Shaw Gateway: Adding External Drives - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Old 2011-09-09, 10:20 AM   #106
jorton

I remember once when I tried to connect my Nexstar MX to the Gateway that the external drive had not finished creating the Raid (0 or 1) and if I just waited a little bit and then attached to the Gatway it would be fine. I had thought it was done building and it was not...

Anyways, just a thought, try turning on the Mediasonic and create the Raid and then make sure to wait long enough for it to finish before connecting.

I'm sure Snowgoose will have some other suggestions.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-09-09, 12:57 PM   #107
SpinalTap

Uggghhh...no luck. Reset the raid, let it sit for a bit, plugged it back in - and still nothing. To confirm all my switches on the back of the enclosure are off, and all the RAID switches are off (RAID 1, above 2 TB). I reset the raid to RAID 1, as indicated by the green light inside the enclosure.

I read somewhere that the SATA port may need to be activated. I am assuming mine is activated, but I guess I could be wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Old 2011-09-09, 01:13 PM   #108
SnowGoose

Default Mediasonic enclosure

Hey SpinalTap

You haven't really described your configuration - maybe by the time we're done we can enhance Jorton's list to include device-specific settings to ensure a trouble-free setup.

Do you mind outlining all of your switch settings, for both the internal and external swtiches? As I mentioned in an earlier post, there's a Mediasonic forum post from Mediasonic staff that describes how to set the switches relating to volumes either larger or smaller than 2TB. The Revision C of the User Instructions does not explain this at all.

The rule, according to the post, is to take into account the final, available space - which of course would differ depending on which RAID type you employ - for example - RAID 0 on 2 X 2TB drives would yield something just short of 4TB total space, so that would dictate you would set your DIP switches to be RAID 0, with more than 2 TB of total available space. On a RAID 1 array with 2 X 2TB drives, your yield would be a little less than 2 TB, which would dictate that you set your switches to RAID 1, with less than 2 TB of total available space. Worth double-checking.

I also agree with Reboot's recommendation to turn the Synchronization switch off.

As amosnov suggested, it is a useful activity to install the drives, create the RAID array and initialize it with MBR using a Windows computer. If it passes the muster, the result will show in the Disk Management utility as one contiguous unallocated space which should equal the expected size of your RAID volume (which, in the case of a RAID 1 configuration on 2 x 2TB drives is 1,8900-odd GB because of overhead).

After this prep is done, the introduction of the Mediasonic box on the Gateway should be straightforward - it does not have to create the array (that's already complete), it just has to format the unallocated space and mark it as an available, writable volume. In my case, it took barely 5 minutes to prepare once the Gateway recognized it.

I would not expect to have to reset the RAID array once you have confirmed it is a working RAID set through the Windows Disk Management activities already discussed. To me, this would only be necessary if the Gateway was actually introducing an undesirable effect on the RAID array - in which case, we should all be concerned.

Hope this helps - looking forward to hearing how you've set your switches.
Old 2011-09-09, 01:39 PM   #109
SpinalTap

Hi SnowGoose,

Thanks for your response and for your help.

Here is my configuration:
1 x Mediasonic HUR1-SU32 RAID enclosure
2 x Hitachi Deskstar 0S03208 3 TB SATA3 7200 RPM
2 Dip switches on back of enclosure - off
3 Dip switches inside enclosure - off (RAID 1, over 2 TB)

I have reset the RAID, plugged it into a Windows 7 64 bit machine and initialized the drive as MBR. When I do this I see two partitions, one just over 2 GB and 1 just under 1 TB. From what I can tell this is a limitation of MBR and is not an issue (i.e. it should be one partition of 3 TB).

I then plug the enclosure into the Gateway, and basically nothing happens. The top blue light stays lit, but no drive activity lights appear (which would hopefully indicate formatting). Also, no message comes up on the screen to indicate drive is formatting.

I have tried various combinations of power cycles with the Gateway - unplugging the gateway, plugging the drive in, plugging the Gateway back in, etc. I have also power cycled the enclosure while it is plugged into the Gateway.

Thanks.
Old 2011-09-09, 02:04 PM   #110
SpinalTap

Just as another test - I was able to initialize the drive as GPT in Windows and format the drive to end up with a total of 2.72 TB - so it looks to me like the enclosure is working.

There is nothing that Shaw needs to do to activate the eSate port - maybe it's not working.
Old 2011-09-09, 02:24 PM   #111
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

yup, it sounds like you've jumped through all the hoops , one last thing which is probably redundant, have you tried another esata cable, not likely but one last tick off on the list.

