Best DIY Antenna For Cambridge & Kitchener, ON? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > Antenna Research & Development

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-11-01, 12:26 AM   #76
nikiml

Hi bece13,

Since my GH10n is still not ready I thought that may be it is a good idea to investigate what can be achieved by adding 2,3,4 and 5 narod reflectors using the GH8n , and hopefully the results can then be translated to GH10n as well.

So if you like the task here is what you have to do.
Download and install Python 2.7.

Download and install my optimization scripts.

if you have 4nec2 installed add the 4nec2\exe folder to your path
if not download those nec engines unzip them to a folder and add that folder to your path.

This completes the setup of the environment.

About the task - I have place a file on my web site which you have to download and extract.
It will have sub folders n2,n3,n4 and n5 each corresponding to the number of reflectors.

Each sub folder contains two batch files: short.bat and long.bat
the short.bat runs an optimization for the VHF-hi range disregarding the effect the narod reflectors may have on the UHF range.
The long.bat optimizes for VHF-hi but trying to minimize the effect on UHF.

the short ones are suitable for the Pentium machine while the long ones are more for the laptop...

in any case I thins you should run them in the the order n3,n2,n5,n4.
and before running a bat file you should edit it and change the python path to match your installation.

both short and long.bat generate log files: short.log and long.log

I think you should send me the one you are working on one a day...

I hope it does not sound to complicated
you could also email me with any questions.
nikiml is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-11-03, 10:20 AM   #77
nikiml

Quote:
Originally Posted by bece13 View Post
I'm about to build an antenna that will be placed on the chimney. I tried the m4 and the SBGH antennas - crappy builds made out of 14 gauge electrical cable just to see if I can get anything. Pleasantly surprised that I got 2 HD channels, I decided to buy the CM7777. With the pre-amp I got 5-6 HD channels. So I decided to build a more professional antenna, but I have problems deciding which one. Here is my TVFool link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ef34625cdf8833

bece13
One other thing to note is that with the number increase of the reflector rods the horizontal pattern becomes narrower, so the 66 deg spread that you have will be difficult to cover...
Old 2011-02-19, 02:36 PM   #78
atta786
Rookie

Default Right GH Antenna for me?

I am in Cambridge, Ontario, and here is my TV fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b9c9b71542fb92

My main objective is to get most of the digital/hd channels from Toronto (50miles) and Buffalo channels (80 miles). Also the antenna I make should be good for future digital change. Both directions are about 50 degrees apart.

I am hoping to build one SBGH you have described here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=95898 and place it around 12 ft above ground in my backyard.

I currently have this commercial antenna: http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...86/antenna.jpg

at around 10 ft height with CM7777 amp pointing at 80 degree from true north and I am getting these Toronto channels 5.1, 9.1, 11.1, 25.1, 36.1, and 57.1 plus 11.1 from Hamilton at 30 miles. No channel from Buffalo. This antenna is 32" x 19" and length of rod to which element is attached is 25". To start, I want to replace the element of this antenna with the element of SBGH (by making it smaller to fit), would this help? your help and opinion/suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

atta

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-02-19 at 03:15 PM.
atta786 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-19, 03:16 PM   #79
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

atta786 I've merged your post into this existing GH thread for your area so please read through it for great info.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-19, 04:07 PM   #80
nikiml

It seems that with both buffalo and toronto signals beeng so week you will need dedicated antennas for both. Anf for buffalo you need better antenna and raised from the roof...
Rescaling the GH element for your reflector will not work.
You'll need to build to specifications.
Old 2011-02-19, 05:02 PM   #81
atta786
Rookie

nikiml thanks. So which antenna do you suggest is good for my situation to pull in Buffalo? With the current antenna I had pulled in most of the Toronto channels and few from Buffallo in November at about six ft height and without CM7777, but it was for just few days. After that I raised the antenna little up at different location got the CM7777 but never got those channels again.
atta786 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-02-19, 05:23 PM   #82
nikiml

well, I played with your tvfool and at 30ft above ground the channels you seem to have a shot at are RF 32,38,39 and 43 - somewhat narrow range. Therefore some custom antenna for this range will probably be the best.
Old 2011-02-19, 05:28 PM   #83
nikiml

The j3d's XGH seems to match your reqs and there is another shorter xgh posted here on the forums from j3d himself.
Old 2014-02-20, 02:45 PM   #84
Frankzappa

I've built an SBGH "Top Hat" model which has Hi VHF capability but channel 7 isn't likely in it's range.

Are there specific home build for decent vhf? I don't have a lot of depth to work with, the building doesn't want people putting out things that hang way past the balcony railing.

I get Peterborough with my antenna pointing to Buffalo, CKVP is a frequent night visitor, but if there is a hint of tropo, ie if I'm getting WNYO I'll get CKVP.

