 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Originally posted in Eastlink, moved to existing thread.
Old 2012-08-16, 06:14 AM   #49
David1953

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)

This issue is not the responsibility of Eastlink, since they simply pass along the signals from the broadcasters, and the requirement to have more balanced sound levels between ads and regular programming lies squarely in their hands. Let's hope that they follow through, and my best recollection is that September is indeed the month this regulation does take place. I cannot recall the exact date, though.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:13 AM   #50
Lindsay649

Several times now on CTV the commercials sound level have been very low compared to the program. Perhaps they are trying something. Not holding my breath......remember the screwups with sim-subs and the numerous excuses given. The technology has been around for some time......even old televisions had sound leveling between channels as you switched OTA . (that did not work with single source DTH or Cable.) Strange but true a lot of people have never changed the actual channels on their television sets.
Old 2012-08-28, 08:27 AM   #51
stationg

A few days away? I'm getting sick of the loud commercials. I mute with my remote.

I sure hope this rule is for real come sept 1! A few days away.
Old 2012-08-28, 09:00 AM   #52
sailmaker

I have a new LG 50" set and I notice on a lot of programs when the commercial comes on the volume is very loud for about a 1/2 second or even less and cuts down. I seem to remember that this television has a volume equalizer or whatever and I attributed the volume cut back to this. Maybe the suppliers are actually working on a solution. They have 3 days to deadline. Lots of luck with that.
Old 2012-09-01, 01:50 AM   #53

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I'm not sure if this is caused by the broadcaster or the provider, but let me know if you've noticed this. I've noticed that on channels that carry commercials, when you return from the commercial, the volume is lower on the programme than when you broke for commercial. Then after a few seconds, the programme returns to normal volume. This has been happening for a couple of weeks.

Since I never watch commercials (FF through them) I always thought there was an issue with the programme, but I have now picked up on this pattern. I'm with Rogers and I've noticed it on some Discovery HD programming and on Colbert (CTV Vancouver HD). Much of the TV I watch doesn't have commercials (TMNHD, PBSHD) so it took me a while to track down the pattern..

I'm guessing that some sort of "auto levelling" kicks in at the start of commercials and then takes a few seconds to "kick back out" to the proper level after coming back from commercial. Please advise if you've noticed, which channels, and which provider.
Old 2012-09-01, 05:17 AM   #54
gzink

Finally the CBC seems to have lowered most commercials. Unfortunately the programs I watch are still poor sound so cbc needs a volume setting 25-30% higher than other hd channels.
Old 2012-09-01, 11:11 AM   #55
Dr.Dave

Default CRTC Press Release

OTTAWA-GATINEAU, August 30, 2012 — Today, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) announced that new rules requiring Canadian broadcasters and broadcasting distributors to control the loudness of television commercials come into force on September 1, 2012.

“Starting on September 1, Canadians will be able to enjoy their favourite television programs without having to adjust the volume during commercial breaks,” said Jean-Pierre Blais, Chairman of the CRTC. “We appreciate the efforts undertaken by the broadcasting industry to conform to the new standard and ensure that programs and commercials are transmitted at a similar volume.”

Broadcasters and television service providers must adhere to an objective international standard for measuring and controlling television signals. It is important to note, however, that loudness is a perception that is dependent on a number of factors, including the nature and content of the audio material. Some frequencies are perceived to be soothing, while others are more irritating to the human ear. As a result, a commercial can be broadcast at a similar volume, or audio level, as the program that preceded it, but perceived to be of different loudness.

The international standard only applies to digital television services and not to analog services. Viewers who are unsure if they subscribe to analog or digital television services should contact their cable company. Furthermore, the United States will adopt the same international standard by the end of the year. Until then, viewers watching the over-the-air signals of American television stations may be exposed to excessively loud ads.

Viewers who believe that a commercial was broadcast at an excessively loud volume should:
  • First contact the broadcaster or television service provider about their concerns and attempt to resolve the complaint directly.
  • If the concerns are not addressed to their satisfaction, viewers may then submit a complaint to the CRTC via its website or by the other means listed on the website.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2012/r120830.htm
Old 2012-09-01, 02:28 PM   #56
reidw
Veteran

I've never noticed any difference in the volume but with so many here commenting on it I guess I'll have to believe it really does happen.
Old 2012-09-02, 10:38 AM   #57
BKman74

it depends actually on how loud or low your volume is on your tv. for sure, i noticed the sound has gone a little quieter.
Old 2012-09-02, 11:58 AM   #58
gzink

Depends on your setup. Simple tv audio would not be as apparent compared to 5.1 dolby with ......
Old 2012-09-02, 12:55 PM   #59

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Sometimes the difference can be attributed to the fact that the (louder) ad is DD2.0 while the programme is DD5.1 (or rarely vice versa).
Old 2012-09-05, 03:19 PM   #60
stationg

I notice no difference. I have tv hooked up via my receiver. Sound is definitely louder on commercials. No change.