Kinect for Xbox 360 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > Video Game Consoles and PC Gaming

Old 2010-10-29, 11:55 AM   #31
camilos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Anybody getting Kinect? Anybody tried it in Toronto or Montreal?

I have mine pre-ordered and will post impressions next week when I get it.
Haven't tried it yet but I did pre-order the 4Gig bundle. I thought of getting the 250 gig bundle, but since I have a 16 gig USB lying around, I'll just use that as my hard drive.

What games are you guys getting? I'm getting Dance Central, Kinect Sports and Kinectimals for my family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-10-30, 01:16 PM   #32
Bdub

I'm getting Sports, Joy Ride (depending on reviews), Your Shape, and Dance Central.
Old 2010-11-04, 01:02 PM   #33
Bdub

I'll post some early impressions, and will come back with more detail after I've played for a while.

Overall, I'm really enjoying Kinect so far. I expected it to be looser than it is.

The river-raft game on Adventures is quite fun and responsive. I also played the Rally Ball game, and it was fun.

Kinect Sports is a pretty polished package. I tried the bowling, and loved it. The table tennis is more precise than I expected (I thought it would be throw-away, like the version on Wii game that comes with a controller). In fact, I think I'll have to compare Move table tennis to this. I'm certainly enjoying this table tennis as much as the Move version.

As for lag, it's not been the issue that I expected. Certainly, there's an adjustment to playing without a controller, and I think the adjustment to that covers up whatever lag issues are there. I'm too involved with the game to really notice, or perhaps it's just not that different than the lag we see in other games.

I've also had no issue with space. My room is long (19 feet), but not terribly wide. I haven't tried multiplayer games yet.

I didn't pick up Joy Ride due to the poor reviews, but the demo for it on Kinect Adventures controls a lot better than what I expected based on those reviews. The demo is enough for my son. He'll be satisfied to drive on the same course. The demo also supports multiplayer. I managed to drive without any problem. Sure, I ran into the walls a few times, but I did that on Mario Kart the first time I played as well.

Using the menus both with gestures and voice isn't very good so far, but perhaps I don't have it configured properly yet. I don't really care about that aspect of it.

My wife played Dance Central briefly and enjoyed it.

I'll post more info in the future.
Old 2010-11-04, 01:16 PM   #34
james99

MS is having an outdoor event today in downtown Toronto (park across from Eaton Centre).

Seems to be drawing a crowd.

They also opened a "store" just down the street from the park.
Old 2010-11-05, 10:16 PM   #35
Steve604

got mine today,
only played uncaged fighter so far, heck of a workout,
comparing to Wii boxing, its better, I'd say the punching is some what similar,
techniques and movements have to be fairly precise, doesn't always pick up the right move, but you can't expect perfection

tried to play without training, I was completely wrong, I've got about 10 years of martial arts training, I thought it would be an advantage, not even close,

overall its pretty cool,
if you used a Wii a lot, you'd use Kinect a lot, my Wii was never used and now has been donated to my mom,
I see this being similar to rockband for me, occasional use when people are over for partys etc.
time will tell
Old 2010-11-07, 05:26 PM   #36
Steve604

had a party last night the kinect was a hit, we were playing all night
Old 2010-11-07, 05:51 PM   #37
Danster

How do you compare playing with friends with Kinect instead of Wii?
Old 2010-11-07, 08:07 PM   #38
Steve604

I'd say its similar kind of experience, but I'd give the win to kinect by a lot
good entertainment, everyone was having fun,
I'd say more people played the kinect than would have played the Wii if thats what I had going,
the pictures it took during kinect adventures were funny, everyone was laughing

probably had 30 people over between 25 and 35 years old,
I'd say at least half were playing so its not just for kids,

my Wii collected dust most the time much like my rockband, but we played rockband last night too,

the Kinect won't be replacing CoD as my main gaming, but I could see it stealing some CoD time, and me getting in way better shape cause of it,

almost everybody was sweating like crazy who played
Old 2010-11-08, 04:30 PM   #39
Danster

Where I was going with my question is like when you play with the Wii, it was not easy to get the wimote to do what you wanted to do. It wasn't too forgiving.

With Kinect, is it very precise or does it allow for certain margin of errors?

If I was to let someone over 60 to play, would they be able to play with Wii or Kinect the best?
Does that make sense?
Old 2010-11-08, 11:28 PM   #40
Steve604

the games i've played are pretty demanding, I'm a little sore today from playing,
I'm 28, a Heavy duty mechanic and workout occationally,

a 60 year old would have a rough time, you have to get your whole body into it,
Old 2010-11-09, 08:13 AM   #41
Bdub

I'd say the bowling game is easier for young kids and older folks than Wii; no buttons to deal with, but somebody else has to set the game up. The table tennis is another game that doesn't require you to move around too much. Certainly no more tiring than the Wii versions.

I'm sore as well, but I doubt older players will do the track and field games. It must be the "raise your knees" thing when running. I run every week, and Kinect Sports makes me sore. Maybe it's all the jumping.
Old 2010-11-09, 03:22 PM   #42
camilos

I tried kinect this Saturday with my 7 year old daughter. I was truly disappointed. It felt off and I just didn't find it fun. We played kinect adventures.

On Sunday we tried kinect sports. I had a blast. My daughter and I played volleyball for 2 hours. She kept kicking my ass. Then I let my 3 year old daughter play bowling. After 5 minutes she got the hang of it and was having fun.

I guess like any other system, it depends on the quality of the games. Its even more fun when you play with others. You can easily play online too. Ping Pong online is really fun. But just like all online modes, the other player will probably be better than you.

Next game to try : Dance Central with my extended family
Old 2011-12-02, 06:28 PM   #43
aeroplane

Question Tight space for Kinect, ideas?

I have done some serious thinking about the Kinect. I really like it and like some of the games. BUT..........I am in an apartment and very tight for space.

After completing some measurements. If I mount the Kinect on my wall 6 feet high. And I can stand maximum 6ft from the kinect, do you think this will work successfully for most games? I think it will probably differ from game to game?

What does the sensor need to see for successful calibration? Reason being is my 58"inch TV with center channel mounted on top may block the sensor from calibrating me properly?

In summation, I will be 6ft from the sensor and the kinect mounted 6ft high on the back wall behind my TV/Center speaker.

Thanks
Old 2011-12-02, 08:39 PM   #44
DJDiggler

I think you will be ok, 6ft back is enough room as long as your not hitting anything with flailing arms and legs! Mounting the kinect high is a good idea as it gets a better view. There is also a adapter that you can get that is suposed to help with small rooms but there are mixed reviews...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/n...nect-hands-on/
Old 2011-12-02, 08:59 PM   #45
aeroplane

Thanks, I may just give it a shot. I can always return the unit if it doesn't work. I did read about the add-on and quite the mixed reviews on it. I think I would rather do it properly. If it doesn't work at least I tried my best

Now to find the best deal.

I was in the US on the weekend and the Kinect was $89 on sale but knowing that it might not work I kept walking.

Its so much more here.