DTV Transition Day, Aug. 31, 2011, Finally Arrives: How Do You Feel? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

View Poll Results: DTV Transition Arrives: How Do You Feel?
In Ecstasy! 48 25.95%
Mostly happy 76 41.08%
Somewhat happy 28 15.14%
Somewhat unhappy 15 8.11%
Mostly unhappy 12 6.49%
Freaking out in utter despair, you insensitive clod!!!! 2 1.08%
Huh? What's VDT? 4 2.16%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-31, 12:03 PM   #31
bgclarke
Veteran

Meh.

Although DTV is a backup for us, when I rescanned the other day I only had 4 DTV stations (CBC, CBC F, OMNI 1 & 2). Nothing else is coming in.

I can't put up an antenna mast so am limited to using an indoor antenna.
My ZSS is not doing the job.

I'm off Friday, so I'll have some more time to tinker with antenna positioning and see what I can come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-31, 12:38 PM   #32
writerpatrick

Oshawa isn't getting served well, although by fussing with indoor antennas and direction I've been able to get most of the Toronto channels in so far. CTV is currently the hardest to get even though it wasn't bad on analogue. I am definitely relieved that Canada is finally switching over but disappointed that the signal strength on many of the channels isn't as strong as I hoped it would be. I'll have to wait until all stations fully transition until I can make my final assessment. I'm mainly waiting to see how well CityTV will come in.
Old 2011-08-31, 12:46 PM   #33
phannon

I was torn in picking a choice for the poll. I chose #2, but I am in ecstasy in regards to the picture quality on NTV HD vs analogue and cannot wait for the CBC transition....at 12:00 tonight!!!???

The not so good part is I hope the drastically reduced CBC signal level will come in OK...I guess I will find out in a couple hours....but after midnight, come on....though NTV HD also started up around 10:00 or so in the evening a few weeks ago....

The other problem I have with the transition is...in the St. John's area we have two...count 'em two major broadcasts, NTV and CBC (analogue 6 and 8) along with a weak CBC French (which I assume will be shutting down) and a couple low powered analogue repeaters. So, what happens....NTV is on 21.1 and CBC gets to stay on 8.1...my deep fringe VHF is no good for NTV and I had to get a new antenna for VHF high / UHF...why couldn't the powers that be put both stations either in VHF high or UHF, it would make things a bit easier in terms of antennas, why the differences for only two stations?

Waiting for midnight...
P.E.H.
Old 2011-08-31, 12:47 PM   #34
classicsat
Veteran

Meh for me also.

Where I live, at this time there are no local stations transitioning to digital.
It will leave easier digital tropo, or I might get Kitchener to London with a tower antenna.
Old 2011-08-31, 01:16 PM   #35
Sid-146

I am happy with the the digital changeover so far.

My recent scan of digital stations is here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...62#post1308562

I have been receiving OTA in NW Nepean for just over two years, no cable, no satellite ( I also use Netflix Canada) the savings have been substantial.

Some of the analogue signals have been poor, but today the image quality of the digital transmissions is excellent. TVO making the change to digital has been the jewel in the crown for me.

At present my CM4221HD and EyeTV are capturing 11 digital channels (sadly I do not have CHCH reception yet), fingers crossed for Télé-Québec, V and TVA.

Hopefully, as the analogue signals disappear, I may be able to start some DX viewing

Strange as it may seem, global is no problem for me.
Old 2011-08-31, 01:22 PM   #36
LONSat

Cool Not so great for me

Mostly unhappy as DTV as a backup service is mostly a big wash for me. Losing existing analog to non-existent digital reception, as I have a big concrete obstruction right next door and in LOS to the Byron tower. CFPL however is coming in 100%. I may get CBC for another year but not sure if they transition immediately to analog 23 or go dark while they work out the transmitter situation. They are on the same Byron tower but in analog but at substantially reduced power. Guess I will know tomorrow. I will go from 10 or so OTA signals to probably 2. Tell me again why this conversion is so great.
Old 2011-08-31, 01:41 PM   #37
OttawaGuy999

Default Ottawa area

I'm mostly unhappy.