Do you have another esata enclosure you can try to confirm if it is the Gateway or the drive enclosure?
Old 2011-09-09, 02:58 PM   #112
SpinalTap

No other esata cable...but...I did try to plug it into my desktop computer via eSata and the computer did not pick it up either. Before I'm convinced, however, I need to double check the BIOS settings to make sure the eSata port is active. But at least another lead...

Thanks.
Old 2011-09-09, 03:10 PM   #113
SnowGoose

SpinalTap - looks like amosnov has the same hardware as you (Mediasonic with Hitachi 3TB drives) - I'm sure he'll chime in once he reads these posts...
Old 2011-09-09, 03:20 PM   #114
SpinalTap

Thanks SnowGoose.

Another rudimentary test - I could not get my windows machine to see the drive via eSata connection, but I can't play around with my BIOS as I have some RAID configurations that use the same controller. So my rudimentary test is this - when I plug/unplug the enclosure from the gateway, the drive activity lights briefly activate, so it's like a connection is being made somehow.
Old 2011-09-09, 03:24 PM   #115
Reboot

Location: Chilliwack Mountain, Shaw Gateway & 3 Portals, Samsung UN60D8000, BenQ HDDLP, Denon AVR-1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
No other esata cable...but...I did try to plug it into my desktop computer via eSata and the computer did not pick it up either. Before I'm convinced, however, I need to double check the BIOS settings to make sure the eSata port is active. But at least another lead...

Thanks.
If your computer wouldn't recognize the enclosure I would definitely try another esata cable, you can pick one up pretty cheap.
Old 2011-09-09, 03:58 PM   #116
SnowGoose

Yep - if you can see the drive from USB connection on PC but not via eSATA (and eSATA is definitely available), then bad cable or (worse) bad interface is likely culprit. I have a Thermaltake eSata dock (and cable) kicking around for just those testing purposes - to test eSata port and\or cable.
Old 2011-09-10, 07:12 PM   #117
jorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck7 View Post
Jorton I knew the WD20EURS was fine for 24/7 DVR use, it's just that with the reguler DCX3400 you might only have 2 streams (2 recordings, 1 playback) being accessed whereas with the Gateway you can have 9 streams! (6 recordings, 3 playback) being accessed at the same time and I was a bit surprised a "Green" 5900 RPM drive could keep pace -- particularly when the drive starts getting REALLY fragmented.

I’m curious to see how reliable the drives are with the 9 streams once the units have been doing a LOT of recording and become really fragmented…

Thanks again for all the info guys.
Just noticed in the installer menu that the internal drive is listed as a Seagate ST3500414CS which is also an HD/DVR specific 5900 RPM drive so the WD AV-GP at 5900 RPM with the same specs should be fine, although a lot larger

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...eqPage=Support
Old 2011-09-10, 07:22 PM   #118
jorton

Here is a 2TB Seagate version,

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...Specifications

Anyone feeling brave???

EDIT: They look to be out of stock at the normal places in Canada, like the WD AV-GP's.
Old 2011-09-10, 08:27 PM   #119
PittsyCalgary

Default Help Please - Disappearing Expander

I posted early in this thread about my expander Issues. I'll restate them here more succintly to see if anyone has thoughts or suggestions.

I have the 2-bay MediaSonic HUR1-SU32S with two Hitachi 7200 rpm 3 TB drives. I successfully configured the enclosure for RAID-0 using the online instructions and have all of the dip switches (inside and out) in the correct positions. The drive formatting and the additional space became available for recording. Everything looked great and I thought I was set for endless HD recording.

Since then the external drive "disappears" on weekly or sometimes more frequent basis. I've found no pattern to these incident. I only know something has happened when the wife or kids complain about a missing show, or I see my used space has jumped from 10% to over 90%. A reboot of the gateway without the expander allows me to plug the expander back in and see the space and recordings on it.

This has happened at least 10 times over the past 8 weeks. I can't carry on like this. I don't know if the culprit is one of the drives, the gateway, or the enclosure. Most troubleshooting I could do will wipe the recordings I have, cost more money, or spread my recordings across multiple expanders. If only the gateway had a second eSATA port!

Given that a number of posters here seem to have the same drives and /or enclosure, I'm hoping someone will confirm if they've had similar issues or have had successful prolonged use in their environment. That will help me to decide what to do next.

Thanks!
Old 2011-09-10, 08:56 PM   #120
jorton

Several users have posted the same issue with the Mediasonic enclosure and was noted in the summary speadsheet. I was waiting for those users to give a thumbs up that their "disappearing" expander issue was resolved but they have not posted ti update things are ok now.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...8&postcount=47

EDIT: Just noticed you were one of the ones with the problem . Have you asked for help in the mediasonic forums?