Telus 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-31, 03:01 PM   #1

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Default Telus 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss packages and pricing for Telus TV for 2011.

Replaces 2010: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=118341
Advertisement

Old 2010-12-31, 05:41 PM   #2
Meestor_X

Default Clearer list

That webpage where you pick your package could really be a lot more helpful.

I'd like to see a list of channels with the ability to sort by channel number or name, and the ability to select each and it would apply the correct package(s) to include those channels. If the channel is available individually as well, offer a choice if you select it.

I'd like to see channel numbers for each station. It would help a lot when customizing the guide or favourites for just the channels you can receive.

EVERY channel should be available individually. Packages are fine for discounts, but there are many channels I want singly or in HD only and it would be REALLY nice to be able to choose each one for $2 (or something higher for the HD version).

-Andy.
Old 2010-12-31, 08:01 PM   #3
ae_collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestor_X View Post
EVERY channel should be available individually. Packages are fine for discounts, but there are many channels I want singly or in HD only and it would be REALLY nice to be able to choose each one for $2 (or something higher for the HD version).

-Andy.
I don't think the CRTC allows that which is why only certain channels are available individually.
Old 2011-01-01, 04:04 AM   #4
Meestor_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_collector View Post
I don't think the CRTC allows that which is why only certain channels are available individually.
What makes you say that?
I know nothing of CRTC rules, but all I've ever heard is that there has to be a basic block (the "Essentials") that must be included in all packages. Why would the CRTC care what channels are grouped with other channels?
Do you have some information regarding what you suggest?
Old 2011-01-01, 12:04 PM   #5
pain

Default bold HD channel 655

Have been receiving this channel for the last month, now black screen saying I have to phone them to get it turned on. The SD channel 178 is part of my package. I had thought that if you subscribed to the SD channel then you would get the HD channel as well. Gave up after waiting 45 minutes twice on the phone. Did anybody else experience this?

Happy New Year to all
Old 2011-01-01, 01:00 PM   #6
Dr.Dave

@pain, it looks like Telus has created a new theme "Lifestyle Extra HD" which only has "bold HD" in it. I think you have to subscribe to it to get it. It shouldn't cost you anything extra if you are already paying the max $15 for HD themes.
Old 2011-01-01, 03:40 PM   #7
pain

Smile bold HD update

Dr Dave, Did manage to get through on the phone and was some technical glitch. Gave me a 5.00 credit, which was kind of them. Now included in my package.

Cheers
Old 2011-01-01, 07:40 PM   #8
Wiremonkey

@ Meestor X,

Channels are grouped together in packages in many cases because that is what the content providers require. TELUS offers a la carte channels when they are available. No provider that I know of makes individual channel selection something the customer has control of. Additionally I believe the CRTC does mandate the channels that you are 'required' to get, these are the Essentials, or what Shaw calls Basic Cable.

I agree, it would be much preferable to be able to pay only for what you want. I don't want or need all the francophone programming I get with the Essentials, but I get it because Conrad Finkenstein and his minions will it (Conrad's the CRTC chairman, and yes that's his real name). I don't watch it because it may as well be in Klingon, but never the less I pay for it.

I think TELUS still gives more a la carte choices than Shaw does though, so at least it’s a start.

- another TELUS tech
Old 2011-01-05, 03:17 AM   #9
Kimera
Rookie

I love the idea of being able to order individual channels... unfortunately the only one offered that I'd be interested in is probably the one that I could do without: Mystery channel, which plays a lot of shows that I already own on DVD or through slightly less legal means.

I'm currently just signed up for the Essentials package, but man, getting the first month with *everything* for free is tempting me a lot... which I suppose is the idea. But really, of all the premium channels only offered in bundles, there are only three I watch regularly:

Showcase (I love me some Cancon)
Sportsnet Vancouver (for Canucks games- ideally I'd like to get Flames and Habs games too but eh, I can live with just watching them when they show up on HNiC)
Space (I'm a giant scifi nerd)

So that'd be a grand total of $21 ($23 if we include the a la carte Mystery Channel) for, basically, three/four channels. "Popular Choices" *might* be worth it as A&E/TLC are my go-to channels when I'm watching TV out of boredom and there's nothing interesting on my "usual" channels, but other than that... eh. Will wait and hope that somewhere along the line more individual channels are offered.

