Bell Fibe 25 Plan - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet

Old 2010-02-11, 11:10 AM   #1
See You
Rookie

Default Bell Fibe 25 Plan

Bell recently came up with this new plan with 25 MBPS download and 7 MBPS upload speed for $67.95 (regular price) plus modem rental of $6.95, has anyone try this new plan and how good is it? What is the sustainable upload or download speed that has been experienced by users so far?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-02-11, 12:38 PM   #2
MTL

I'll probably sound a bit biased since i work for the company, but the 25/7 plan is pretty sweet. They even provision you on a 29/8 profile to account for the 15% loss of Bandwidth in PPPoE overhead.

If i was close enough to my remote, i'd be all over it.
Old 2010-02-11, 12:52 PM   #3
See You
Rookie

You mean I will get an honest 25/7 mbps speed without suffering any tranmission losses? If it is true, I will definitely sign up for it.
Old 2010-02-11, 02:12 PM   #4
Alternate

With that $6.95 modem rental(83.40 plus tax a year), that will get expensive year after year.
Better to see who much one costs to buy.
You just need to know the specifications of the connection, like VDSL2(newer modems) or ADSL2+(older modems) and a couple of other settings.
For Bell ADSL2+ is, VPI/VCI .35 , bridged mode , Uncheck DHCP for a modem only unit and to be used with your own router.

Unless it's rent to own. But a good quality modem should last a long time.

EDIT:
bandwidth allowance is a freaking joke. Telus has a 100gigs per month on the turbo plan. Telus doesn't have the fast upload, but high upload is only good for business or home servers.

Bell
* Faster download speeds - up to 25 Mbps
* Fastest upload speeds in the market - up to 7 Mbps
* Internet usage: 75 GB of bandwidth per month

Old 2010-02-11, 02:21 PM   #5
See You
Rookie

I know, it adds up overtime, but Bell will not sell you the modem and they won't authorize it if you buy your own. So I am looking at $74.90 plus tax for all in cost for a 25-7 MBPS internet service.
In comparison, my Teksavvy DSL only run at 4.3/0.6 MBPS and costing $39.90 per month.
Old 2010-02-11, 02:38 PM   #6
Alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by See You View Post
I know, it adds up overtime, but Bell will not sell you the modem and they won't authorize it if you buy your own. So I am looking at $74.90 plus tax for all in cost for a 25-7 MBPS internet service.
In comparison, my Teksavvy DSL only run at 4.3/0.6 MBPS and costing $39.90 per month.
Anyone can check with there Government consumer protection agency on buying your own VDSL2+ modem.
There are rules in place to stop anti-consumer practices of gouging the customers with long term rentals without option of purchase at a fair price(remember when you had to rent your home phone?). Even some random posts, say that Bell is charging customers the rental fee, without there being a rental. And thats illegal. But when Bell owns seats in Government, well you get the picture.
If you are in Ontario, file a complaint about being forced to rent a modem or there being a fee without a rental being used.
http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/pages/default.aspx

Note that buying your own modem is you are responsible for it's support, unless bought from Bell. Combination units that are modem and router combined can have issues and may not be as secure as you might think from attacks.

But fiber to the node and then VDSL2 to the home is still great compared to just ADSL2. I wonder if TekSavvy will be allowed to resell it? (EDIT: Apparently Teksavvy can not, due to it being a somewhat newer protocol of hardware, or some B.S. like that, so no reselling it.)

Heres a copy and paste of some reasons why there is an illegal rental. Slightly old in some details.
Can I opt out of the modem rental? Why can't I just use my own?

Sympatico imposes a mandatory modem rental on its subscribers. The rental cost is $2/month plus GST and PST and incorporated into your monthly bill. This monthly rental is not optional.

Some users wish they could purchase their own modem outright and save on the monthly charge, but there is currently no option to do so. There are several good reasons for this:

1. It is a Bell Managed Solution. Even a Bell dedicated 10Mbps fibre connection requires the mandatory rental of a Cisco access router! Bell has traditionally offered complete "ready-to-serve" solutions instead of piecemeal offerings. Sympatico will also replace your modem free of charge if it stops working properly.

The only ADSL service that Bell offers optional modem rental is Bell Business Internet High Speed. (Incidentally, the majority of business subscribers opt in and rent their modems anyway.)

2. They want to maintain high service quality. All the modems that Sympatico has offered for rental have been rigorously tested and come from an approved manufacturer. Sympatico is understandably shy about having foreign modems from unknown origins connect to their network. This also reduces the number of tech support calls.

