Windows Explorer will only display icons, not thumbnails - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Windows Computing

Old 2011-04-02, 07:05 PM   #1
Wayne
Veteran

Default Windows Explorer will only display icons, not thumbnails

FYI - my OS in Win7 Home Premium. This problem pertains to folders that contian jpeg picture files.

For some reason a little while ago Windows Explorer stopped displaying thumbnails when using the display options of Extra Large Icons, Large Icons and Medium Icons - instead it just displays the Icons. What will happen is that the picture thumbnail will be visible for a brief instant before it is replaced with the thumbnail.

I have tried checking and unchecking the Always show icons, never thumbnails.
I have tried changing the default display program for jpegs. I have tried several options including Windows Photo Viewer, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Picasa Photo Viewer, Paint, etc.
All I get is a brief flash of the picture and then the icon takes over and the icon changes depending on which program is currently the default.

Note that I have no problem actually opening the picture in one of several programs, it is just that I cannot see thumbnails of photos in Windows Explorer - and this is a very good way to just browse your photo collection.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-04-02, 09:14 PM   #2
nospam

I have heard of this happening when your hard drive is getting close to full. Try cleaning up your drive and emptying the Recycle Bin to see if that has any effect.
Old 2011-04-03, 06:31 PM   #3
Wayne
Veteran

I did have a lot of stuff in the recycle bin, I emptied it but that didn't change anything. I also have tons of free space on the drive a few hundred gigs.
Old 2011-04-03, 07:16 PM   #4
BGY11
Veteran

Open Disk Cleanup, ensure "Thumbnails" is checked then run the cleanup. Sounds like the thumbnail cache is messed up.
Old 2011-04-03, 08:00 PM   #5
mateo_f4

Thumbs up

In Windows Explorer, go to the "Tools" menu, select "Folder Options". On the "View" tab, "Advanced Settings" ensure that the first option "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is NOT checked.
Old 2011-04-03, 09:06 PM   #6
BGY11
Veteran

^Good idea! I wasn't at a Windows 7 desktop when I posted my reply, but that should be the first thing to check.
Old 2011-04-03, 11:28 PM   #7
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Open Disk Cleanup, ensure "Thumbnails" is checked then run the cleanup. Sounds like the thumbnail cache is messed up.
You rule! That did the trick - I had unchecked the Always Show Icons option as I indicated in the original post.