Telus 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-12, 10:01 PM   #46
WarrenC12

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on Telus Optik, but unfortunately the 15/15/15 deal is gone. The current deals are less than awesome. I think maybe I'll keep waiting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-13, 12:39 AM   #47
BillA
Rookie

I think we are the victims of Optik TV's popularity where Telus is getting a lot of flak for delays from the overload. I know I had problems and gave lots of that flak. I am hoping that people that are on a three year contract are "grandfathered" as in the past. I read in the paper that Telus spent $27 million installing Optik in Prince George here and we only have 80,000 residents, so if we assume 35,000 houses and Shaw gets 50% eventually it takes some years to pay back. At least I am no longer paying $80/mo for 50 channels of reality TV with a channel guide that is 66% ads and 33% guide. I see the PVR is now $199 now at FS so we are coming down on hardware. FS had a promotion of $100 in December but I was too late.
I can not see "fiber to house" ever being affordable even though Alberta is a test area for Telus on this. 100 mbps sounds great but cost has to be considered.
Old 2011-02-17, 11:53 AM   #48
WarrenC12

Question Large Combo vs. Your Pick HD

Can somebody help explain the differences between these two packages? Unless I'm misinterpreting things, Telus' package structure seems rather cumbersome, and unfortunately expensive. More like the old tier system of Shaw (must have tiers 1 and 2 to buy tier 3) than any modern TV provider.

The Large pack seems to have essentials plus 10 packs (locked down or customer choice?) for $68/month, and you can get the HD versions for an additional $15.

Your Pick HD seems to have the same packs and the HD versions for $78/month (save $5 over Large Pack), but it says you can change your 9(?) theme packs at any time.

So, why would somebody buy the large pack? Only if you do not have HDTV?

Now, the Medium pack is more in my price range, lists 7 packs, but can you pick which 7 you want or are you limited to what is listed?

I think what I would do in an ideal world is pay the medium price for 7 packs of my choosing, and then pay $15 for the HD versions. Is this possible?
Old 2011-02-21, 07:05 PM   #49
aeroplane

Just received a mail out for Shaw 15/15/15 with my Telus promo expiring. I guess I will call into Telus this week and see. I really enjoy Telus so far BUT reg price Telus versus 15/15/15 price is a no brainer to me. I hope telus will match it.
Old 2011-02-23, 06:23 PM   #50
aeroplane

Yay! Another reason I love Telus. Called to see if they would match Shaw offer and they said no problem on the pricing. She is making the changes now. My current Telus offer expires March 20. Glad I didn't have to move back to the ancient Shaw guide lol.
Old 2011-02-23, 07:10 PM   #51
PrimeBane
Veteran

Perhaps a foolish question (or not):

After my 1 month free is up, does Telus automatically revert me to the plan I signed up (your pick HD for 6 months) for or do I need to call them and get my programming changed so I don't get dinged for all the movie channels?
Old 2011-02-24, 03:53 AM   #52
HeavyFlea
Rookie

Received the Shaw 15/15/15 w/ free pvr in the mail. (no contract) I've had Telus internet and phone for the last year and a half and been looking into adding tv.

I called Telus today to see what they could do.. after being put through to retentions I was offered 15/15/15 and free pvr on a 3 year contract (or $10 rental on 1 year)

Currently trying to compare the two services and would like to see as many Bluejays games as possible in HD. So want to add HD sports. $10 on shaw and $12 on telus.

I don't like the contract idea but the lady I spoke with said after the first year if anyone else offers a better deal than Telus they will match it even under contract.. I asked even if Shaw came out with another deal like this and she said yes. So seems good, but weird.. why the contract then?

So basically looking at $55 with shaw.. leave anytime no penalty.

$57 with Telus and contract for 3 years with $10 penalty per month cancelled.. but i wouldn't cancel if they truly would match any other offer during that time. How can that be verified?
Old 2011-02-25, 04:58 PM   #53
neven
Rookie

Default What channels do i actually get?

I've looked at the telus site to see what im supposed to get, but theres a bit of confusion on my end. The numbers dont seem to add up comparing my package vs the standard tv packages.

I signed up to the 15-15-15 deal with 95 channels (forget how many HD on top of that) for a year, but no where does it state what i'll be getting. I asked the rep if it included sports channels and they said no, so i added the package but am wondering if i did in fact get it with the deal since essentials doesn't list 95 channels.

Im in the vancouver Region so if someone else around here is on the same plan, i'd appreciate a little help finding the answer, im worried the rep may have made a mistake since they never even asked for the offer code, just what the package pricing was
Old 2011-02-25, 06:11 PM   #54
Dr.Dave

@neven, if you add up the the channels in the Essentials for Vancouver, including 13 HD and 45 Galaxie Music channels, you get about 95.
Old 2011-02-25, 06:29 PM   #55
neven
Rookie

i thought that could be it, but the advert states you also get the music channels, not that they are included in the count. Same with the HD channels.

95 channels and XX HD and XX music channels
Old 2011-02-26, 03:36 PM   #56
sweetmikem
Rookie

Default Lowered My Telus Bill Significantly - Shaw Is Offering Win Back Deals

Mods - if this is the wrong place for this, please move...

Hi All,

If you weren't aware, Shaw has a street team out right now trying to win back Telus TV customers. They have some really good deals that many people might be interested in switching for.

I wasn't interested in switching when I compared my contract breakage fees and the functionality of the Telus Optik system.

However, I quickly parlayed this into some significant savings with Telus. Dropped my bill by $50/mth for the first 6 months, then $20/mth for the next 6, then back to my normal amount after that.

Hope that helps someone,

Mike
Old 2011-02-28, 09:28 PM   #57
x katt x

Hey, warren.

How the packs work is medium has 6 themes and they are all preselected, so no swaping. Adding HD onto the medium combo is the same price as the large combo.

medium 53
hd 15
------------

You can go ahead and select 6 themes of your choice and add in HD, but it's going to be more expensive to do it that way than the your pick HD.
Essentials 26
6 themes x7 42
HD (3 or more) 15
-------------------

Large has 9 themes. Although on the website they list all 9 themes, in actuality they are the same preset themes as the 6 medium ( adventure, entertainment extra, news, lifestyle and family ) and the remaining 3 (entertainment, sports and timechoices ) are interchangeable with any of the other themes. It makes no sense to add on HD to this pack. You're better off in your pick HD

large 68
HD 15
---------

The your pick gives 9 themes as well as the HD version of the themes you choose.
yphd 78

People go with the large if they want no HD but 1 or 2 more themes than the medium because it's a better value than just having an extra couple themes al a carte.
Old 2011-02-28, 09:59 PM   #58
x katt x

Hey, Primebane

The intro offer is made to come off automatically. It includes the 15 standard definition theme packs, super channel and movie central.

Your first bill where the tv actually charges may look a little inflated because they are going to bill you from the day your 1 month promo ended to the bill cycle date, then the full month of charges thereafter.

If they offered you something like Superchannel free for 3 months, thats something you would have to call in to remove or they'd assume you want to keep it.
Old 2011-02-28, 11:20 PM   #59
PrimeBane
Veteran

Thanks katt
Old 2011-03-01, 12:26 AM   #60
WarrenC12

Thanks for the info katt, that helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
channel, optik, telus