Telus 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-29, 07:36 PM   #31
Wiremonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****_Donny View Post
If you don't want to sign a Telus contract (and why would you) you have to buy the hardware Box. Straight cash, homey.
Service agreement or none, it makes no difference. You DON'T have to buy the box. If you don't sign a service agreement you will be charged rent for the STBs. $10/month for a 330 and $15/month for a 430 (PVR). With a service agreement you get either $5, $10, or $15/month credit toward STB rental. That is how it works.

As I've pointed out previously on the forum a contract or "service agreement" only gets you a credit for STB rentals, nothing more.

You get free installation with or with out a contract or "service agreement", you also are not required to buy the STBs with or without a contract or "service agreement" (with all STBs beyond the second one charged $50 each to install).

You can opt to purchase or rent your STBs. If you rent you can have some of the rental waived if you choose a service agreement.

Make it simple. Don't want a contract? Fine, order your Optik, get it installed. Make sure its what you want. After a couple months go to a retailer and buy your STBs if you want to save rent, OR go with a service agreement of 3 years, get the rent waived on the PVR and buy the other STBs thereby saving the rental cost. Then if the PVR craps out TELUS will replace it and you will have the other STBs pay themselves back in rental savings after 12 months or so. Thats how I did it.

TELUS will send somone out to get the rental STBs and you will be given the reg codes over the phone to register your new retail STBs after the rental ones are remotely `deactivated`. All you have to do is plug the new ones into the same connections as the installer setup for the rentals and register them, reboot and your all set. You don`t need a visit, so there is no charge to convert from rental to purchased, unless you`re adding an STB to a location not previously installed, if you need a new STB added there is a $100 charge to send the tech for one additional STB installation and $50 more for each additional STB after that. Several people on this forum have done this and posted their experience.

- another TELUS tech
Wiremonkey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-01, 05:46 PM   #32
matt7x
Rookie

So my 1 year Telus Optik contract [free PVR rental, $10/month internet, $55/month for TV] is coming to an end in the next month. Am I going to be stuck paying the $75/month for Your Pick HD + $37/month for internet + PVR rental cost? Or is there a deal to be had?
matt7x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-01, 09:42 PM   #33
aeroplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7x View Post
So my 1 year Telus Optik contract [free PVR rental, $10/month internet, $55/month for TV] is coming to an end in the next month. Am I going to be stuck paying the $75/month for Your Pick HD + $37/month for internet + PVR rental cost? Or is there a deal to be had?
Or you could switch to Shaw and probably get a reduced rate. Or see what Telus will offer.
I will be in the same boat in a few months. I have really enjoyed Telus, never ONE issue.
aeroplane is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-02, 12:34 AM   #34
Wiremonkey

@ aeroplane

You could just call in and sign another service agreement. You seem to enjoy the product, why not go for 3 years and get the PVR rent waived?

The service agreement is renewable, and there is no reason you couldn't get any length SA you wanted if yours has ended.
1 yr SA is = to a $5/mth STB rental credit
2 yr SA is = to a $10/mth STB rental credit
3 yr SA is = to a $15/mth STB rental credit

Any SA is cheaper than paying month to month, you could also opt to purchase your STBs and save the rental on all purchased STBs entirely, but if you read some of my past posts you'll see I lean more to purchasing the 330s and renting the 430 as the 430s really work hard and have the most that could go wrong. The 330s are tuff little spuds. Please don't misunderstand me, the 430s aren't bad, they just have a somewhat higher fail rate than the 330s, both are quite reliable but a 430 has a hard drive and hard drives fail all the time, in PCs anyway.

- another TELUS tech
Old 2011-02-02, 11:26 AM   #35
matt7x
Rookie

Yeah I haven't had a single issue with Optik either. I'm just wondering if anybody has renewed their service agreement and got a deal out of it. I plan on calling soon, but would like to hear from anybody else's experience with renewing.
matt7x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-02, 06:15 PM   #36
aeroplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiremonkey View Post
@ aeroplane

You could just call in and sign another service agreement. You seem to enjoy the product, why not go for 3 years and get the PVR rent waived?

