630 HD PVR - Non Owners and Potential Owners discussion - Page 39 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2010-09-05, 12:34 PM   #571
TJ77
Veteran

You'd be crazy to buy the 530 when the far superior 630 is only $100 more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-09-05, 12:46 PM   #572
peano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcewena View Post
The box store guy says don't worry about the lack of HDMI since shaw only broadcasts HD in 720 anyway. I know some of the signal is lowered to that because of bandwidth but they never broadcast in 1080?
And what he told you is BS. It is Bell that only broadcasts in 720p. Shaw Direct sends the broadcast they way they receive it - the majority being 1080i.
Old 2010-09-05, 12:50 PM   #573
BCScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcewena View Post
BEV customer here and my current SD package is being deleted so I'm thinking it's time to shop around, Shaw's monthly package is $1 more then my old BEV package (so about $10 less then new one will be) but I'm confused about which PVR to buy.

The box stores have the older silver/gray model (530?) with no HDMI out for $300 and Shaw's website has a new one for $400.

The box store guy says don't worry about the lack of HDMI since shaw only broadcasts HD in 720 anyway. I know some of the signal is lowered to that because of bandwidth but they never broadcast in 1080?

Any idea if the new one is compatible with the Harmony 720 remote? It's not listed on the harmony site.

Thoughts?
Shaw direct broadcasts ALL HD programming in 1080i. The advantage of HDMI has not been the picture quality being better than HD over component, but the ease of setup. The 530 has either component or DVI outputs, but not HDMI. The 630 has HDMI and from reports in the owner's thread, HDMI seems to actually work with most equipment this time, unlike DVI in the 530. I would stay away from the 530 (I'm on my 5th one after the failure of my first 4)
Old 2010-09-05, 01:29 PM   #574
Pooch15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharper101 View Post
Keep us posted Pooch15. I'm curious if remains stable.
Reboots are being caused by one bad cable randomly dropping the signal. As a result the guide's initial update doesn't work for half the channels and the 630 reboots to try again. I will try and fix it tomorrow but if I can't a technician will pass by on Wednesday.

BTW I was already aware of the faulty cable when using the 530 and had kept it on tuner two. Other than an occasional recording that didn't start because the signal dropped, it was livable. The 630 apparently cannot work without two fully functioning cables.
Old 2010-09-05, 02:00 PM   #575
zbroke

mcewena - DON'T BUY THE 530!

Another thing you don't get is true dual recording. Forget what's written on the box - you CANNOT record 2 things at the same time with the 530.

Read this thread and the 630 owner's thread. You will see plenty of folks that have been wanting to get rid of their 530 for years.
Old 2010-09-05, 04:34 PM   #576
Tup

Well, my 630 still didn't arrive...holiday on Monday so it looks like Tuesday is the next target.

Hopefully it arrives before we have to send back the 530.

I'm not sure if I read anywhere what the official amount of HD hours the 630 can record. The 530 was 25 but it got very cranky if you got close to that number.
Old 2010-09-05, 04:46 PM   #577
TheHans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup View Post
Well, my 630 still didn't arrive...holiday on Monday so it looks like Tuesday is the next target.

Hopefully it arrives before we have to send back the 530.

I'm not sure if I read anywhere what the official amount of HD hours the 630 can record. The 530 was 25 but it got very cranky if you got close to that number.
https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english...30/default.asp
Old 2010-09-05, 06:52 PM   #578
NWT Guy
Rookie

Unhappy I'm so confused!

