Shaw Gateway: Adding External Drives - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Old 2011-09-10, 09:30 PM   #121
jorton

@ PittsyCalgary - Do you have the power sync option turned off?

Last edited by downbeat; 2011-09-13 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Competing forum link removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-09-13, 05:06 AM   #122
tornado6975
Rookie

Does anyone know if the expander can be an eSATA connected RAID box, or possibly even a Drobo S? From what I understand, the RAID controller in such a box should mask the RAID nature of the internal array, and present to the Gateway just a single large eSATA drive.

If this is the case, and the RAID box is configured for fault tolerance, such as RAID 1 or 5, could a failed drive be replaced and after the RAID controller rebuilds the array, no data would be lost? If so, long term storage of TV shows could survive a drive failure. But, I guess if the gateway failed and was replaced, all would be lost anyway. Hopefully gateway failures would be less frequent than drive failures.

Also, in the case of the Drobo S, one could start with just two drives and add capacity to the array as needed. The box will accept up to five drives in any mixture of sizes, speeds, or manufacturers.

Is all of this just wishful thinking? Is there something about the gateway that would prevent the use of such a configuration.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Old 2011-09-13, 09:16 AM   #123
jorton

There have been a couple raid 1 setups already working using a 2 bay Mediasonic enclosure. You can only use up to 6TB so a four drive raid 5 with 6TB usable (with 4x2TB) space may work. The Lacie 4Big 6TB also has raid 5 and is known to work with the Gateway, just not sure if anyone has actually used the raid 5 mode on a Gateway or Moxi and tested the raid 5 by pulling and replacing a drive etc...
Old 2011-09-13, 05:38 PM   #124
SnowGoose

Default One test I didn't do with the Mediasonic enclosure...

...I didn't test rebuilding the RAID 1 mirror set. Hope it works if either of my WD AV-GP drives fail...which reminds me - wonder if I should invest in a spare, or just let it roll if one of the drives fail further down the road...
Old 2011-09-16, 01:17 AM   #125
dpolites

For those of us that just want a Single Drive (non RAID) setup, is the largest drive that will work 2tb? Seems like from earlier posts, you need to do something to get 3tb drives to work. Is this still the case? The Shaw installer today said that you should just be able to plug a drive into the gateway, without needing codes added unless you are using the Shaw expander...

Just looking to get the largest single drive setup working. Any advice? Thx.
Old 2011-09-16, 10:54 AM   #126
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

mattryyc is using a Nexstar 3 (NST-360UFS-BK) with a Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB drive. If you are adding it to a PC running an operating system other than Win 7, you must format differently, not so if you plug it directly into the Gateway, it should be recognized and formatted for the Gateway.

See Shaw Gateway Enclosure Details
Old 2011-09-17, 03:13 PM   #127
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

Have a problem and need suggestions. Since my gateway outage I have had a new line pulled into the house to provide a clean signal to the Gateway. When we powered up the Gateway everything returned to normal, it recognized the Mediasonic enclosure as a new external hard drive and asked if I wanted to format is which I selected "format". It has now been 24 hours and when I look at the external hard drive settings is still telling me "An external hard drive is currently formatting etc. Do not disconnect drive unit until it finishes. What now?
Old 2011-09-17, 08:25 PM   #128
SnowGoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
Have a problem and need suggestions. Since my gateway outage I have had a new line pulled into the house to provide a clean signal to the Gateway. When we powered up the Gateway everything returned to normal, it recognized the Mediasonic enclosure as a new external hard drive and asked if I wanted to format is which I selected "format". It has now been 24 hours and when I look at the external hard drive settings is still telling me "An external hard drive is currently formatting etc. Do not disconnect drive unit until it finishes. What now?
Odd - if it were mine, and the Mediasonic isn't showing any activity - I'd shut it down, confirm the RAID set is still configured by connecting it to PC and recreate a new volume, then reconnect to the Gateway and try again...
Old 2011-09-17, 08:41 PM   #129
Reboot

Well SnowGoose I have bigger problems at the moment my Gateway system has failed once again (on hold for 5 hours, never did get through to Gateway Support).

