Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 21 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-10-01, 06:56 PM   #301
rickh1954

I've had channels disappear on me twice now. My clue that it had happened the 2nd time was that a recorded program showed 0 as the channel #. A front panel reboot fixes the problem, but I hope this is addressed with a firmware update soon.

Aside from this I'm happy so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-10-01, 08:59 PM   #302
mimizy
Rookie

Hi,

after 3 calls to shaw tech support and no answer ( i don't think anyone understood what I meant there... ) I went to bed dreaming about that,,,,

this morning when I woke up I wasn't really tinking i opened the tv and the receiver and went to the bathroom ....oooop! it works !!!!

it only need to do the updates ...

3 tech support and noone ever told me that !!!! I even asked for it "do you think it s possible that my machine is not up to date" and they all answered me no ....

arggghhhh
Old 2010-10-01, 09:03 PM   #303
paris_paris
Rookie

I had 2 630's installed today (about 4 hours ago). #1 rebooted about 20 minutes after the installer left. #1 and #2 both rebooted at the same time 3 times after that. The only thing I changed was to only show the channels I get in the guide, and I changed the remote frequency on my Toshiba.

Everything on my Panasonic (#1) is working, but on my Toshiba (#2), the HDMI would not change the aspect (I had a reduced image on screen). I hooked up component cables, and that worked, but the picture was crappy (red). My son played with some settings and got the HDMI to work, but now my volume button isn't working.

Audio settings are Audio Connections - TV, Analog Audio - Surround, HDMI Audio - Auto, Digital - Dolby

Video settings are Output Format - HDMI, 4x3 Override - 580i, TV Type - 16x9

Firmware version is 00.10 on both.

blah, while I was typing this, #1 rebooted again.
Old 2010-10-01, 09:30 PM   #304
BCScott

It will update to firmware 0.13 tonight, then will be much more stable. Have you not read any of these threads?
Old 2010-10-01, 09:47 PM   #305
paris_paris
Rookie

Yes, I've read the threads, and I knew the firmware update would run tonight. Although I thought the tech would run it when I saw him check the version number before he left, especially if you think it's going to fix everything.

I'm optimistic. I'm the one who pushed for these new units.

I did solve my volume problem by reading further. Seems the instructions in the book are wrong.
Old 2010-10-02, 07:58 AM   #306
zbroke

SD_630_SUPPORT denied the rumor of an upcoming firmware update in the non-owner's thread (I think).
Old 2010-10-02, 09:50 AM   #307
Seven-out
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
Hi Everyone,

For anyone experiencing issues with digitizing or pixelation , we're interested in finding out the following:

A) What channel were you watching?
B) What date/time did the issue occur? Did it occur live, or on a recorded program?
C) Go back to the channel and access OPTIONS 4-7. Either T1 or T2 will be tuned to the station. What is the signal and ebno reading for this tuner?
D) Were there any background recordings occurring at the same time?
E) What was done to resolve the issue? (E.g. did changing channels and changing back fix it? Was a Front Panel Reset required? Etc.)

We'll keep you updated on anything we find out! Thanks!
A) What channel were you watching? 561 (Food Network)
B) What date/time did the issue occur? Did it occur live, or on a recorded program? October 2, 2010 from 09:40-09:50. Live
C) Go back to the channel and access OPTIONS 4-7. Either T1 or T2 will be tuned to the station. What is the signal and ebno reading for this tuner? T1: 65 9.3dB
D) Were there any background recordings occurring at the same time? No
E) What was done to resolve the issue? (E.g. did changing channels and changing back fix it? Was a Front Panel Reset required? Etc.) Happened intermittently. Didn't seem to happen after I changed channel to 560.
Old 2010-10-02, 11:19 AM   #308
GilandSully

I have the same problem on Food network.....bad pixellation on all live shows....nothing else recording
Old 2010-10-02, 11:43 AM   #309
okanagan1
Rookie

Have had 630 for 3 plus weeks now - no problems till last nite watching a recorded program when 630 did reset in middle of show - imagine the words I used when I clicked on pvr - "recording list empty" uHHHHHHHHHHHH! However did another soft reset and the list showed up - would have lost a week of recordings. I was thinking of all the posters here who were experiencing problems while I was having none. Now I can empathize.
Old 2010-10-02, 05:59 PM   #310
TheHans