Long time reader, first time poster. So I called SD last night and asked for a deal on the 630. Long story short, a CSR, a CR, and a team leader said these deals everyone is talking about do not exist (which I know is not true, why would anyone is this forum lie!). The best deal I could get was $299 and I got to keep my 530, $99 if I wanted to trade it in. The team leader wanted account numbers to prove these deals were happening which I thought was totally inappropriate. I did the Ask Jim email and they responded today saying you can't believe everything you read and that there may have been special circumstances. They want me to reconsider the $299 deal as they deem it to be fair. I have been with them since 2000, top-tier packaging and run 5 receivers (530, 505, and three 401's). What do I need to do to get the $199 deal....they will not budge? If I threaten to leave I'm scared they'll call my bluff! Too much invested to leave.
Old 2010-09-05, 07:09 PM   #579
Millstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTBugtraq View Post
Was wondering if the re-authorization of a blank drive works with the 630 as it does with the 530? Also, anyone know what type of connector is in the 630 (SATA, IDE, that wierd USB->IDE connector that's in the 530?)
SATA, it's a Seagate Pipeline HD Model ST3160316CS

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...nics/pipeline/
Old 2010-09-05, 07:35 PM   #580
Tup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Guy View Post
Long time reader, first time poster. So I called SD last night and asked for a deal on the 630. Long story short, a CSR, a CR, and a team leader said these deals everyone is talking about do not exist (which I know is not true, why would anyone is this forum lie!). The best deal I could get was $299 and I got to keep my 530, $99 if I wanted to trade it in. The team leader wanted account numbers to prove these deals were happening which I thought was totally inappropriate. I did the Ask Jim email and they responded today saying you can't believe everything you read and that there may have been special circumstances. They want me to reconsider the $299 deal as they deem it to be fair. I have been with them since 2000, top-tier packaging and run 5 receivers (530, 505, and three 401's). What do I need to do to get the $199 deal....they will not budge? If I threaten to leave I'm scared they'll call my bluff! Too much invested to leave.
I was told the same thing. You need to talk to customer relations! Just ask to be transferred. If they ask why, just say you want to talk about your account and trading a receiver. If they refuse...just call back and get a different CSR.

Customer Relations knows all about the deal!
Old 2010-09-05, 08:02 PM   #581
Smurfy71

Default Getting mine!

Just found out about this PVR today! Read all the posts here and made my call. First CSR could not offer a deal, he put me through to CR and she gave me the 1 yr free rent and purchase of $199 at the end of the year! Very Happy.
Old 2010-09-05, 08:29 PM   #582
rrcole

Just FYI for people waiting for deliveries. I phoned and finally got a tracking number today. I ordered mine 7 days ago and it was just shipped on Friday according to the tracking information. Something else interesting is it appears to be shipped from Calgary. Other posts I have read said theirs was shipped from southern ONT, so their must be more than one distribution center.
Old 2010-09-05, 09:12 PM   #583
NWT Guy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup View Post
I was told the same thing. You need to talk to customer relations! Just ask to be transferred. If they ask why, just say you want to talk about your account and trading a receiver. If they refuse...just call back and get a different CSR.

Customer Relations knows all about the deal!
Thanks Tup. I did talk to customer relations (CR), right after I talked to the CSR, and when I told them that their deal was unacceptable that is when they put me through to the team leader and he offered me the $299 deal which was also unacceptable. I still want to keep my 530. Funny thing is, he told me he was doing me a favour by offering me this deal since it wasn't being "officially" offered. I guess I will try again tomorrow. I can't believe they are being this stubborn over $100!
Old 2010-09-05, 09:20 PM   #584
NWT Guy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfy71 View Post
Just found out about this PVR today! Read all the posts here and made my call. First CSR could not offer a deal, he put me through to CR and she gave me the 1 yr free rent and purchase of $199 at the end of the year! Very Happy.
Did you previously own a 530 and if you did, are you keeping it?
Old 2010-09-06, 08:53 AM   #585
mcewena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
mcewena - DON'T BUY THE 530!

Another thing you don't get is true dual recording. Forget what's written on the box - you CANNOT record 2 things at the same time with the 530.

Read this thread and the 630 owner's thread. You will see plenty of folks that have been wanting to get rid of their 530 for years.
Thanks, I'd more or less assumed the store guy was either lying or didn't know what he was talking about and there was a good reason for the low price.

Any idea if the 630 is compatible with the Harmony 720 remote? I couldn't find it on the Harmony site.

Tags
630, pre-order