Telus D-Link triple play router modem issues - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-06-24, 06:05 PM   #31
mellaby

Redsun, it depends on what's connecting to your network. I have a wireless laptop, wireless printer and wired desktop and they communicate with one another perfectly with just the 3810. The X box 360 seems to be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-24, 07:53 PM   #32
beanagee1

I used to have the D-link routers wireless function turned off and everything was run through Apple Time Capsule (built in Airport Express). I used the TC wireless and back up. I used to have frequent freezing, and low download speeds. Telus kept insisting that I should get rid of the Time Capsule as it must be the problem. So, I turned on the d-link wireless and now the internet connections works better. Now, my system cannot see the HP printer (wireless or wired) and I have tried plugging it through the TC and the d-link. I looked at the router management page and it seems that the network knows that the printer is there (showing the correct IP) but it also shows that it is not connected. Telus support is rolling the truck again (3rd call in the last three weeks).
Old 2010-06-25, 10:40 AM   #33
mellaby

Login into your printer and make sure the security is setup.
Old 2010-06-26, 01:52 PM   #34
beanagee1

"Login into your printer and make sure the security is setup."

Sorry to be dense, but can you please explain what you mean by this.

Let me a bit more clear about the problem. I connected the printer (HP All in One 8800 Premier) to the d-link router using a network cable. My computers (2 Macs) cannot see the printer. The printer picks up the right IP from the router, but the the computers cannot connect to them. I then setup the printer to be wirelessly connected to the network and the computers have no problem finding the printer. Router issue?
Old 2010-06-26, 03:29 PM   #35
duffy11

Yes, it's a router issue. It would seem that there are issues communicating certain way between the wireless and wired segments. You can resolve it (after a fashion) by running a separate wireless router off of the D-Link, and hooking up all components to the second router (this is how I have my stuff set up).
Old 2010-06-28, 05:10 PM   #36
mellaby

Duff, it might not be a router issue yet. I had a friend with a Mac that had the same problem with a different router. She had to contact Mac support to fix the problem. I'm sorry I can't help more cause I use a PC. I never had a problem seeing the printer when wired, just the wireless part. I had to log into my HP 6500 Wireless and set the wireless secuity before my PC's could even see the Printer. I don't remember having this problem with my older HP 5850 Wireless on a Linksys router.
Old 2010-07-03, 12:23 PM   #37
RedsunsDriver

Okay, so the tech came over last week and changed the QoS on my router from Default to "Triple Play User"
For some reason this seemed to work. Freezing has stopped and internet speed was quite good.

But then for some reason, today, the QoS was set back to Default and even the name of my wireless network changed.

WHAT HAPPENED?
Old 2010-07-04, 07:36 PM   #38
WalnutCrunch

Well I disabled wireless on the triple play, connected a dlink dir-615 to it, configured it, and now wireless and wired are playing nice together.

I'd love it if I didn't need to connect a second router, but at least it works now.

The following devices now can connect and interact with each other

ipad (wireless) to imac (wired) - remote and air video
iphone remote to imac (wired)
imac (wired) to airport express (wireless)

Thanks for the solution.
Old 2010-07-09, 11:00 PM   #39
beanagee1

Router problems continue. Telus installer came again, this must about the fifth time in three months. The installer was not able to attach a printer to router and then have the network see it. The printer is visible if attached via the wireless network. The tech gave on this problem.

So, I went back to more complex setup. Turned off the wireless on the Telus router and attached the Apple Time Capsule to it. Attached everything to the TC. Now it all works.

In the past, I had issues with this setup. The problem was caused by conflicting IP addresses on the network. It turned out that one of the devices was hung off the d-link routers while all of the other devices got their ip from the TC. Sometimes, both the TC and the router would assign the same IP to two different devices, thus the conflict. This conflict would lead to the slowdown of the Internet. Telus technicians did not pick this up.

At least is now, finally, sorted out.
Old 2010-07-20, 12:05 AM   #40
MarcP
Veteran

Default Playstation 3, DLNA and OptikTV router

This is an issue that is directly related to the router Telus gave me as part of my Optik TV install, but it's not related to Optik TV itself so I'm a bit confused where to post this.

I just bought a PS3 and I'm trying to make it see my D-Link DNS-323 NAS which has videos on it. The PS3 is connected to my network with wireless while the NAS is wired. Somehow, there seems to be a gap in the bridge that the router does between wireless and wired so UPnP/DLNA packets are not passed. If I connect the PS3 with a wire, then it sees everything on the NAS (plus my other UPnP machines). Connect it wireless, it doesn't see it (but it gets on the internet fine and I can ping it from any computers).

The router's firmware doesn't seem to show any settings I can change to allow UPnP or DLNA pass-through between wireless and wired. The PS3 is located where I can't bring a wire so it was to link wireless. And Telus support has absolutely no idea of what I'm talking about.

Anybody else experiencing this with the Optik TV router?
Old 2010-07-20, 01:41 AM   #41
MarcP
Veteran

Looks like my post was moved in the right thread.

I've gone through the thread and it's seems to be a common issue with the router. So I guess I'm gonna go buy a new wireless router to add to the network and disable the wireless on the Telus router.

Do I connect the WAN port of the new router into a LAN port of the old router? Sounds weird to have two DHCP servers into two different subnets. Wouldn't be it better to disable DHCP on the new router, assign it a static IP and then connect LAN to LAN? That way everything is in the same subnet and I can still use the Telus router for the extra ports. And also I can access the configuration of both routers without having to move the wire.
Old 2010-07-20, 08:54 AM   #42
MarcP
Veteran

So I added a new DLink DIR-601 to my network and everything is working. The PS3 can see my NAS and iTunes can also properly see the AppleTV now. Shame that I had to pay extra to fix an ugly bug in Telus' router and nobody there had any clue of what I was talking about. A new firmware has been available since March from DLink, but Telus won't update.
Old 2010-07-20, 09:18 AM   #43
Dr.Dave

Marc, do you know if the new firmware fixes the wired/wireless problem?

Did you go the static IP route and were you able to access admin mode on both routers?
Old 2010-07-20, 07:49 PM   #44
MarcP
Veteran

I don't know if the new firmware specifically addresses this as it didn't come with a readme file to confirm. I'd imagine it does since it's a nasty bug that also affects my AppleTV.

And yes, I went the static IP route, disabled DHCP (and linked both boxes LAN to LAN) and I can access the firmware of both boxes in addition of having the PS3 and AppleTV working as they should.
Old 2010-07-20, 08:00 PM   #45
Dr.Dave

Thanks for the info. We can use your configuration as a "best practices" example.

Tags
internet, optik, optik tv, router, telus