FibreOP Mediaroom Features Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Old 2011-04-21, 03:31 PM   #46
merovn

Default Mediaroom Installation

When you pay to have Mediaroom installed early, what does the installation involve for the $150? Do they change the boxes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-04-24, 12:39 PM   #47
DieppeTv

Yes, I just had this done myself and they charged me 150$ and replaced all the boxes in the house. The 150$ is apparently for the tech's time ( 15mins in total ) . In any case it was well worth it for us since we couldn't stand the old system one more day and the new system is so much nicer!
Old 2011-04-28, 06:35 PM   #48
mikers99
Rookie

I just had the upgrade to 2.0 yesterday. It is a really nice system now. It is fast and effecient. They took out my PVR and my 2 boxes and replaced them with boxes that had the upgrade on it. They then registered all 3 boxes and that was it. I think for one tv they had to call it in (the pvr) as it was not setup right. Did not take more than 20-30 minutes. A+++ This is in Moncton BTW.
Old 2011-05-03, 05:40 PM   #49
philster

Quote from Page 1
""Unfortunately, neither Reminders nor Autotunes are available". (Personally, I set up everything as series recordings and watch the programs on my own schedule, while skipping commercials, etc.)
Does anyone know if this is a Media Room Drawback? or simply a Bell Aliant Media Room Draw back.

I was asking a co-worker today who just got Fiber-Op Tv 2.0 and asked how he liked it compared to Bell Satalite TV, and his response was "Horrible, I want to cancel it..."

He listed off a bunch of stuff, however, His main complaint was the lack of this function....and then went in to explain that he had equipment fail within 24 hours and found the installers very unprofessional, he is actually now dealing with customer retention.

Someone else then piped in and mentioned that they too are now hessitant to switch since this "autotune" feature was something they currently enjoy and are now hessitant to make the switch.
Old 2011-05-03, 06:13 PM   #50
Dr.Dave

I'm a Mediaroom user with MTS and can confirm that Mediaroom doesn't have Reminder and Auto-tune. These features are irrelevant if you have a PVR - you can start watching whenever you want. If you don't have a PVR then it can be a big deal, but the PVR is one of the best reasons to get Mediaroom.

The Motorola VIP1200 and VIP1216 hardware tends to be pretty reliable. It sounds like your coworker had a bad overall installation experience.
Old 2011-05-03, 07:37 PM   #51
philster

Thank you Dr. Dave, I'll mention this to him. He's the first person I personally know who's gotten the Mediaroom install. I'll be getting it in two weeks time (Upgrading from DSL Aliant TV to Fiber Op TV).
Old 2011-05-03, 08:04 PM   #52
NO-CRTC

That's too bad, auto tune is one of my favourite features, I use it all the time. I'm going to miss that one!
Old 2011-05-03, 08:25 PM   #53
redskull

Who needs auto-tune when you can record 4 things at once. Just record it and watch it whenever.
Old 2011-05-03, 08:33 PM   #54
JimmyFace

Agreed, I had auto tune before this but don't see what the issue is, if it's being recorded anyway.
Old 2011-05-04, 12:29 PM   #55
NO-CRTC

Well, if you don't have a PVR it is an issue. Even if you do have a PVR, what if you don't want to record it? Just want it to change channels when the show comes on in case you forget about it. If you don't want to record it, but use that function so it will change channels, you are just going to end up with a cluttered mess of shows on your list that you are going to have to clean out.
I just don't know why they couldn't have left this feature in, it was/is very handy.
Old 2011-05-04, 08:27 PM   #56
Meanie

One feature I am surprised isn't available on the Mediaroom PVR (or maybe I'm missing something) is the prompt saying "You can't record this channel because you don't subscribe to it." Or something along those lines.

I attempted to record a show quickly last night and had nothing in the morning since the channel I chose to record wasn't unlocked for me. Coming in from the Roger's PVR it wouldn't allow recordings on channels you don't have and provided a prompt saying you couldn't create a recording. Is this something a later version of Mediaroom can do or is it something that has to be enabled on the STB by Bell Aliant or something?
Old 2011-05-04, 10:35 PM   #57
Dr.Dave

@Meanie, Mediaroom doesn't allow recording of channels that you don't subscribe to. I've had the same version of Mediaroom as you, as well as older and newer versions and they're all the same in this regard. It's possible Aliant has something mis-configured with their channel selection.

If you try to record from the guide you will get the message "This program cannot be recorded".
Old 2011-05-05, 08:28 AM   #58
Meanie

Thanks for the confirmation DrDave. I'll double check that I didn't miss something simple (didn't hit record or something dumb) and if this is in fact happening I'll put a call into Tech Support to get this fixed up.
Old 2011-05-05, 04:35 PM   #59
Dr.Dave

If it doesn't work please post the method you are using to record - direct from guide, from INFO screen, etc.
Old 2011-05-05, 06:08 PM   #60
Meanie

It certainly appears to be busted. I went to a West Coast channel that gives a screen saying "Call us to Subscribe to this Channel." I opened the Guide and recorded a show 30 minutes ahead of now. The "Recording Scheduled" banner appeared and the big Red Circle was listed on the show.

Same thing happens when you search for a program and chose to record on a channel you do not subscribe to. There is no warning saying "This program cannot be recorded." Looks like I'll be calling Aliant. Thanks for the assist Dave.