New Firmware - SA8300HD - SARA 1.92.16.101 - Please Read Post 1 - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-07, 01:07 AM   #106
rodenti

I am having issues with the new Search functionality... when I press the * key to get into search it works fine for the most part, but on occassion I get the message that the search encountered an error and when I exit out I get a black screen (still with sound) and a non-responsive remote or front buttons, then after a couple of minutes my PVR reboots automatically.

Is anyone else experiencing this? This has happened a few times since I found out about this feature a couple of days ago.

BTW I also lost all my recordings tonight from my external hard drive, so I am wondering if the PVR is on its way out... should I do a full reformat and reset of the PVR, or just swap it for another since it is a rental?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-08-07, 09:33 AM   #107
Bplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodenti View Post
I am having issues with the new Search functionality... when I press the * key to get into search it works fine for the most part, but on occassion I get the message that the search encountered an error and when I exit out I get a black screen (still with sound) and a non-responsive remote or front buttons, then after a couple of minutes my PVR reboots automatically.
It may seem unrelated but have you checked the signal strength? The procedure can be found here ->
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

If the signal strength is poor the box spends most of its processor cycles on handle and recover from errors. At some threshold it just gives up and reboots.
Old 2011-08-07, 10:29 AM   #108
rodenti

I tuned to an HD channel and checked my signal strength, on page 5 it shows a Level that switched between -1 and -2 dBmV, no errors, and a S/N of 31 dB.
Old 2011-08-07, 10:34 AM   #109

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

31 is quite low. You could temporarily remove some splitters as a test and/or have Rogers out to get the S/N up to where it should be - mid 30s.
Old 2011-08-08, 09:29 PM   #110
mackbig

So since losing all my programs twice, during this round of updates, I have had two successful reboots. That's the good news. The bad news is that I had to reboot twice for various issues (sound, hidden scheduled recordings). The last week there have been a few oddities. Radomly getting the playback screen when attempting to watch something, in many cases trying only a few hours after successfully watching a show. So I figured it was time for reboot 3. After it came back up I was showing 100% of recording space used, it was 35% before the book. Which is the opposite of what happened when I lost my recordings (it would drop to 5% or thereabouts). So I powered down again, and rebooted. 5% everything gone again. My third times a charm ended up being three strikes your out. I guess I will just disconnect the external till people stop posting here about losing their recordings.

Andrew
Old 2011-08-11, 01:16 AM   #111
CW

Talked to the Office of the President about lost recordings. Again no definite timeline but they're looking to release a fix before the end of this year and probably in the fall. They have been doing beta testing and want to make 100% sure that the problem is fixed correctly. Sounds like the tests have gone well but there are obviously issues with getting timely support from Scientific Atlanta (now Cisco).
Old 2011-08-11, 09:22 PM   #112
David Susilo
Veteran

that will make it an even 12 months since they first had this problem. IF it's fixed by end of September, that is.
Old 2011-08-12, 01:45 PM   #113
cybercat

Ive had the search problem (black screen, audio OK, box resets, etc.) as described the odd time since the new search was introduced (8300).

Inconvenient, but to me, not yet a big deal.

My signal level and S/N level were recently checked during a home visit by a Rogers tech guy. I wrote the numbers down and check for deviation when an oddity occurs. I don't think it's signal related based on this.
Old 2011-08-28, 11:55 PM   #114
rodenti

It looks like my Search problem was caused by a faulty 8300hd. Last week the set top display went dark and when I rebooted it went into an endless reboot cycle. It was a rental so I swapped the PVR and now everything is working again.
Old 2011-09-07, 03:18 PM   #115
bgclarke
Veteran

I looked in post 1 and didn't see it mentioned there (or in post 1 of the prior thread).

Not sure how long this has been around, but this past Sunday I discovered that you can schedule the recording of a show which also has a reminder set for it.

In the past I had to cancel the reminder in order to be able to record the show (unless I could find it on a timeshift channel).

Is this new?

EDIT: I tried it again tonight and think I have figured out what allows it "work".

FYI - channel numbers are for the Ottawa area.

I have a reminder set for Lost Girl at 9:00 PM on Showcase HD (560). The reminder colour shows on channels 560 and 39 (Channel 39 is the "auto HD" version of 560).

If I try to set up a recording at the same time as the reminder time on channel 560, it does not allow me - I get the edit/cancel reminder prompt I mentioned above.

If I try to set up a recording at the same time as the reminder time on channel 39, it allows me to do it.

Even though channel 39 is showing the reminder colour, it may not actually have the reminder set - looks like a "feature" of "auto HD" allows this to be done.

Good for channels where there is not an HD version on a west coast feed

Last edited by bgclarke; 2011-09-07 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added more details
Old 2011-09-19, 10:15 PM   #116
Gshaff
Rookie

Default SA8300HD frequently stops recording until rebooted

My PVR seems to lose it's ability to record, either scheduled recordings or manual recordings until rebooted. This happens fairly frequently. Is this a known problem?
Old 2011-09-20, 12:28 AM   #117

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

No, they should work fine when properly connected with a proper signal. An occasional reboot (once a month) is recommended. Check your signal strength and S/N ratio per the following FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Useful Post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2011-09-23, 09:21 PM   #118
lawgman

I started to have the same problem as Gshaff. Over the last three weeks or so, the PVR loses its ability to record (and also pause live TV). I have no problem playing, rewinding, forwarding or pausing any of my already recorded shows. Problem fixes itself once I reboot. It could then work for a few days or only a few hourse before it occurs again. I didn't care all that much until I started missing the new TV season. Signal strength and s/n ratio are fine. Given that I am not the only one, wonder how wide spread this is.
Old 2011-09-23, 09:52 PM   #119
David Susilo
Veteran

Still have these problems and also the disappearing programmed schedules and recording on eHDD can't be accessed after a reboot. But I hardly post here anyway since I don't think that anybody from Rogeers even care to look at these threads.
Old 2011-09-26, 08:57 PM   #120
Proteosome
Veteran

I too have started to encounter issues with aborted recordings and freezing during live watching. I can still play previously recorded programs from the internal and external hd. Recording issues are happening on both the internal and external drive. It seems a reboot is a temporary fix.

My wife called Rogers and they said they did a firmware upgrade recently and it is effecting a lot of people. Checking my box after I am still on 1.92.16.101.

Anybody else notice any odd behaviour on their 8300HD's recently?