Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-08-29, 10:30 AM   #46
canron

Default Ordered a 2nd one

I am impressed enough after having my 630 for a few days that I ordered another one to replace my other 530. It certainly meets my expectations and I have not been able to cause it to have problems no matter what I do with it since 0.13
Advertisement

Old 2010-08-29, 10:38 AM   #47
rja

Received 630 thurs pm, connected it then called for acactivation worked ok.
Only problem i have is search to day for movies came up with none existing
tittles.
Upgraded from a 505.
rja is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-29, 12:00 PM   #48
zebb2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
Hi Zebb2000,

Disk Space usage can be found in the PVR Options menu...
Thanks SD 630 Support!! Works as explained.

Last edited by 57; 2010-08-29 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Quote shortened.
zebb2000 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-29, 03:13 PM   #49
QualityIsJobOne

Question

I can't seem to get the 630 audio working with a Rocketfish Optical audio wire connected to our Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver. For now I'm using the RCA jacks audio connection.

I've never used Optical audio before. Any tips about using this? One thing I notice is that the wire doesn't seem to make a secure connection on both the 630 & Pioneer...it can easily fall out. I see a little dust cover on the Pioneer that pushes in when you insert the Optical connecter. Does this dust cover have to be forcibly removed to get a secure connection?
Old 2010-08-29, 03:18 PM   #50
kevsim

What's the best video setting to use? I have it on 1080i and it seems to zoomed in a bit cause some of the screen is cut off at the bottom (golf scores only half there)
What is everyone else using?

Update: I found my problem. These new 630s come with a zoom button(b button) I had pressed it and zoomed the picture. I hit it again and were back to normal.
kevsim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-29, 03:54 PM   #51
Lester

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityIsJobOne View Post
I can't seem to get the 630 audio working with a Rocketfish Optical audio wire connected to our Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver...
Make sure the little clear plastic clips are removed from the new optical wire ends. You have to turn the optical ends to the correct position before you insert them into the hole. Sometimes takes a bit of fiddling before it goes in properly. Also make sure you press the correct audio button on the remote control of your Pioneer. Try all the different buttons until you hit the right one
Lester

Last edited by 57; 2010-08-29 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Shortened
Lester is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-29, 04:00 PM   #52
QualityIsJobOne

Thanks so much Lester...that was exactly the problem...My wife told me to go on the forum to get the answer....
Old 2010-08-29, 11:10 PM   #53
satdude

I noticed a skip forward difference compared to the 530. If you have skip forward set to a minute for example and you have less than a minute until you caught up to live, pressing skip forward won't do anything, you have to press FF. The 530 would just go into live, for me I prefer the 530 method but it just might take getting use to. Maybe an setting I overlooked?
Since the firmware upgrade not a glitch, kinda nice to have HDMI since my receiver converts to 1080P better than my TV.
satdude is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-30, 12:52 AM   #54
Millstone

There's something off about the picture on the 630. It seems to be using the YCbcr colour space instead of RGB. Wasn't 530 using RGB?

Also, SD channels are really fuzzy.
Millstone is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-30, 01:17 AM   #55
canron

Default My SD and HD channels are much better than my 530's

One of the things I really like is the picture quality improvement over my 530's especially on the SD channels. I have not changed any of the settings on my TV
Old 2010-08-30, 01:25 AM   #56
TheSphinx

The old machine was dvi. Dvi would have outputted rgb, specifically rgb pc levels which change brightness and contrast. Overwashed out bright scenes, crushed blacks. The new one is hdmi. It can output ycbcr or rgb, i generally prefer ycbcr since its the format of blue ray. Ycbcr outputs a more limited range so unless your tv is adjusted for the new white and black levels, blacks can be crushed, whites can be blown out.

Colorspace should not be a huge difference, but it can make the colors look off depending on how your set is calibrated or what your used to.
TheSphinx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-30, 12:08 PM   #57
rdgt2
Rookie

Default 630 pvr

Just got my 630 last Fridayand got it hooked up and activated, a very painless procedure I might add. A couple of things, first, i have the output set to hdmi and the screen to 16 x 9 then when I tried to enable the overide to 480i it sort of shuts the box down, because I have composite cables going to a dvd recorder i was able to go back and turn the overide off. Now i am always having to adjust the screen between normal for HD and stretch for SD.
Has anyone else noticed this problem?
I scanned the codes with the new 630 remote for my older Techniques receiver and it only allows me to turn the receiver on and off, can not adjust volume or anything else.
Lastly I have noticed that the new pvr wants to reboot itself now and again, 2 or 3 times since Friday.
Other than these minor issues i am very pleased with the box so far.
If anyone would like to comment please feel free.

Last edited by 57; 2010-08-30 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Merged into existing thread.
rdgt2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-30, 02:06 PM   #58
Lester

Have had my 630 activated about a week now. Generally pleased with it but it did auto reboot one time. The only problem I have to date is that channel 505 (Discovery) does not have sound. Did a reset and also tried every combination of sound settings but to no avail. Have not tried every channel of course so there may be others. Anyone else having similar problems? Have not reported this yet as the techs don't seem to have a handle on the 630 yet.
Lester
Lester is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-08-30, 02:09 PM   #59
GaryE
Veteran

Lester... Options 4-1- Descriptive Video should be turned "Off", SAVE and probably turn off the box and turn on just incase it doesn't kick in.
Old 2010-08-30, 03:00 PM   #60
SD 630 Support

Post Video Settings Summary

Hi rdgt2,

The "HDMI" Output Format actually has the receiver query the TV as to its preferred resolution and adjust accordingly. As such, a 480i override isn't necessary.

For most people, we don't recommend using the "HDMI" output format - set the Output Format to 1080i (or 720p if you prefer) and then turn the Override on or off depending on your needs. Not all TVs report a correct "preferred" value, and on some TVs using the "HDMI" setting causes longer channel changes.

Here's a quick summary of the Video Settings found in OPTIONS 4-5:

Output Format
1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i are the resolutions you can force all content to. This only applies to the HDMI and Component video output.

Native will output at the same resolution as the channel comes in at with no conversion. On some TVs, this causes longer channel changes as the TV adjusts to the new resolution with each change. See 57's post here.

HDMI will query the TV as to its preferred resolution and adjust accordingly. This is not recommended as some TVs seem to request 480p or 480i, and suddenly you're not getting HD resolution anymore.

4x3 Override
The 4x3 Override setting will "override" the specified Output Format when tuned to SD channels.

TV Type
Leave this on 16x9 unless you have a 4x3 square HDTV.

Summary Version:
For most people, we recommend an Output Format of 1080i.
1) If you want SD stations stretched by your TV, set the 4x3 Override to 480i.
2) If you don't want the SD stations stretched, leave the 4x3 Override Off.

Regardless of your settings, you can always use the ASPECT button on the remote to Stretch or Zoom the picture if desired.
SD 630 Support is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
failure, favourites, hard drive, hdpvr630, reboot, shaw direct
Gear in this thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.