Unscheduled Mystery -- Bell HS DSL Modem Alternative -- And Browsing Problem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet

Old 2010-03-18, 11:29 AM   #1
JoyLan
Rookie

Smile Unscheduled Mystery -- Bell HS DSL Modem Alternative -- And Browsing Problem

Bell HS Friends,

Here's a detective story about replacing a fried modem, including false leads by friendly Bell HS support staff. So, basically, the hope is that someone can share any good ideas concerning the predicament faced by our family. We are one week now without our Internet, which is too long for an unscheduled mystery . . .

1. CRIME #1: Speedstream 5200 modem fried. Diagnosed by Bell. Bell sends new combo router/modem/wireless thingee. Possible justice . . .

2. CRIME #2: Multiple hours with Bell reps on phone but cannot get modem to work properly. One rep walks me thru setting up the WAN MiniPort adapter. However, it doesn't work consistently and doesn't work on other computers. At least we have shown that the DSL line and CO connection is working, as sometimes it is possible to browse. But WAN MiniPort is nuts (and according to another rep, "non-standard"...) . . . Decide to go with older modem only box, which is now scheduled for delivery. No justice yet . . .

3. ANOTHER SOLUTION: Waiting for delivery of older modem-only box, I decide to try a third party modem, the D-Link 2320B. Have varying reports as to whether this modem will work with Bell. But TigerDirect guy in store says (a) that he has friends using the modem on Bell and (b) if it doesn't work I can bring it back. Also, the nice Canadian D-Link support person says that there are many people using the 2320B on Sympatico. A lead!

4. THAT SOLUTION WORKS -- ALMOST: Setting up the modem (either directly connected to computer or connected via a DLink Router to same computer), we get a solid green DSL and solid green Internet light, and an IP address in the modem status page, and the modem status information seems to indicate total success.

5. BUT SOLUTION CAN'T BROWSE -- However, I cannot browse, from the same browser that goes successfully to the modem web page. Get an "invalid address" message. The DSL and Internet lights do not flicker on the modem, during the attempt, suggesting that the request is not going out and back.

6. DIAGNOSIS -- In order to diagnose the problem, I have double checked all the settings, and I have turned off the firewalls. Ping does not work for domain names (haven't tried IP addresses).

7. QUESTION NO. 1 -- THIRD PARTY MODEMS WORK? Do third party modems work with Bell Sympatico?

8. QUESTION NO. 2 -- MODEM SETUP -- Is there any setup configuration things that I need to be aware of with the 2320B?

9. QUESTION NO. 3 -- OTHER ISSUES -- Are there any other things that anyone thinks might be helpful here???

I'm soooooo close to resolution here -- I hope. The older Bell modem will be delivered, then I can try that. It should work as the setup will be identical to the previous setup. And justice will be achieved!

Perhaps the answers here will be helpful to other people.

Thanks for any help.

JoyLan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-03-18, 01:21 PM   #2
surgent

Default Perhaps a try

It sounds like you might have to change you DNS settings. The steps to do the differ depending on what version of Windows you are using.
On Vista, you go to Control Panel -> Network & Internet and then to Network Connections.
Choose your Local Area Network and right click on it and go to properties.
Once a new window pops up you need to choose 'Internet Protocol Version 4' and click properties.
On this page you will see the following options

Obtain IP address automatically
Use the following IP address

The first one should be selected

Then on that same window (bottom half) you will see
-Obtain DNS server address automatically
and
-Use the following DNS server addresses (this should be selected)

The 2 addresses that you want are 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3

I hope that this works. This was the same solution that I spent numerous times on the phone with bell a few years ago.
Old 2010-03-19, 05:21 PM   #3
JoyLan
Rookie

Default Resolution Info . . . And Comments On Bell Experience

Quick Resolution . . . SpeedStreem 4200 Modem works 100% . . . Bell rep on phone did not understand subnetting . . . Modem is actually a one port router with modem, and if you poke around on the web, you can get access to box-generated webpages which allow you to turn it into a bridge, and therefore use a separate router. So, right now, it is at 192.168.2.1 and seems to be faster than the fried 5200. In summary, expect that this will continue to work until it fries in a couple of years! In the meantime, Bell's service left a lot to be desired (in terms of logistics, both deliveries were seriously in error, in terms of support, all three technical calls were in some way seriously deficient -- like the suggestion that the WAN MiniPort was the right way to solve problems).

WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED: The simpler 4200 modem should have been my first choice -- i.e. no changes to my existing environment -- drop in the new modem to replace the old modem. A little configuration. 1/2 hour max.

WHAT DID HAPPEN: The new white wireless router thingee is underdocumented and poorly understood, and kind of forces you to do things Bell's way, which is a sort of lowest common denominator of household networking, and although it can probably be made to do something else, no support person could actually even figure out how to make the box work as it was supposed to work. In the end we tried just one computer and the modem, with a ethernet cable and the RJ45 from the wall. How simple is that? Apparently not simple enough.

So, a whole week of frustration, which was more than inconvenient for several family members.

Oh, I guess I'll take the 2320B D-Link back to the store. Too bad . . . but saves a few dollars...

JoyLan
Old 2010-03-19, 05:22 PM   #4
JoyLan
Rookie

Default Re: DNS Suggestion

Surgent,

Thanks for your suggestion, but DNS has nothing to do with the problems or resolution, as far as I can tell.

JoyLan

Tags
bell, d-link, dsl, internet, modem