While I am extremely thankful that I at least get CTV on 13.1, the only other channels that I receive are the public broadcasters (CBC English, CBC French and TVO) plus a handful of French stations that I'll never watch.

The reasons why I am mostly unhappy are:

1) I don't get Global on 6.1;

2) I don't get any of the stations (Omni 1, Omni 2, CTV Two, CHCH, CityTV, CTS) that are transmitted from the Herbert Corners transmitter located south of the city.
Old 2011-08-31, 02:12 PM   #38
99gecko
Veteran

Default When in doubt, ask what Yoda thinks about OTA (aka the Force)

"Remember, a HDTV's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Analog,... Snow,... Cable... The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
[/Best Yoda Impression]

Myself, I am both happy and disappointed. The transition hasn't really panned out like we had hoped prior to when it was announced in May 2007.

CRTC and CBC: What a dark path you have chosen.
Old 2011-08-31, 02:44 PM   #39
onemorecanuck
Rookie

i'm somewhat unhappy - i'm out of town until saturday so i can't sit on my couch and be present for the event. i canceled my cable 2 years ago, almost to the day, but i won't be able to tell my kids "I was there"...

lol

really, once TVO made the jump, i was very pleased. it was my only analogue channel, and one of the few i really wanted in HD.

all i'm looking forward to now is useful canadian progam guides and possible new US stations.
Old 2011-08-31, 02:52 PM   #40
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko
Myself, I am both happy and disappointed.
Too confused you are {sighing, shaking head} ...DTV Knight you will never be...
Old 2011-08-31, 03:46 PM   #41
AmowAgou

Somewhat unhappy. I want CHCH back but I am not desperate enough to put in a big VHF antenna for just one extra channel.
Old 2011-08-31, 03:46 PM   #42
BluPuk

LOL. Better check this thread out tomorrow - and again next week...but so far it's been a total flop for me. I had two analog channels with my indoor antenna (sometimes it was only one) and neither one of them is a channel I want. At the moment I am only getting one channel - TVO/28.1. All I want is CBC. CBLT - that's all. A roof antenna is not in the near future for me either.....
Old 2011-08-31, 03:51 PM   #43
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Question How Do You Feel?

Just a reminder that the topic of this thread is a simple one and that we already have a wide variety of discussion and reception report threads that are more appropriate for many of the posts I've relocated.

As always, here is one of the most useful tips about using the OTA Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
If you lose track of where your post has gone, simply go to the DHC Quick Links menu and pull down to "My Posts". Another method is to go to one of your previous posts anywhere on the DHC site and click on your own user name to the left to get to the "Find More Posts By..." menu item.
So, keep your posts in this thread strictly about the question in the poll and brief.
Old 2011-08-31, 03:57 PM   #44
Fota

I wonder if most were exclusively OTA analog TV viewers previously or if many are relatively new OTA viewers with high expectations? I was an exclusively analog OTA and I’m quite thrilled and pleased (yes, in ecstasy) with the change. Sure I might complain about not being able to get Global TV because it’s on low wattage VHF-low here in Ottawa, and complain about CityTV and the OMNIs not having PSIP program information; but that’s because I’m spoiled now since I’m getting more and better TV than I’ve ever had.
Old 2011-08-31, 04:01 PM   #45
pr92

Mostly Unhappy. Before the transition, I was getting 5, 9, 11, 41, and 47 from Toronto with an indoor antenna. 41 on the first floor no less. Now I have CFTO 9 digital coming in with my 35-year-old rabbit ears, but nothing else. 9's nice and all, but it's not 5. It's not Hockey Night in Canada. I've tried various UHF antennas but I've never gotten anything more than the Callsigns of CIII and CBLT. Not one frame of picture. It's gonna take a big rooftop antenna to do what a little one inside used to do.

On the other hand, I'm curious to see what the reception is like at my grandparents' house. They have this huge VHF antenna on the roof. It was getting CBLT-DT on RF20 even when it was just 38kW. I bet it's pulling in at least 3 more channels now.

______

EDIT: I voted too soon. Make that Somewhat Unhappy. 5 and 9 are now working for me. I liked the other channels, but 5 was the one I wanted most.

Last edited by pr92; 2011-09-01 at 12:31 AM.
Closed Thread