The service agreement is renewable, and there is no reason you couldn't get any length SA you wanted if yours has ended.
1 yr SA is = to a $5/mth STB rental credit
2 yr SA is = to a $10/mth STB rental credit
3 yr SA is = to a $15/mth STB rental credit

Any SA is cheaper than paying month to month, you could also opt to purchase your STBs and save the rental on all purchased STBs entirely, but if you read some of my past posts you'll see I lean more to purchasing the 330s and renting the 430 as the 430s really work hard and have the most that could go wrong. The 330s are tuff little spuds. Please don't misunderstand me, the 430s aren't bad, they just have a somewhat higher fail rate than the 330s, both are quite reliable but a 430 has a hard drive and hard drives fail all the time, in PCs anyway.

- another TELUS tech
I am not on any agreement other than I am paying internet/tv cheap for one year. I think I got it when it first became available in my area.

thus getting a new agreement is going to cost me way more, more like regular prices for the programming.

If i switch back to shaw I am sure there will be a much cheaper promotion that regular price.
Old 2011-02-03, 01:05 AM   #37
Wiremonkey

You have to be gone three months to rejoin and qualify as a new customer.

Shaw generally charges a reconnection fee.

If the coax was used for your Optik installation, Shaw will have to send a tech to physically reconnect you to their network.

Those prices, like you got last year were loss leaders to attract new customers. Now with people lining up for Optik, its over a month to get an installation in some areas. As a result those deals are HISTORY, TELUS doesn't have to attract customers any more for Optik, their practically beating down the doors to get it.

If you cancel now and try in 3 months, you may be out of luck. If the area you're in has high demand for Optik there could be port shortages in the near future, some areas are already having to deny service to new customers because they are at capacity for port availablity.

It your choice though, ain't choice wonderfull?

- another TELUS tech
Old 2011-02-03, 04:38 AM   #38
_____Donny
Rookie

Default Could you Transfer a Service Contract

Matt is looking for a deal on renewal. There's someone on Craigslist moving to Toronto and offering to sell the remainder of a Telus service contract (18 mos).

With high termination fees should we expect to see a market form for these contracts subject to Telus approval.
_____Donny is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-03, 07:21 PM   #39
aeroplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiremonkey View Post
You have to be gone three months to rejoin and qualify as a new customer.

Shaw generally charges a reconnection fee.

If the coax was used for your Optik installation, Shaw will have to send a tech to physically reconnect you to their network.

Those prices, like you got last year were loss leaders to attract new customers. Now with people lining up for Optik, its over a month to get an installation in some areas. As a result those deals are HISTORY, TELUS doesn't have to attract customers any more for Optik, their practically beating down the doors to get it.

If you cancel now and try in 3 months, you may be out of luck. If the area you're in has high demand for Optik there could be port shortages in the near future, some areas are already having to deny service to new customers because they are at capacity for port availablity.

It your choice though, ain't choice wonderfull?

- another TELUS tech
Yep I don't mind switching back and forth. I think the regular prices for programming is way to high to begin with. What's the saying..hundreds of channels with nothing on them lol and we pay for that.
So choice is good.
Old 2011-02-06, 04:05 PM   #40
BillA
Rookie

If you want proof that there is promotional pricing wars between Shaw and Telus read this:
http://www.shaw.ca/NR/rdonlyres/852B...ep23_Telus.pdf
This is 2003 information on Shaw's own site, but now we have Optik TV which I think is great.
I just wish Telus would confirm the final agreements (price , configuration and install date) made by phone were confirmed via Email and/or online account as there are so many exceptions to a standard contract. Face it, Telus makes the biggest money in mobility phone contracts and not internet or TV. Just read the Telus quarterly reorts on there own site.
Telus is really just trying to break into the market that Shaw thought they had a "monopoly" on because of the higher bandwidth of coax cable. Optik, with fiber from main switch to neighborhood multiplexors serving your existing copper POT lines (max 2km), breaks all previous bandwidth barriers. Like mobility products that made little at the beginning, Telus is planning upon future profits down the road. Hopefully telus does not raise the price at five times the rate of inflation like I found with Shaw.
BillA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-09, 02:43 AM   #41
_____Donny
Rookie

Default Telus Contractual Agreements Not in Writing

Bill observes that there is no Telus written contract stipulating the terms of the deal. He's right.

