Motorola DCX3400 Coming/ Has arrived to Eastlink - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > EastLink

Old 2010-06-14, 10:53 AM   #61
Quadrature
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Does anyone know if you can tell exactly what Hard Drive size you have?
Also, is there a specific type of external hard drive that is prefered to use? Any special set-up issues? Is there a size/capacity limitation?
The internal hard drive is 250GB -- you can check the drive status by going in to the diagnostic menu (power off then "select" or "ok") and scroll down to item 13.

The external drive needs to be in an eSATA enclosure -- mine's a 1TB Western Digital...not sure of the maximum size limitation. I just powered off the DVR, plugged in the drive, powered up the drive then turned the DVR back on. There was a screen asking to format the drive and once that was selected it was only a few seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-14, 04:37 PM   #62
jimbo42

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Just swapped out my Eastlink HDTV box to the new DCX3400-M. It definitley looks a lot nicer. Does anyone know if you can tell exactly what Hard Drive size you have? Apparently, there are three sizes available....160gb (DCX3416), 250gb (DCX3425) & 320gb (DCX3432). I could not find a place where this is indicated.

Since we can swap these units at kiosks as ignun has stated I'm thinking of swapping out another of my nondvr-STB's and picking up a new DCX3400-M for a bedroom. Makes it easier than having to wait for a tech to come out.

Last edited by magnet; 2010-06-16 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Cleaned up post
Old 2010-06-14, 06:59 PM   #63
Phil

Default DCX3400-M

I had read this entire thread. There were some other sites that also claimed that the internal 250gb Hard Drive was only formated for 160gb.

And the fact that there is also a 320gb version available did not preclude the possibility that Eastlink was also providing that version as well.

I needed to know how to check what I had, and thanks to Quadrature, I got my answer.

Quad....what model WD eSata Drive do you have? I have read some mixed reviews on a couple of them that had bad pixelation issues.

Thanks.
Old 2010-06-14, 07:25 PM   #64
jimbo42

It was quite clear in post #39 that the boxes come with a 250GB hard drive and also there have been a whole bunch of posts on this forum on how to get into the diagnostics of a motorola STB so a simple search would have found your answers. Actually the OP stated in post #1 what model and hard drive size Eastlink was releasing.

This box has worked great for me and I recommend it to anyone looking to swap. No more audio dropouts at all lol.

Last edited by magnet; 2010-06-16 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Cleaned up post
Old 2010-06-15, 01:04 PM   #65
Phil

Default DCX3400-M

Post #1 Speculated that it "appeared" to be a 250 gb HD. Not exactly a firm answer. Apparently there is also a 500gb Version out there as well as the 160gb and 320gb

It was common knowledge that Eastlink provided different HD sizes on the older DCT's, and the same could have been true with the new DCX.

Please show me where in this thread (besides Quadrature) indicated how to get into the diganostics?

I must be blind.

Maybe there should not be multiple threads about the same topic. Therein lies the real problem.
Old 2010-06-15, 01:10 PM   #66
magnet

Diagnostics on the 6416 can be reached by immediately hitting the menu button after turning off the DVR. Try that.
Old 2010-06-15, 01:26 PM   #67
zortoflaven
Rookie

Got my old DCT swapped out to the new DCX today. Called up tech support, they made some notes on my account, went into a kiosk and they swapped it with no troubles.
Old 2010-06-15, 04:22 PM   #68
jimbo42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortoflaven
Got my old DCT swapped out to the new DCX today. Called up tech support, they made some notes on my account, went into a kiosk and they swapped it with no troubles.
Just wondering when you called them up to swap was it the sameday or did they need a day or two to have one of the new boxes sent to the kiosk?

Last edited by magnet; 2010-06-16 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Cleaned up post
Old 2010-06-15, 05:13 PM   #69
zortoflaven
Rookie

Was same day. Called in the morning, dropped by the Sackville Drive office an hour or so later. They had a whole stack of them just behind the counter.
Old 2010-06-16, 07:24 AM   #70
ignun

They had lots of them at the Halifax shopping center kiosk too.
Old 2010-06-16, 08:10 AM   #71
magnet

I cleaned up a few posts and ask that we all stay on topic.
If you have an issue with someone's post, you are reminded to use the "Report Post" Red Triangle icon.
Failure to follow the rules will result in infractions being issued.
Old 2010-06-16, 01:47 PM   #72
alandla

Just went to the kiosk here in Charlottetown and we don't have any, with no time line indicated as to when we will have them. Apparently the shipment from Motorola didn't arrive on Monday when it was supposed to.

Also found out that we will likely not be able to swap them at the kiosk but will have to make an appointment to get a service tech to come out to the house
Old 2010-06-16, 03:13 PM   #73
jimbo42

Very strange when some of the guys/gals here have swapped them through kiosks in NS. Did you tell them that in Halifax/Dartmouth/Sackville area of NS that they are allowing people to swap via kiosks if they call in and make arrangements?
Old 2010-06-16, 03:18 PM   #74
akagw

I called Customer Service today to inquire about swapping both of my DCT 6416 boxes. They put me on hold and called the Mic Mac Mall location while I waited. They came back and told me that they had a bunch of them at the Mic Mac kiosk. All I had to do was bring in the old ones and I can get the new ones.

Just got back and it's initializing as we speak. I got a bit worried at first because it was taking a while, but the channels seem to be trickling in now.

The box is very slick looking. A bit thicker than I expected but it matches all my other gear and is much more modern looking.

I also asked for 2 new remotes and received 2 Universal Electronics remotes.

I couldn't believe it was this easy. No appointments, no problem. Way to go Eastlink! A definite step in the right direction.
Old 2010-06-16, 09:04 PM   #75
alandla

I didn't have to mention about the kiosks stocking them in NS.

While we were talking, she was complaining that they have almost zero space in their kiosk compared to the ones in Halifax (she complained that they could hardly hold a few modems or extra remote controls) and so that's why when it finally does come in, she could take my name and set me up with an appointment since they would likely not be storing any on site.

The worst part is that it's very difficult for me to schedule a time to be home for the service guys but I pass the kiosk every day! Maybe if I buy her a coffee, I might be able to get her to hold one for me when they finally do come in.