Eastern Ohio: OTA DIY advice, critiques, suggestions? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > Antenna Research & Development

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-04-01, 09:02 PM   #16
ride the world
Rookie

Quote:
ota_canuck Usually, achieving the strongest possible signal strength, is best. More signal stength will help avoid drop-outs etc...

On the other hand, too much amplification could cause some tuner overload on those stronger signals that are only 10 miles away. It's all about determining that fine balance using moderate amplification to get both the distant and local stations
I do have at least 2 tv's to connect to, so I'll probably lose some in the cables and splitters. Hopefully I'll put together another antenna with an at least slightly stronger signal than the % I'm getting now. Then I can determine if I will need the pre amp and/or distribution amps when splitting the signal down room to room. I read all day, and I'm still considering what antenna to build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-04-01, 09:57 PM   #17
ota_canuck
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie

Multi-TV households:
One antenna using a rotor, and two TV's presents an obvious problem for what each individual viewer can watch. If one viewer wants a channel from the west and the other wants a channel from the east, then the fight is on

Keeping above the signal strength threshold:
You will likely need a preamp for those marginal 50mile stations.

Preamp,..how big?:
Preamp selection [17db or 29db] greatly depends on how long your downlead cabling will be from the antenna, to a splitter, and the cable lengths going to the two TV's. A very powerful preamp could be a problem because of those stations that are withing 10 miles.

Line loses?:
The more cable you have in the system, the more line loses you will have to overcome. Also, having two TV's means you'll have to use a splitter at the end of the downlead to join 2 lengths of cabling for the two TV's. A splitter can create significant line loss. So, depending on your cabling lengths, you may need some sort of a mast mount preamp / downlead cable / connected to a splitter / and then 2 cable runs to the two TV's. [if the signal is too weak after the splitter, then a dist amp may be needed between the downlead end and the spitter to compensate for the splitter loses]
Old 2011-04-01, 11:38 PM   #18
ride the world
Rookie

Quote:
One antenna using a rotor, and two TV's presents an obvious problem for what each individual viewer can watch. If one viewer wants a channel from the west and the other wants a channel from the east, then the fight is on
Look like you gave me a good reason to build a second antenna before I even managed to finish one! I'll tinker with a Stealth Hawk.

Quote:
You will likely need a preamp for those marginal 50mile stations.

Preamp,..how big?:
Preamp selection [17db or 29db] greatly depends on how long your downlead cabling will be from the antenna, to a splitter, and the cable lengths going to the two TV's. A very powerful preamp could be a problem because of those stations that are withing 10 miles.

Sounds like a catch 22...and looks like I'll have to compromise somewhere.

Thanks alot for taking the time to help and to explain. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 2011-04-02, 12:20 AM   #19
rabbit73
DHC Supporter

Sorry, I wasn't specific. The center two bays of your 8-bay stay the same as in your original photo; the balun (short for BALanced-to-UNbalanced) connects the same way. If you want to connect two 4-bays together, you first connect the two feedpoints together, and then attach your balun to the midpoint of that line. Not to be insulting, but I assume that you know that where the phasing lines cross, they must not touch each other.

I suggest that before you correct the phasing lines, you take some signal strength readings of selected channels. Then, after you correct the phasing lines you take another set of readings for comparison to see if you have made any improvement. Since you have already built this antenna you might just as well use it for tests before going on to the next antenna.

Keep in mind, however, that OTA signals are constantly changing in strength, and your second set of readings might be at a time when the signals have changed strength. The only way around that (as I did here) is to set up two antennas with an A/B switch to make an instant comparison between a reference antenna and the antenna under test. Even if the signals have changed strength, the difference between the two antennas will remain constant.

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-04-02 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2011-04-02, 07:23 PM   #20
ride the world
Rookie

Thanks for the correct phase line connections....and not insulting at all, in fact I appreciate it. I definitely will do as you suggested, and take some general readings with my converter box before I make changes and hope they can be compared.

Thanks again

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-04-03 at 12:18 PM. Reason: quote removed as per rules of the forum