I also got a very messy analogue on channel 8, no clue what it was, it disappeared after a minute or 2, my guess is cknx Wingham.
Frankzappa is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-03-01, 07:54 PM   #85
Frankzappa

Cool Kitchener, ON: DIY Antenna experiences

Today I built the SH289 antenna using 1/4" copper tubing. I already have a SBGH top hat Narod model so I was able to compare.

The Stealth Hawk is a very nice compact design but it underperformed in comparison to the SBGH by a long shot.

I am 175-180 feet above ground level and have a largely unobstructed view, East, South and Southwest for as far as the eye can see.

Channels that my SBGH got today that the Stealth Hawk couldn't are the following:

WGRZ Buffalo, a 2 edge station 107 miles away
WNED Buffalo, a 2 edge station 81 miles away
WIVB Buffalo, a 2 edge station 106 miles away
WUTV Buffalo, a 2 edge station 81 miles away
CFTO Toronto, a 1 edge station 55 miles away
WQLN Erie, a 2 edge station 97 miles away
WFXP Erie, a 2 edge station 97 miles away
CITY Woodstock an LOS station 31 miles away

What impressed me is the Steal hawk is so small and easy to build AND it outperformed my SBGH on WKBW, a 2 edge station 107 miles away.

I did try various angles on the feet, 70░ worked best for WKBW.

All in all it was a fun trial, I will definitely play around with the other designs, my goal was to get WBBZ Buffalo, it's rf 7, a 2 edge 106 mile away station that my SBGH only pulls during tropo.

If any antenna modellers know a great RF 7 antenna design please give me a shout and thanks OTA Canuck and everyone else for all the effort.

EDIT: I should have added, neither antenna's have a Pre-amp, both used the same balun and here is my TV Fool report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94bdf988ca9a

Last edited by Frankzappa; 2014-03-01 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 2014-03-01, 10:37 PM   #86
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
know a great RF 7 antenna design
I would try a channel 7 cut yagi, but be prepared for boom lengths over 12 ft for the gain.

Quote:
I am 175-180 feet above ground level and have a largely unobstructed view
How many feet of coax are you running ? It sounds like you definitely need a preamp.
Old 2014-03-01, 11:05 PM   #87
nikiml

which GH model have you built?
Old 2014-03-02, 01:15 AM   #88
Frankzappa

My cable length is about 14', the SBGH version I built is the unclesam one here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...121956&page=59

I'm unable to go beyond a boom length of about 50", too much hanging over the balcony railing = a target for idiots above me + my lease (no overhanging items, but they are lenient with sat dishes etc).

Other members have mentioned a mast mounted pre-amp won't turn a 5%/marginal signal strength signal into a viewable signal, I did try a cheap radioshack mast mounted one and it really attenuated my reception.

I think I might be pushing the envelope for reception but this has been a heck of a lot of fun and a fantastic learning experience. Had I accepted the tvfool signal analysis as gospel I wouldn't have WFXP, WQLN, WUTV and WGRZ as regular 24/7 channels.

My plan was to build a DBGH but it would have to hang completely over the balcony so that's a no go, regardless of how light weight it is.

I' m pretty happy so far, RF13 which is only 10 miles away was unreceivable with my Kross GY-TVA 003 due to concrete walls/obstructions . I face south/southeast but it's now 24/7 with varying signal strength and no dropouts . I'd love to get rf7 & rf12, WBBZ & WICU Erie which Tvfool says I should get way before WFXP. they always show up on a scan but show "poor signal quality" on my Panasonic 42".

I know they aren't tropos, Ion Batavia and WNYO only scan/lock when there is a hint of tropo (along with CKVP) but I get them way more often than WBBZ or WICU.

Anyways, thanks for all the info and any help will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. WNYO locks on a scan 8/10 times vs WICU only during tropo, I'm basing this on zero tropo days during the winter
Old 2014-03-02, 10:23 AM   #89
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
Other members have mentioned a mast mounted pre-amp won't turn a 5%/marginal signal strength signal into a viewable signal, I did try a cheap radioshack mast mounted one and it really attenuated my reception.
Yep, those preamps are mostly overpriced junk. For 14 ft of coax, you don't need a preamp. I originally thought you were using 100+ ft of coax, heh.

Quote:
I'm unable to go beyond a boom length of about 50",
A quick K7MEM calculation shows you could build a 5 element channel 7 yagi in that length for 7.842 dbd (9.99 dbi). You could stack 2 for an additional 2.5 dbi in gain if you have either 65.4" horizontal or 58.7" of vertical space that's not near metal.

Quote:
the SBGH version I built is the unclesam one here:
That's the GH10n3, you should be getting about 9.87 dbi on it at channel 7 for comparison. Have you tried tilting it at various angles ?
Old 2014-03-02, 02:53 PM   #90
nikiml

GH link you posted actually shows half of DBGH8n3 which is not symmetrical and should not be used by itself but only paired with its other half???

Tags
antenna, reception

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.