As for your suggestion, this box was connected and formatted and working before my failure last Saturday, it was showing (doing the math) that I had 2.5 TB of recording space. I haven't done anything to the box, but after the Gateway was reset and updated, the Gateway saw my External Drive as a new device and I had to re-format it, which it hadn't done for 24 hours of connection.

Looks like I will be getting a new Gateway box if I ever get through to Tech. Support, that or I will toss the whole system to the curb.
Old 2011-09-17, 08:53 PM   #130
SnowGoose

Sorry to hear about your issues, Reboot - it was odd 'cause existing storage should not be recognized as new and need to be formatted - I'd be unhappy if that were the case! How do I know? My Mediasonic RAID box was "forgotten" by the Gateway this morning - my storage had suddenly shot up to 94% full! I shut down RAID box, shut down Gateway and recycled all - and storage (and what was on it) was once again recognized - no re-format required.

I would certainly tell Shaw that you lost programming if that occurred because it wanted you to re-format! Hopefully a new Gateway (which I suspect was at the core of so many of your issues) will get you up and stable!

Last edited by SnowGoose; 2011-09-17 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added comment about new Gateway
Old 2011-09-17, 11:44 PM   #131
amosnov

Hi Reboot, the format time as I posted for 6TB took 90mins. I'd shutdown after a couple hrs and look for other issues. Just FYI not gateway related, a few years back after loosing a large RAID5 setup and a motherboard and a couple cards (graphics, audio) in that PC, due to some major power surge. I purchased an APC Smart-UPS 1500. Zero RAID issues since.

Snowgoose, I have had my Mediasonic forgotten twice now in past couple weeks. Like you I only have to powercycle, no reformat and it was recognized again. I switched off the powerdown that did not help. Now I've switched off the smart-fan, so both switches are off now. It's been up 36hrs, I'll post if/when it gets forgotten again.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:04 AM   #132
jorton

Is there anyone "not having" an issue with the Mediasonic enclosure going offline and requiring a reset?
Old 2011-09-18, 12:42 AM   #133
amosnov

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolites View Post
For those of us that just want a Single Drive (non RAID) setup, is the largest drive that will work 2tb? Seems like from earlier posts, you need to do something to get 3tb drives to work. Is this still the case? The Shaw installer today said that you should just be able to plug a drive into the gateway, without needing codes added unless you are using the Shaw expander...

Just looking to get the largest single drive setup working. Any advice? Thx.
You just need to make sure your enclosure is configured correctly. For Mediasonic enclosure it has internal switches for <2TB and >2TB drives. You just need to make sure you configure the switches correctly. I have tested 3TB with the gateway.
Old 2011-09-18, 10:44 AM   #134
Reboot

@amosnov, I have both my Gateway and Mediasonic boxes plugged into a Belkin UPS for that reason.

@Jorton, Can't confirm if it is the fault of the Mediasonic enclosure or the failure of my Gateway box (cannot maintain a network connection). We'll see when I (hopefully) get a new box
Old 2011-09-18, 11:54 AM   #135
jorton

Just going to throw this out there, and I'm not trying to upset any Mediasonic owners so please don't take offense...

It seems that everyone posting in this thread about their Mediasonic enclosures are having the same experience with them going off line on a regular basis (also noted in the enclosure summary). At this point, until everyone can weigh in and report no issues for at least a couple weeks, I wouldn't recommend buying the Mediasonic until things are all worked out. I can't make you not do it if you really want to so give it a shot if you want

I haven't had a disappearing expander with my dual Raid 0 Nexstar MX eSata (2x 2TB WD AV-GP's) and the only time I had to cycle it was when I unplugged the Gateway by mistake last week... This should be a plug and forget experience for the most part. It could be that it's an issue of Shaw reseting the Gateway in certain areas and it's always going to be like this for some... I have had a very smooth experience with the Gateway and all three Vantec enclosures that I have tried with it so I wouldn't settle for having to reset everything a couple times a week, your wives won't