3. Sympatico wants to be future-proof. Since Sympatico's inception in 1996 up to March 2004, Sympatico has had 3 different high-speed platforms and used 8 different modems. With ADSL2 and VDSL on the horizon, Sympatico is poised to change platforms and modems yet again in the very near future. Sympatico has always upgraded your modem free of charge when necessary.

We have heard rumours that Sympatico has discussed implementing optional modem rental for a couple years now, but as the price of the modem rental has dropped from $10 to $2, this now seems unlikely.
Old 2010-02-11, 02:44 PM   #7
haystack

Quote:
So I am looking at $74.90 plus tax for all in cost for a 25-7 MBPS internet service.
Not quite "all in"
As you know $39 teksavvy is unlimited where bell is 75G, over that insurance is $5 for 40G a month maximum $15(120G) and $1.50 pr G for anything over 195G. That can get expensive.
200G at teksavvy is $30.Everyone has their own need for speed vs budget.
Old 2010-02-11, 06:25 PM   #8
wysiwyg

I share a slingbox with someone in France so he can watch my cable services over there... (I do the same with his). This service would easily handle HD streaming (takes about 2 meg)... I might go for it, since it's $57.95/month for the first year with no contract... It's available in my building...
Old 2010-02-11, 06:37 PM   #9
99semaj
Veteran

Is this VDSL2 service? You need to have fibre darn near to the curb for it to be any good, since speeds degrades by 60% at only 1km....
Old 2010-02-11, 08:23 PM   #10
See You
Rookie

I use my Slingbox a great deal to watch TV on my Blackberry, the slow upload speed of Teksavvy just doesn't make the cut. Since I don't download a lot of movies, 75G is more than enough to meet my needs.
Since we are moving from DSL to VDSL over the next few years, can you guys see Bell sharing their fibre optic lines with other ISP?
Old 2010-02-11, 08:45 PM   #11
wysiwyg

The CRTC has only mandated that BELL provide profiles up to 5 Meg (6 Meg for Business) in Ontario/Quebec.. Bell offers many other profiles now which work over regular ADSL2 lines, but simply don't offer them to third party providers such as TechSavvy, since they are not forced to do so (isn't competition great?) So in the meantime, Bell and Rogers continue to have the advantage and gouge us as a result.

I keep myself updated on this sort of technology in France and they totally opened up the network to providers.... There's major price wars with many companies where they offer triple play (HD TV, Unlimited phone including free world calling and 24 Meg internet) for around $40 Cdn. Much better speeds if your building is wired to fibre, for no additional charge... They are even starting to offer lower price bundles at less than $30 for low cost families, students, etc.. Contracts are short, service is excellent and bandwidth caps are non existant...(one provider tried it and was quickly forced to go back to unlimited).

The CRTC needs to fully open the copper to third part providers with no restrictions. The goverment also needs to have a plan to get fibre deployed at a massive scale in the major cities. Without it, Canada is quickly falling behind, VERY QUICKLY.
Old 2010-02-12, 01:32 AM   #12
Suresh555
Rookie

Default What areas are they available?

I am from Ottawa/Nepean Ont and was told I can only get Fibe 12 in my area.

Anyone knows what area Fibe 25 is available?
Old 2010-02-14, 03:10 PM   #13
markf

It looks like other than essential, Bell is running everything over fibre in my area. From my understanding, the CRTC has mandated that they provide copper up to 5 Mbps, but they don't have to allow access to fiber. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Compared to Cogeco, the Bell promo price ($52.95 in a bundle with or without TV) is pretty good. Add another $12 modem rental and insurance to 115 GB at 25 Mbps. Cogeco's posted price is $76 for 16 Mbps and 125 GB per month. 50 Mbps is up around $150/month.

Having said all this, their Fibe 12 plan looks like a potential killer to some of the independents. Promo price of $40 with modem gives you more than 2x speed than independents can offer with similar bandwidth caps (except for Teksavvy). If you like speed and don't use the bandwidth, the Bell deal is a pretty good one now. If you don't mind calling and threatening to cancel every year, they'll keep you at the same price.
Old 2010-02-14, 03:33 PM   #14
ScaryBob
Veteran

If Bell starts passing usage cap penalties on to third parties, Fibe will kill off competition. IIRC, Bell has permission to charge wholesalers $1.75/GB for anything over 60GB or whatever their current retail cap is. We will end up with independent ISPs at 5Mb/s and 60GB caps and Bell charging anything they want for higher speeds and caps. The CRTC needs to address this in order to keep competition alive. Otherwise, Canadians will be at the mercy of the big telecoms and cable companies once again.
Old 2010-02-14, 05:01 PM   #15
dezzpayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
The CRTC needs to address this in order to keep competition alive. Otherwise, Canadians will be at the mercy of the big telecoms and cable companies once again.
Are you implying we aren't at their mercy now?