I REFUSE to sign any agreement with Telus. Assumed others were receiving a written arrangement of some kind. Was puzzled Telus didn't provide me with the plan although I'm only on a six month promo.

I took the initiative to write Telus twice to discuss the offers. Telus agent advised they would be sending me a precise of the over-the-phone discussion. Never received a thing.

What type of business model is Telus using? With Shaw there are no contracts. Does anyone have an inkling of why Telus uses this verbal dealmaking or do you have a firm contract?

And where is the CRTC in all this crazy de-regulated mess?
_____Donny is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-09, 04:50 AM   #42
sheldon23
Rookie

Just went to optik tv site and noticed there is a $3 price increase in the tv packages.
sheldon23 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-09, 05:18 AM   #43
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

Your right Sheldon:

$3.00 Price increase on every level of Optik TV package (all 4 Optik Packages offered)
$2.00 Price increase on every level of Internet Service
$1.00 Price increase on Encore Avenue (now $9/month SD only)
$1.00 Price increase on Movie Central (now $19/month)
$1.00 Price increase on Super Channels (now $16/month)
$1.00 Price increase on all Pick and Pay Individual Channels (now $3/month each)

Seems like it is effective from today and all offers for new customers only are limited to 3 month offers. You can also sign up on a 2 year term for a free smart phone too. There doesnt seem to be any offers for home phone.

Looks like this offers run through to May 3rd 2011.

In June last year when Telus TV was branded into Optik TV there was an increase then too http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...88#post1110288
So a popular package like the Large Combo has had a $14 increase in less than a year and Optik Internet plans have gone up $7 a month in less than a year.

On the face of it that is a pretty step increase in a short period of time in my opinion, however, there have been some significant neat freebies that customers can get such as Xbox and Laptops and now Cell Phones during this time signing up on a service agreement.

Please correct if wrong.

Last edited by Shaw Champ; 2011-02-09 at 06:26 AM. Reason: typo
Shaw Champ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-09, 03:07 PM   #44
aznives3
Rookie

ok i just signed up for full telus packages 2 days ago, on the 7th, before the prices went up and they still had the old promos (6mo. tv, 3 mo. internet)

I signed up my parents who will be switching from shaw, and experiencing HD and PVR for the first time. I got them to do the agreements (mom doesn't mind) for both TV and internet. They'll be getting the free PVR rental & Xbox. The CSR was also very kind enough to throw in an additional free 2nd STB rental for the 3-year term.

I will be moving out in about a month into a new built home, so they were also able to let me start an account with them early so that i could take advantage of the promos before they changed. I did the same package, but opted for the turbo speed (not available yet at my parents place). Very happy with my experiences so far with the CSR's etc.

Now some of my questions were:
1) futureshop right now has the PVR + additional HD box package on sale for $250, the price of the PVR. If we decide to buy this and not go on a SA with telus, they noted that we would still get the promo for 6 months, but im wondering since i will be on a month-2-month basis, will i have to pay whatever the current monthly rate for service is?

Along with that question, if we stay on the 3-year plan and take the free rentals, are those monthly prices ($75 tv, $37 internet), locked in for our 3-years, or are we going to have to pay the same as to whatever the current price is, (as of now, $78/$39).

If thats the case, i think i wouldn't mind being on a contract, just thought it might be safer to stay off of one in case shaw decides to start updating their tv stuff!

Also, since my parents are only going to be on high speed 15mbps, they have 3 tv's in the household, probably 2 running usually at a time. is it possible to get 2HD feeds on this speed? i've read elsewhere that it might only be 1HD+2SD?
aznives3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-09, 08:38 PM   #45
Dr.Dave

@aznives3, I think Telus would be the best place to get an answer on your pricing questions.

Since you can get the Turbo internet package, you will have the 3HD/1SD profile. Your parents will get either 2HD/1SD or 1HD/2SD. The CSR can tell you which profile they're eligible for. You can discuss this subject further in the Telus TV Stream Questions and Discussion
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Tags
channel, optik, telus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.