Archos Android tablets to compete with iPad - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Portable Electronics: Digital Cameras, Camcorders, ebook Readers, iPods, MP3 Players and GPS

Old 2010-03-04, 02:00 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Archos Android tablets to compete with iPad

Less than a month prior to when the Apple iPad is expected to reach retail stores, Archos, the Denver based company which introduced the first portable video player in 2003, has announced two new Android-based tablet computers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-03-04, 03:30 PM   #2
Momorider

What is up with the size of the bezel on that thing?
Old 2010-03-04, 04:00 PM   #3
NeilN
Veteran

In the second pic? I'm guessing that's the photo frame you can snap on.
Old 2010-03-05, 12:27 AM   #4
Gord Lacey
Veteran

I think that's the whole unit - I read about it on Archos.com and there's no mention of anything optional with the unit. Man, is it ever ugly!

Gord
Old 2010-03-05, 09:31 AM   #5
NeilN
Veteran

Looks like you're right. What are they thinking?
Old 2010-03-05, 05:26 PM   #6
Coop

I think it's more suited as a photo frame with perks than a tablet, which may be appealing to a lot of people.
Old 2010-04-25, 05:54 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642

I'd be inclined to hold off for a bit. The Archos 7 is now available for pre-sale from Amazon in the US and can be pre-ordered online in various places. It seems to be going for $250-$300 running Android 1.6. This isn't exactly a direct competitor for an Apple iPad which is just shy of 10" screen -- admittedly at twice the price. There will be a slew of these 7"-ish devices coming to market in the coming 60 days or so; with the larger screens more likely to come later in the year.

If the iPad is not to your taste (perhaps because of the 4:3 ratio screen, lack of a USB port, lack of iPad Adobe Flash support at websites, etc), similar screen size and weight units are coming under Android 2.1. I'd tend to hold out for those. But this is REALLY early to be buying unless you are a cutting edge hobbyist.
Old 2010-04-25, 09:13 PM   #8
Larry
Veteran

Sure seems to be that the new battleground is the OS - Android vs iPhone OS (is there a name?). I don't think Windows Mobile (or whatever its latest name is) will ever be a real competitor in the "small" screen market. There is no reason that Google (or a partner) can't put out a iPad competitor (perhaps AnPad?). It will come down to the applications and acceptance of the OS. This will be interesting - with Microsoft just watching from the sidelines as Apple and Google battle for supremacy.
Old 2010-04-26, 06:08 AM   #9
Tikker

Android is too fractured ATM to be a real competitor.
Old 2010-04-26, 08:40 AM   #10
hugh
Member #1

I doubt these units will fair well in the marketplace.

To echo SensualPoet, give us an Android 2.1 device in a form factor comparable to the iPad and then I think you could see some significant sales.
Old 2010-04-26, 02:52 PM   #11
Wayne
Veteran

You will need the quality and quantity of apps to be high as well. If this device could play all common video files and also access content like books from Amazon Kindle then that would really help. One of my biggest issues with the iPad is that you can't directly play most video files such as AVIs,MPEGs and MKVs.
Old 2010-04-26, 03:02 PM   #12
Tikker

the archos units just wtfpwn the apple units as media devices, it's not even close

i can toss 720p .mkv files at it with no issues
Old 2010-04-26, 04:09 PM   #13
Cisco99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
the archos units just wtfpwn the apple units as media devices, it's not even close

And I can transcode live, over wifi or the internet, 720p Mkv, Divx, Avi, or even Flv, to the iPad from my PC with a $2.99 app called Air Video. It'll transcode and downrez 1080p to it just fine also.

To each their own but "wtfpwn"? lol.
Old 2010-04-26, 04:27 PM   #14
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post

The Archos 9 looks pretty sweet but the battery life is only 5 hours which is a bit of an issue.
Old 2010-05-06, 05:39 PM   #15
Tikker

I use air video with my iPod touch as well

native archos blows the iPhone os away as a media platform

Tags
android, archos, tablet