Shaw Direct HDPVR 630 Owners Discussion thread for owners ONLY! - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-08-26, 08:01 PM   #16
jcups

Got one of my 2 receivers activated tonight.
Current version is 0.10 and target is 0.13.

So far:
- Guide and menus are very snappy
- Skip back actually works now (instead of going back 45 seconds the first time you use it, it skips back 15)
- Made it crash once by deleting the only recording on the box. Hopefully the software upgrade fixes this
- Remote feels nice, but new layout will take some getting used to
- Guide takes forever to download (20 minutes and still only partial data for this evening - nevermind the extended guide data)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-08-26, 11:38 PM   #17
kevsim

I too have my 630 up and running. Yes it is much faster using the guide functions. Still haunt played with it much but I do like the new guide and all the new information it has. Ie. Showing when programs aired originally etc.
I love the small footprint and the new UHF remote does have better range!
Old 2010-08-27, 02:14 AM   #18
GaryE
Veteran

Talking

The new firmware download has just begun. Here's hoping it's successful.
Old 2010-08-27, 02:51 AM   #19
GaryE
Veteran

35 minutes later it's complete!
Old 2010-08-27, 07:27 AM   #20
smp01

I got the new firmware last night 00.13.

A quick run through of the various menus and I don't see any changes.

I did record 2 things at the same time last night. OK - it was by mistake - my wife and I each recorded the same show on 2 different stations.

Music stations do not appear in guide anymore. You need to access via a special music icon on the new browser bar. Music is now arranged by genre. Not bad - 3 clicks and you are there. You can still simply type in the station # if you know what it is.

In addition to the $99 upgrade deal, they still gave me $50 in PPV credits when I called to activate. Must be standard fare for new HD activations.

I need to do a few tweaks on my Harmony now. The new remote has 4 new coloured buttons.
Old 2010-08-27, 09:02 AM   #21
LambeauLeap85
Rookie

Well, I went and bought RG6 and installed the second line myself. I called and the CSR set it up perfectly and it works great.

Only problem is that I was recording and watching my Packers game when the firware update came through lol. It didn't record part of the game which sucks.

The recording schedule is a bit broken, for example:

I wanted to record Dexter, and I only wanted NEW episodes, only problem is that the episodes aren't dated for recording. It has the recording listed, but there is no date or time (it just says N/A).

I had to set it to Record ALL then the dates showed up for recording, I then had to delete the recordings manually that were duplicate.

Same exact thing happened for Trailer Park Boys, but those shows are named which is weird. It also happened to Rob & Big and Fantasy Factory.

The "New Recording" feature worked for NFL network and Entourage. I am also able to record 2 shows at the same time (as long as I'm watching one of them) or just both while the receivers turned off.
Old 2010-08-27, 12:52 PM   #22
GilandSully

Just got my 630 activated. Now to explore the different features.

One thing I miss is the three outputs the 530 had....one component and two composite or is it the other way around. So now I have to reconfigure my set-up instead of just pulling out cords from the 530 and plugging in to the 630. I hate re-doing set-ups as I am not good at it. Oh well. I guess they had to give up something for the reduced size.

I did find it a bit cramped installing all the cords and I have small fingers.

Had my first soft reset during activation as the receiver was not picking up the channels.

Looking forward to learning all the new functions and now I have to memorize the new remote as I often wake up at night and can work the 530 remote by touch, but this is all new.
Old 2010-08-27, 03:04 PM   #23
GilandSully

First problem, cannot get 630 to control volume on TV (Hitachi). On of works fine and using same TV code as 530 which worked fine. Tried all the other Hitachi codes and none will control volume on the 630.
Old 2010-08-27, 06:33 PM   #24
SatTv1994

Default Noisy fan

fixed the problem
Old 2010-08-27, 06:47 PM   #25
canron

Default Just got my 630

Got my 630 and first impressions are favorable. Activation was quick. One concern which I hope is fixed with the download tonight is that it reboots itself every once in a while and then the guide has to start to reload. Picture seems crisper on the SD and HD channels and is great through HDMI
Old 2010-08-27, 08:27 PM   #26
Gogie

I'm in the same boat as canron. Had my 630 installed today and have a pretty favourable impression. Only concern is with the frequent loss of guide data. Being able to run HDMI from the box to the TV seems to have improved the PQ. I was able to use the "install" to actually move my 530 to my downstairs family room and have a second line run there (I didn't really need an install for the 630 since I was just swapping it out for the 530 but SD gave it to me for free as part of my deal so I figured I should get some use out of it). Did have to have the LNBF replaced to allow 4 lines to be run from the sat (something that probably should have been done by the installer who set up my 530).

I discovered something I didn't realize when I hooked up my old 530 to my "old" Sony RPTV (50" XBR that is not HD - best video input it has is s-video). I can watch HD channels on a non-HDTV. The picture is obviously not HD, but the quality is still pretty good.
Old 2010-08-27, 09:00 PM   #27
ElenaH

Default Beware "Native" Video Setting

Received my 630 tonight (missed Purolator yesterday and had to swing by the depot today to get it - drat!)

And I too got the $50 PPV credits. Unexpected, a nice little addition.

Got it activated no problem -- well, after assuring the rep that I did indeed have the 630.

I was going through the menus setting up settings and when I got to video settings I thought I'd switch it to "Native" as the 0000 mode on the 530 worked really well.

My TV did not like that at all. I got blue screen and "mode not supported" then I could no longer see the 630 menus to switch the setting back. And there is no little red button on the receiver to manually switch it either.

I reset it, didn't help. Couldn't think what else to do so I called technical support. They were flabbergasted that I had the 630 but darn excited to have a go at fixing it -- I guess I was the first call that rep had received.

We tried another reset, still not fixed. Lots of "on hold" before he came up with a great idea (wish I'd thought to do it before calling). He had me hook the 630 up through component, which worked just dandy. Switched the settings back to 720p (which he said was best for my TV, which considering it is a 720p tv I guess that makes sense). Then hooked back up to HDMI and everything was fine.

So watch those video settings! It's not a simple little red button to press if your TV doesn't like it. I'm thinking the mode button probably should have been kept.
Old 2010-08-27, 09:09 PM   #28
ElenaH

Okay.

Second issue.

Just switched the channel and the receiver reset itself.

But on a good note, the reset was much faster.
On a bad note, I had a show recording…

I wonder if that's what did it? Changing the channel right at 9pm when I had a recording set to start at 9pm? Hmm.

Also I miss the circulating blue bars for recording, I found those more comforting than a teeny, tiny red word.
Old 2010-08-27, 09:32 PM   #29
GaryE
Veteran

Canron... the rebooting should stop with the new update. Mine rebooted a couple times on the first night but its been steady since the update I got earlier this morning.

Other than dual recording I find the 530 worked better for setting up timers.

Last edited by GaryE; 2010-08-27 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Thought I had an issue with recording... but figured it out.
Old 2010-08-27, 09:41 PM   #30
drdave

Default Just joined the club.

So I'm up and running, I'm waiting for tonight's update before I really start hammering the system.

Only trouble so far was that my audio wasn't coming through over HDMI. Not sure if it is my TV or the 630 but I'm doing ok with component audio.

I'll try tomorrow to get the audio over HDMI since I'd rather ditch the extra cable.

Dave

Tags
failure, favourites, hard drive, hdpvr630, reboot, shaw direct
Gear in this thread