6100 Troubleshooting - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2010-03-31, 04:52 PM   #31
pookguy88
Rookie

Thanks I'll try some of your guys' advice tonight.

Quote:
You can also try powering down the 6100 overnight, which, IIRC, results in the guide download occurring overnight.
doesn't it have to be powered 'on' to get the guide downloaded?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-03-31, 07:17 PM   #32
Pinza
Veteran

Quote:
The problem is the guide now contains hundreds of more channels than Bell was offering when the 6100s came out and the puny little memory in the 6100 used to store the guide is at capacity.
If you were to hide all the channels you do not want to see in the Guide, would that reduce the amount of Data it downloads.?

Quote:
doesn't it have to be powered 'on' to get the guide downloaded?
No, the receiver will get the Guide Data while off.

You can also force a download of the Guide by removing the Smart Card, wait for the System Info Screen to show, then re-insert the Card.
Old 2010-03-31, 08:03 PM   #33
Stan Dev

Just to be clear: in this case, "powering down" does not mean removing AC power. It just means using the remote to turn the receiver "off".
Old 2010-04-01, 11:34 AM   #34
taxtwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza View Post
If you were to hide all the channels you do not want to see in the Guide, would that reduce the amount of Data it downloads.?
Interesting thought - might try that tonight. To be clear, this is a different procedure from creating a "favourites" list of only those channels you watch on a regular basis - the "favourites" list is just an overlay on the full guide, so you are still updating the full guide with every download.
Old 2010-04-01, 12:50 PM   #35
VuMax

Actually, hiding channels is very similar to creating favorite lists as far as the receiver is concerned. The receiver accepts the guide update package, processes it and then decides what to display(or not) in various categories based on your lock, hide, favourite, etc. selections.

Because communication is one-way, you can not tell the satellite not to send data for specific channels. Nor will the receiver reject or delete data based on locked out or hidden channels. If you lock out or hide a channel and then restore it, you will see that the data is still there.
Old 2010-06-01, 10:53 AM   #36
bigmac10ca

Default 6100 Analog Audio Issue

Hi All,

I just installed a 6100 in my home using the Component and RCA Audio outputs from the receiver to my Samsung LCD.

The issue I am having is there is a low buzzing/humming/interference type sound when watching any channels (SD or non SD). The sound is not loud and it is not a huge issue as you can still easily watch tv. I was just wondering if this is a known issue with these receivers and is there an easy fix?

I've tried using both sets of audio outputs on the receiver and tv and even switched the cables around (by putting the red in the white and white in the red in receiver and tv.) And unfortunately using the Digital out will not work for my setup.

Thanks.
Old 2010-06-01, 11:15 AM   #37
Blackloz

The only time Ive ever come across that is when I had the audio mixed up and not in the proper slots.
Old 2010-06-01, 06:32 PM   #38
Pinza
Veteran

That would sound like a bad ground, somewhere.
Old 2010-06-02, 10:51 AM   #39
bigmac10ca

Thanks Pinza.

Any tips on how I could troubleshoot that? I'm not too great with electrical, but am willing to give it a shot.

Thanks.
Old 2010-06-02, 11:12 AM   #40

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I'm not totally up to speed on these satellite STBs, but if they allow you to control the volume in the STB, then it may be worthwhile setting that volume to "max" and then controlling the volume with the TV. Most remotes can be programmed to control the TV's volume.

With cable STBs one can set the output volume to "fixed" and this provides the highest/best signal to the TV. If the volume is controlled in the STB (via the variable rather than fixed setting), then the S/N ratio is often low, causing hum/audio issues. Just a thought from someone who doesn't know every function available with the particular STB.
Old 2010-06-03, 05:59 PM   #41
Pinza
Veteran

None of the current or even the last generations of Bell STB's allowed Volume Control via the STB. The last models that I can recall, were the 1000, 2700 and maybe the 4700. These are all very old models now.

I would probably start by making sure they are both in the same hydro outlet, after that I am lost.

Is it possible to borrow another STB to see if it just your that may be faulty.?
Old 2010-06-10, 10:40 AM   #42
Rex The King
Rookie

the 6100 has an optical output, so if you have a home theater device try that connection. The sound is fantastic in that mode.
Old 2010-06-10, 12:50 PM   #43
Pinza
Veteran

The OP said;

Quote:
unfortunately using the Digital out will not work for my setup
Old 2010-06-11, 02:12 PM   #44
Rex The King
Rookie

Oops missed that. Before I hooked up the digital output, I was not getting very good audio from the receiver to the tv using the conventional hookup.
Old 2010-07-18, 09:01 PM   #45
AdHoc
Rookie

Question 6100 Troubleshooting

I have a 6100 receiver that's gone wonky on me. First lost all HD channels so I swapped cables at the SW21 and then performed check switch. Got HD channels back but lost regular channels. So thought I had a bad switch so I got a new one but same issues. Checked the signal strength with dish finder and appears good for each dish. Signal strength on receiver is good for whatever dish is coming in. Talked to tech support and they performed resets etc. etc. but still no joy. It seemsed to act up just when the weather was getting warmer. One odd thing though.. when 91 dish is on I can't get all the channels, 400 TSN is not available says error but some SportsNet channels are available.
Not sure what else to do except to line up a service call. Any sugestions?

Tags
6100, bell, receiver, setup