Quote:
Originally Posted by okanagan1 View Post
Have had 630 for 3 plus weeks now - no problems till last nite watching a recorded program when 630 did reset in middle of show - imagine the words I used when I clicked on pvr - "recording list empty" uHHHHHHHHHHHH! However did another soft reset and the list showed up - would have lost a week of recordings. I was thinking of all the posters here who were experiencing problems while I was having none. Now I can empathize.
I'm feeling your pain. I called tech support today as our 630 has done three resets in the last week. She was quite new, I could tell, because she had to put me on hold quite a bit. But I liked the fact that she asked questions rather than presumed things. Anyway, apparently the response she got from tech escalation was that these resets were normal and is the 630's way of dealing with things like a "virus" and things like that. I said that surely it can't be that three resets in a week is normal. She went back to tech escalation and they're sending someone to come look at our lines, etc. When we had tons of trouble with our 530s last year, one of the problems was the poor installation of the lines. So I'm not opposed to this idea as we had a multiswitch and fourth line installed for the 630. I guess someone will be coming from Penticton as a matter of fact okanagan1. :-)

As an aside, one can apparently see how many soft resets have been done by the unit by going to the Diagnostic D screen via the hidden menus.
Old 2010-10-03, 03:38 PM   #311
smp01

I was having fairly major pixelation issues - just with the 630, no problems on other receivers and my previous 530 was fine in that regard. SD decided to send out a tech to check things out.

Of course when he got here the unit was acting just fine. The signal levels were very high, in the 90s, on just about every channel. So he couldn't determine anything. They were in the 90s when the unit would pixelate so I knew signal strength was not the issue. Nevertheless, he thought that he may as well change the LNB. When he took the old one off, it was full of water and wondered how I was getting a signal at. In the process he did something to the arm, so he decided to swap out the entire dish.

The signal levels dropped to the mid 70s up to about 83 at best. The Ecb No also dropped a bit. That did not give me the best feeling knowing what I had, but I do realize I still have a strong signal.

But since he left (last Wed) I have not noticed any pixelation at all. Here's hoping.
Old 2010-10-03, 06:46 PM   #312
fatkev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
Hi Everyone,

For anyone experiencing issues with digitizing or pixelation , we're interested in finding out the following:

B) What date/time did the issue occur? Did it occur live, or on a recorded program?
C) Go back to the channel and access OPTIONS 4-7. Either T1 or T2 will be tuned to the station. What is the signal and ebno reading for this tuner?
E) What was done to resolve the issue? (E.g. did changing channels and changing back fix it? Was a Front Panel Reset required? Etc.)

We'll keep you updated on anything we find out! Thanks!
A) 437 (HD Classic - Sunday Ticket)
B) Oct 3rd 4pm-7pm (the end of the game). Live.
C) Signal: 93 Ecb/No: 7.3
D) No
E) Changing channels didn't fix it. I didn't want to do a reset as it takes too long for the guide to load (watching multiple football games).
Old 2010-10-03, 06:49 PM   #313
methil
Rookie

Default to SD 630 Suppport - Pixelation + audio drop

Quote:

First occurrence with receiver closed all night. Heavy pixelation with partial sound drop in the first minute and reoccurring every 30 to 45 sec.

A) 291 FOXWHD
B) Live Sunday October 03 at 14:00.
C) Tuner1: 92 ecb/no : 7.1dB
D) No
E) changing channels and changing back didn't fix, Front Panel Reset fix it.

Second occurrence with receiver reseted 4hrs ago. slight pixelation with partial sound drop reoccurring every 60 to 90 sec.

A) 261 Roger SNO HD
B) Live sunday october 03 at 18:04.
C) Tuner2: 96 ecb/no : 8.4dB
D) No, but 30 mins before was fast forwarding the last 45 mins in the buffer (ads skipping)
E) changing channels and changing back fix it.

Running firmware 00.13
Old 2010-10-04, 09:09 PM   #314
boyharris
Rookie

Default guide

what is up with the guide feed for MCHD1 and MCHD2??? they seem to be mixed up??? anyone else notice that? maybe shaw can swop them so i do not miss dexter next week.

thanks

kevin
Old 2010-10-04, 09:22 PM   #315
Seven-out
Rookie

My 630 reset itself while I was fast forwarding through a recorded program. During the FF, it seemed to hang for a few seconds and then completely crashed. After a minute of the front panel blinking etc;, it finally came back up.

When we went to resume playback, our recordings were all gone. I performed a soft reset and, when it came back, everything was back.

I've had this receiver for 2 days now and so far:

- Receiver crashed and reset, requiring a soft reset.
- Pixelated picture at random intervals until I changed the channel up and back down.
- Video/Audio was out of sync after being left on a channel overnight. Went back to normal when changed the channel up and back down.

It's problematic because my wife *LOVED* her tivo and I convinced her to switch over to the 630. Now, I'm catching shit because the receiver seems flaky and bug-ridden. I had to put up with a "see, THIS is why I want to stay with tivo" rant. Please, for the love of God, just reassure me that these issues are being looked at.

Last edited by Seven-out; 2010-10-04 at 09:40 PM.