DTV Transition Day, Aug. 31, 2011, Finally Arrives: How Do You Feel? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

View Poll Results: DTV Transition Arrives: How Do You Feel?
In Ecstasy! 48 25.95%
Mostly happy 76 41.08%
Somewhat happy 28 15.14%
Somewhat unhappy 15 8.11%
Mostly unhappy 12 6.49%
Freaking out in utter despair, you insensitive clod!!!! 2 1.08%
Huh? What's VDT? 4 2.16%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-01, 02:21 AM   #61
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Hee hee, I did the same with the U.S. transition, re_nelson!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-09-01, 06:46 AM   #62
blakew

Default it feels like Christmas morning

I'm just doing the channel scan now. It found 6 new, but I'm thinking that's because of some channels shuffling on the dial.
Old 2011-09-01, 07:02 AM   #63
vap57

Location: Mississauga, ON: North of Dundas on west side of Winston Churchill between Laird & Orleans.

I am mostly happy. I gained nothing. (Yesterday I was receiving ION all day until about 10 p.m. last night. I was hoping it was a permanent event, but alas it turned out to be tropo. I rescanned this morning, and found that I have lost SUN TV, which is no big deal for me. I was hoping to maybe receive WBBZ after the transition, but that hasn't happened. I did purchase a CS5 (using indoors) so I could receive CHCH and CTV Toronto, which are coming in just fine. So all in all with my CS2 & CS5 (used indoors) I receive all Buffalo channels except ION and WBBZ, all Toronto Channel and CHCH from Hamilton. I am not receiving a CTV2 signal from Barrie.
Old 2011-09-01, 07:23 AM   #64
Superstrech
Rookie

I just did a channel scan. It's looking quite good so far. I got channel 11 back last week but it fades out by mid day . Will see if that improves. I gained channel 26 but that's going into my skip list. I lost Sun TV but was able to re-add it manualy; too bad it's only staying up till the end of October.
Old 2011-09-01, 07:34 AM   #65
vap57

Location: Mississauga, ON: North of Dundas on west side of Winston Churchill between Laird & Orleans.

Superstretch...you may want to keep 26.3. It shows a lot of old TV shows from the 50's & 60's. It also shows some movies. It's kind of like RTV Light.
Old 2011-09-01, 07:39 AM   #66
Superstrech
Rookie

Thanks Vap57 will do.
Old 2011-09-01, 07:42 AM   #67
prose116
Rookie

So far it looks good. Only having problems with CTV2 Barrie. Might have to send the little woman up the tower to adjust.
Old 2011-09-01, 07:43 AM   #68
Humbar

I picked up a YA-1713 for VHF and that seems to have done the trick for me. I can recieve CHCH now as well as CKVR and WBBZ which I never recieved before. The only catch here is that I have to aim right at each station to recieve it, and I've got an attic setup so no rotor. This antenna seems very directional.
Old 2011-09-01, 08:44 AM   #69
topherpaquette

Location: Windsor, Ontario... Samsung LNT4053, PS3 Slim 120GB, Mac Mini HTPC

so my final decision with the Canadian DTV transition is mostly unhappy as I lost both CTV2 and CBC here in Windsor. I am able to get all the Detroit major networks as my back up with a simple indoor antenna so find it weird that I cannot get either of my local channels.
Old 2011-09-01, 10:25 AM   #70
cptcarter

Tother, did you do a re-scan this morning? I am in Amherstburg and getting CBC 9.1 at 100% and CTV 2 (A Channel) at 63%.
Old 2011-09-01, 11:19 AM   #71
InTheAir
Rookie

I'm pretty happy with everything. All my local stations are much stronger except CHCH (not reliable anymore).... buffalo stations remain the same, as expected.

I did get two surprises.... CFTO is coming in load and clear. I was expecting trouble with its low power. CKVR 3.1 (RF10) appeared, I didn't get analog 10 or 3 (whichever) before so I'm not sure why it has made an appearance. It isn't strong but it makes me wonder about tweaking my setup to see if I can get it better.

Cheers!
Old 2011-09-01, 11:54 AM   #72
rmchahn

Location: OTtAwa (Byward Market); Sony Bravia KDL46SL140; Mini State HDMS9100

I'm mostly happy after the digital transition. Snowy channels from Herbert Corners are replaced with clear digital signals. Disappointed that CHCH is broadcasting only in 480i. I also have sound issues with CHOT. Overall quite happy.

Now I'll have to work on receiving some U.S. signals which have been non-existent for me.
Old 2011-09-01, 02:52 PM   #73
robman50

I am really happy. I got myself my first 1080p TV a while back and then cable HD service got way to expensive so I canceled them. Then later I went to OTA. Now I can get all the local stations in HD for free rather than paying a monthly fee.
Old 2011-09-01, 06:26 PM   #74
USA CBC fan

Before transition actually came, I was not quite sure I would continue to get TVO (CICO32) and concluded I would have a less-than-even chance with CBC (CBET), in the case of the latter, due to electrical interference already being visible when CBET was analog, and knowing they would further reduce power when transitioning to digital.

Good news came when CICO32 transitioned with a usable signal that has not yet been too weak to decode (wish they could fix their PSIP mess). I do have to have the chimney antenna pointed right at it to watch it, however (but that program about astronomy during the renaissance was well worth it).

Now CBET unexpectedly has power to spare. I wonder if they are using more power than originally planned, or came on as omnidirectional instead of directional.

I still think CBC should not be shutting down any transmitters and really should put minority language on x.2 wherever they have built out only one digital transmitter - they seem to be deliberately denying service to some viewers even where it would cost (virtually) nothing to provide it (can I change my screen name?)
Old 2011-09-01, 10:36 PM   #75
Insomniac

I don't get a CKVU signal at all. Two nights ago I was watching high quality programming in HD on KBTC. Now I get a lousy 480i picture on KBTC because of a station with low quality programming I can't even receive. What a rip off!
Closed Thread