Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA extended again until Nov, 2014 (LTSS) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-05-20, 06:56 PM   #46
Jakeman3

Default LTSS Experience

Hey guys, as promised. I'm just reporting back on my LTSS experience... I received my reciever mid-week, no problem getting it delivered to my home in the city. Called to schedule an installation on Wednesday and Saturday was available. I received a call on Friday night from the installer to confirm... Saturday morning install - long weekend - perfect!

Bottom line, couldn't be happier, SD picture, with 15 channels.. - good channels..Basically all of the stations licensed to broadcast in my area... I can't help but think about the unwillingness of broadcasters to invest in the distribution of their signals... The privileged few who hold licenses to "shout it out", should do exactly that... Use it or lose it!!!

A program like the LTSS should be manadatory for all distributors that continue to try and monopolize content in this country..

Happy to answer any question about my service!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-20, 11:17 PM   #47
frenchophile

in an earlier post, you mention you are in Parry Sound. can you tell us which 15 channels you are receiving? also can you tell us which model receiver you have?
Old 2012-05-21, 08:33 AM   #48
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Also, can you confirm that this will be free for life?
Old 2012-05-21, 09:14 AM   #49
Cham

Is this service only for a fixed time limit? Two of the people who I got to subscribe to this have had their service discontinued over the last couple of months. Local supplier/installer says the service has been discontinued and a sub required to continue to receive Shaw satellite services. Maybe they need to contact Shaw directly? I've just been too busy the last while to deal with it...
Old 2012-05-21, 08:39 PM   #50
Jakeman3

The contract/declaration makes no mention of termination clauses, so I have to assume it is ongoing.

The channels I have are, CITY, MCTV, CHCH, CIII, CKPR, CJFD, CJBN, CKVR, CBOFT, CBLT, CFMT, Knowledge Alberta, CTV2 Alberta, The Shopping Channel, Shaw Direct barker channel.

Roger, I'll send you the form with the terms if you want it. From what I'm hearing, everyone in Ontario seems to get the same list of channels...
Old 2012-05-21, 10:07 PM   #51
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

What is Knowledge Alberta? I thought CTV2 was Alberta's educational station and Knowledge was BC's educational station. Interesting you get three Global stations and two CBC stations, but not OMNI2 (CJMT) nor TVO.
Old 2012-05-21, 10:37 PM   #52
Jakeman3

Sorry, TVO is included.. Forgot it..Also, Knowledge could very possibly from BC, I'm not very familiar with it
Old 2012-05-21, 10:41 PM   #53
Jakeman3

I find it mildly curious that CITS and CJMT are not in the mix..I get all the others...TSC is a bit odd too...
Old 2012-05-22, 09:01 AM   #54
classicsat
Veteran

Knowledge is indeed the BC public broadcaster, similar to TVO. AFAIK, it is open key (ZK) on Shaw Direct. The same with TSC. What is now CTV2 Alberta may or may not be ZK. When it was Access, it was.
Old 2012-06-22, 03:41 PM   #55
katburglars
Rookie

as for London i was shocked that they (Shaw or *Choice a.k.a.) only offered like 4 - 5 stations (july, 2011) to London city dwellings that i did not watch and was told that was all they were allowed as directed by CRTC - going on memory cant find my emails...

can anyone from London City area confirm what exactly (channels) Shaw will include as a result of the loss of locals deal? LTSS? thanks
----------------------------------------------------
edit: just confirmed with Shaw and in London, now they offer 6 channels

- CBC Toronto
- Global Toronto
- Omni 1
- TVO
- CHCH
- City

of course that is far from somone getting 15 and agent said NO way you would get 15 FREE channels via LTSS through them (and their the only ones - Shawdirect Sat) of course would have liked more but at least for those who can install their dish and point to their sat its something and at least get CBC in SD with any of their digital box if you buy one..they will supply you with a refurbished one if you dont have one and the dish of course all free...anyways wanted to clarify what post #46 suggested and
in case anyone wanted to know...cheers

Last edited by katburglars; 2012-06-22 at 04:18 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 08:58 AM   #56
roger1818
Veteran

^^^AFAIK, everyone in Ontario receives the same package in the LTSS programme. Off the top of my head, missing from your list are:
- CTV Sudbury and
- CTV2 Barrie.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:09 PM   #57
katburglars
Rookie

^^^ you dont have to take my word for it...call them up ... i know for sure 15 channels are way off the mark as for the 2 ctv s you mentioned all i know is the rep never mentioned so, who knows im only reporting what i was told by the agent at Shaw is all
Old 2012-06-23, 10:34 PM   #58
roger1818
Veteran

^^^I would trust a forum member's personal experience over a Shaw agent who is trying to sell a package you have to pay for rather than give away an LTSS package.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:28 PM   #59
HWP

We got our cottage sattelite installed last week in the Gatineau Hills area of Quebec on the LTSS package.

Very happy with it. standard definition only.

CBC (Montreal), CTV (Mon), Global (Mon), Tele-Quebec, V, TVA, Radio-Canada.
Bonus: CTVtwo Lethbridge, Knowledge BC, ShawTV (cable access channel)
Perhaps others, but I didn't find any.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:30 AM   #60
Cham

Update to post number 33 & 49:

Contacted Shaw. They said the "free local channels" was a promotion and was only a 90 day thing. A basic subscription is required to re-activate the receiver at $39/mo.

So I made two simple grey-hoverman antennas and bolted them on above the dish. Disconnected the feedline from the LNB and connected them to the antenna at each site. Had a couple ATSC tuners I picked up across the 49th ($10 for both) and replaced the Shaw boxes with these.
result:
Two very happy people with ALL the local channels plus a few more when conditions are good. Bonus: no one seems to notice the weird contraption on top of their satellite dish either.
I suspect someone at Shaw doesn't understand what I was talking about regarding this "free service". I am sure talking to the right person would have fixed this but I have no patience for sitting on the phone for hours talking to idiots.