BEWARE: The Independant Contractor tried to pull a fast one on me - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-11-01, 03:47 PM   #1
Paolo
Veteran

Default BEWARE: The Independant Contractor tried to pull a fast one on me

Ok here is a interesting tidbit, I am making this post public to spread Awareness. Had a Technician come over to check a problem we're experiencing with one of our set top boxes. The problem is the TV Call Display is not working on the High Def Box, but works on all the standard def boxes I even did some extra work for the techs and checked the signal strengths through the press pause for ten seconds and page up screens. i even moved the high def box to an existing outlet where our SD box is working just fine with caller id.

The Technician came over, it was a NON-ROGERS EMPLOYEE, He does not believe me about that i checked the signal strength and moved the boxes arround on other outlets so he does it again anyways, and he then says he will "TRY" using his HD set top box and see if its a problem with our brand new 10 day old terminal. He goes in his laptop and adds the SAB code to our , installs this scratched to hell terminal, which is in realyl bad shape, and removes our existing SAB using his laptop and wireless card logged in to what I believe is a limited version of SGI for independant contractors or some back door equivalent?

then he asks to check the splitters in the basement, says he does not like them, there is really only 2 splitters, one is the main one which splits off internet and rhp, then there is the splitter that provides us with 4 outlets, so i dunno why he does not like it, he says we have too many? umm thats kinda suppost to be that way, check any one elses house, its normal and its optimal.

So then he says hes gonna check the box infront of the house, and he says hes all done and walking away with my shiny brand new hd set top box in his hand and i said "wait a sec" where do you think your going with that? he says we dont need it cus he replaced it already, I said its our property since we purchased it. he says its still under warranty and its just as good. I said that i have a sertain amount of time with the store to return it for my money back and want to return the same one back to them, not some used /scratched to crap one. he was hesitant, but finally did it and used his computer to remove /re-add the serial numbers

and he left in a hurry. Rule of thumb here, keep an eye on these independant contractors. They are very sneaky, im sure he wanted for a long time to swap out that box with an unsuspecting customer.

we have a month to return the set top box, which is indiated on our receipt. so he is giving me a different one which te store may not want to accept back as a return because the serial numbers do not correspond on the receipts do u understand? do u think i did the rite thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-11-01, 04:04 PM   #2
JamesK
Veteran

He had no right to remove your own property. Imagine taking your car into the dealer for warranty repair and they give you a beat up loaner in its place. Even if it had been a rental, I don't think I'd want receive one that's been bouncing around in the truck.
Old 2009-11-01, 05:29 PM   #3
JamesK
Veteran

I don't have a problem with a used PVR as a replacement for a rental, so long as it's in good shape. After all, what are they to do with the ones that have been repaired, returned etc.? They can't sell them as new.
Old 2009-11-01, 11:04 PM   #4
metalhawk

That's an attempted theft, nothing else. There's no way in hell that the tech didn't know exactly what he was doing. It needs to be reported.
Old 2009-11-02, 07:26 AM   #5
RandyC

Paolo, thanks for letting me know. I can see that happening after reading a number of posts on this forum of problems that people have with private sub-contractors working for Rogers. It is clear that Rogers provides little to no oversight over their sub-contractors and when problems arise, it isn't Rogers or the sub-contractors problem it is your problem. I don't care who you are, if you come into my house, I'm watching you like a hawk.
Old 2009-11-02, 08:15 AM   #6
Paolo
Veteran

buddy its my problem now? I watched the guy like a hawk. He even kept one of the terminators and remember, hes the guy that said he doesn't like the splitter system used to feed my cable tv outlets, he DOESNT LIEK THEM? theyre proper. what kind of tech is he then? obviously the standard/average consumer will not know how a properly wired system looks, fortunately I DO. and this guy is a tech and is telling me its wrong? lol wow. i wonder what he would have done to fix it?
Old 2009-11-02, 10:15 AM   #7
JamesK
Veteran

I have often wondered about those "techs". They seem to like replacing splitters, even ones that have been recently replaced by the previous tech. One also tried telling me that the cable running from the living room to my computer room was likely bad, as it was about 10 years old (installed by Rogers). He couldn't explain why that one would be bad and yet the 16 YO one down to the utility room was OK (installed by MacLean Hunter). Turns out the problem was outside in the cable feeding the building from the cable along the street. I have over 37 years experience working in the telecommunications & computer fields, mostly as a tech, so that sort of nonsense doesn't go far with me.
Old 2009-11-02, 03:40 PM   #8
jumpy27
Veteran

Did you get your caller ID working on the HD box?
Old 2009-11-02, 04:32 PM   #9
Paolo
Veteran

no no1 knows why
Old 2009-11-03, 02:33 AM   #10
andrew.r

Rogers is responsible for the "work" done by their sub-contractors, they tend to identify themselves as Rogers employees anyways. I don't see how Rogers can say "Sorry bud that was a sub-contractor and we are not responsible for what you claim he did ...".

If you suspect there was impropriety involved, it is your responsibility to inform Rogers and to try to get it properly resolved.
Old 2009-11-03, 08:04 AM   #11
Paolo
Veteran

thats what I DID andrew.r and I also at the same time am making awareness of it on this form. people dont always know what theyre intitled to, so if they read this, they could say, oh wait, this happened to me too, what do I do about it. I am helping this world, one person at a time. got it?
Old 2009-11-03, 08:51 AM   #12
mr weather
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.r View Post
It is really not important and even bad form to insinuate what is the primary language of the tech that attended (note: nationality) ...
I agree to a certain extent. If you as a tech can't effectively communicate (in any language) to the customer what the issue is and what you're doing to address it, that can be a real problem. It leads to misunderstanding and a dissatisfied customer.
Old 2009-11-03, 08:58 AM   #13
rfielder
Veteran

Paolo - are you saying you have complained to Rogers?

What was their latest response?
Old 2009-11-04, 06:49 AM   #14
RandyC

In identifying that this needs to be replaced and that needs to be replaced sounds like they're doing the same thing that auto shops do. Get you to agree with a lot of unnecessary work to drive up the bill, but in this case I expect that Rogers pays their bill.
Old 2009-11-04, 01:30 PM   #15
Paolo
Veteran

or he could be collecting old set top boxes, swapping them out with his customers and keeping the new ones, and selling them later on for a profit.

no body would wanna buy a used old scratched to hell stb, but a nice new one, maybe..

Tags
independant contractor, replacement, rogers, scam, set top box