Sony Update #3.21 Bricks Your PS3? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > Video Game Consoles and PC Gaming

Old 2010-04-08, 08:46 AM   #16
dezzpayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty5 View Post
hundreds of ps3 users crying foul over the 3.21 update:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...d-p/ps3updates
Oh my, there's more crying happening in those forums than at a daycare.
dezzpayne is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-04-08, 09:25 AM   #17
Tezster
Veteran

I can't take that kind of childish drama - there are more constructive ways to address a problem.

Reading the messages on that forum, one would think the removal of the 'Install other OS' feature was an attack to democracy itself.
Old 2010-04-08, 10:53 AM   #18
jayoldschool
Veteran

I am tired of these "#.## update bricked my PS3" threads. This isn't a comment about Stampeder, it is just in general. This stuff happens with every update since the first one. Any piece of hardware will have failures.

Think about how much internet traffic there would be if we started "I updated my PS3 and everything is fine!"

I know, don't open the thread if you don't want to read it...
jayoldschool is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-04-12, 10:50 AM   #19
prufrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
This stuff happens with every update since the first one. Any piece of hardware will have failures.
I totally disagree. Having had a machine ruined by an update, I think that the rate this is happening is unacceptable.

Sony has been playing the SKU game since launch, and it's come to hurt a lot of owners.

If a software update bricks what was a perfectly good piece of electronics, that is the company's issue, not the consumers'.

Maybe Sony needs to extend its own warranty to three years and cover this issue.
Old 2010-04-12, 12:01 PM   #20
jayoldschool
Veteran

Quote:
I think that the rate this is happening is unacceptable
What is the rate? From what I have read, the failure rate is very low.

Of course, I feel your pain. I would be upset, as well, if mine bricked after an update. My point was that people only talk about the failures, not the millions of consoles that are updated successfully with every firmware update.
jayoldschool is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-04-12, 12:45 PM   #21
Tezster
Veteran

There are two separate issues at work here. Console failures in itself is unavoidable - just a fact of life when dealing with computers (the PS3 is technically a computer in this regard). The other issue is of course whether Sony is doing their due diligence in terms of performing proper testing to minimize failures, as well as how they ultimately support any 'bricked' PS3 after the fact.

Personal experience and using internet to gauge failure rates isn't that reliable. Besides, for the individual user, the overall statistics of how many machines failed isn't as important as which machines are affected. If only one in a million PS3's got bricked, but it was your PS3 that was the unlucky unit, how many people would take solace in the fact that the PS3 is a generally reliable piece of hardware, despite personally being the proud new owner of a $300 paperweight?
Old 2010-04-12, 09:34 PM   #22
prufrock

I guess I was a little vague in my wording.

I don't like the fact that:

1) Every update has lead to complaints of broken machines

2) The vast majority of broken units (based only on what I have read in various forums, so certainly not comprehensive) seem to be the "fat" units (20, 60, 80, 40 GB)

3) Sony can tell that I was using the machine perfectly fine on a certain date based on signing into PSN, but won't acknowledge that the update bricked my machine and extend the warranty to fixing it, even if that means sending out a refurb

Personally, I love the PS3 and use it far more than my 360; I have two of the slims now. Should one fail again, though, it won't get replaced. A two-year lifespan should never be acceptable for any electronics, consumer-society aside.
Old 2010-04-12, 10:10 PM   #23
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
2) The vast majority of broken units (based only on what I have read in various forums, so certainly not comprehensive) seem to be the "fat" units (20, 60, 80, 40 GB)
Well of course more fatties would have a higher number of bricked units - the slim is a relatively new product, so fewer of them exist.

Unless you are only referring to this new update. If so, please ignore the above!
Old 2010-04-14, 01:24 AM   #24
prufrock

23.8 million PS3s sold before the slim, according the newsweek.

About 34 million sold to date.

You'd think the slims would be susceptible to some degree of failure with those numbers.
Old 2010-04-14, 09:13 AM   #25
Quadrature
Rookie

My 60 GB updated fine. Actually, it was the first thing it did when I first powered it up after getting it back from having the dreaded "flashing red light failure" fixed, which made me a little nervous. So far so good, though
Quadrature is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-04-14, 12:15 PM   #26
Dioneo
Veteran

No problem with the update for my old-school 60GB model.
Old 2010-04-14, 01:46 PM   #27
bolmsted
Veteran

If it was within the last 2 weeks or so I believe I did the upgrade on my "fat" model without any adverse reactions. Have watched a couple of movies but no games (not really a gamer per se). I would have to check the version to be sure. Glad I didn't brick my PS3 but I'll be cautious about doing firmware upgrades for a while and make sure they have been field tested for a while.
bolmsted is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-04-14, 02:28 PM   #28
TKG26
Veteran

woooh thought mine bricked last nite.. Loaded MW2 and went to start a game and got a black screen........... Reset reset reset i cant get my game to play..

Eject disk and wash off my 6year olds greasy finger prints and dried food from the disk and voila! im camping again!
Old 2010-04-17, 05:10 PM   #29
BPWingN

I updated my 320Gb (swapped out a 40Gb) with no adverse reactions at all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.