Edit: Of course, on the other hand... due to the comedy of errors that was getting my TV service installed in the first place + that CRTC rebate, I have a total of $131.25 that can go towards my bill... which is $30 for the first six months, $40 for the next six. So that's four months paid for right there. Or... I could give in and put that towards ordering those premium channels for at least a few months, since I did budget for $30/month after all.

So, what would you do? Pocket the savings and put them towards something else? (like a new TV. oh god, it's just *sad* that I have a potentially sweet media setup with my XBox 360 + Desktop + Plentiful External HDs + Digital TV... and a sad little 24" CRT television to use it all with). Or turn around and put it back into the cable subscription?

Last edited by Kimera; 2011-01-05 at 04:11 AM.
Old 2011-01-05, 01:45 PM   #10
Wiremonkey

Sounds like someone should get a new TV. Still some good sales on too.

Remember the rule of thumb when buying a big screen TV. You should always be able to sit 3 times the distance back from the screen as the screen's width. For example, if you buy a 40" display you should have a room where you can sit 3x40" or 120" or 10 feet back from the screen. This gives you optimal picture quality. Keep this in mind in the store when viewing. Try a 40" display from 6 feet, 8 feet and 10 feet. I think you'll see what I'm referring to.

- another TELUS tech
Old 2011-01-06, 01:23 PM   #11
ShawViewer

Just a question. New to Optik. Wondering why Much More Retro is listed in "Entertainment Theme Pack". Shouldn't it be part of the "Music Theme Pack"?
Also MTV2 is listed in the "Music Theme Pack", but to my knowledge it doesn't play music videos.
Old 2011-01-10, 04:04 PM   #12
aj55

Default Finished Free Preview Want to add 648

I just completed my free preview and am now receiving the Your Pick HDTV package. I really only need to add channel 648 to my current selections and was wondering if this was possible. I don't want to add any sort of additional package, just want to receive ch 648. I couldn't find the info on the website as it is listed part of the movie packages and and having trouble getting through to CS as there is always a wait of atleast 30 minutes.
Old 2011-01-11, 12:24 AM   #13
Qavro
Rookie

aj55 - did you phone 310-6988 in the morning? Not much wait then.
Old 2011-01-11, 07:09 AM   #14
nsharon2
Rookie

Unhappy A problem with Telus TV

I love the PQ of Telus Optik TV - esp. HD and channel choices.Free pvr is good too. and BTW, there are 2 tuners now in my area. I can watch/tape 2 HD programs at once. enough of the good stuff. I have the full HD package with 9 theme packs and, when I wanted to change my News themepack to Lifestyle and also add the Oasis HD 5$/month package, they told me that I had to wait for the next upgrade in Calgary because the system kept blocking their efforts to change/add to my programming. I have a friend who lives not far from me and is a new customer. Gues what? HE was able to change programmind AND add Oasis HD. Methinks they are catering to their newer customers and leaving me behind. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 2011-01-11, 12:09 PM   #15
Wiremonkey

There should be no reason you can't get those channels. Try calling in again.

I can get the HiFi HD package for you. The one with Oasis, Treasure, RADX and EQHD. I can add things to any customers package, but as a tech I can't make changes. Only the agents in Sales can make changes ATM. You have to phone in to have the change made, so I can't help with the News theme pack to Lifestyle swap.

FYI changes can take up to 24 hours to be processed through the system. So when the agent says it may take 24 hours before you get the new requested programming they're giving you the honest goods. New channels can pop in right away, but they can also take up to 24 hours. Its an automated process that agents have no control over.

PM me if you have any more issues, or if you need help.

- another TELUS tech
Closed Thread

Tags
channel, optik, telus