Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc - Page 55 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2012-03-17, 06:53 PM   #811
j0dest3r
Veteran

I can't speak for now, but less than 6mo. ago it the $10.00 double play discount was available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-17, 07:09 PM   #812
gzink

This should be a shaw, shaw direct, global rant! I now have shaw cable and shaw direct. Shaw Direct with 630's has given me fits with pixellation. I determined that it can happen any time but is very common and frequent on Shaw Direct, Global Vancouver, especially during simsubbing. So today I recorded golf nbc on cable, sat, global, nbc.

Turned out global sat golf was OK.
Nbc cable east, the sound was very poor. Simsub if I remember correctly.
Nbc cable west was pretty well perfect.
Global cable carrying the nbc feed with both logos was jumping at times every few seconds. Frames were missed. I believe the same garbage is what sometimes causes the sat 630's pixellation. Conclusion...the shaw/global family are their own worst enemy and really can't get there act together(to put it politely).
Old 2012-03-18, 04:37 PM   #813
gzink

I would edit the above if I could but...

Looks like the 2 tuner sets, cable or sat are affected by a Global BC feed. With the cable on Global Okanagan getting a feed from Vancouver for golf, the pic is skipping frames. On satellite the standard def feed from Global BC is pixellating on the 630(not on the 1 tuner 600).

The HD simsubbing on satellite is coming from the East(Global HD logo) and is fine.

My analysis(from a retired system analyst type, is that the Global BC feed is lacking or different than the other feeds and the "switching" or whatever difference in the 2 tuner boards on both the 3400(cable) and 630(sat) are getting screwed up with this feed. All other channels of the same golf are OK.
Obviously the 630 and 3400 don't use the same house RG6 runs so that is not the problem. Obviously the problem occurring on the cable side eliminates "outside interference" which was the conclusion of the satellite tech, who wanted to move the dish to the other side of the house(more holes!).

Anyway if Shaw or Shaw Direct or Global are reading any of this, you should check what is different from Global BC that is affecting your 2 tuner sets!!!!

Personally I will quit watching Global BC and any Global BC simsubbing and I'll probably be happy but your advertisers might not be or I will watch on the 1 tuner 600.
Old 2012-03-27, 11:52 PM   #814
gzink

Tried to activate another cable pvr. 'wait time 2 hours, please hold, a representative will be with you shortly.'.
Old 2012-03-27, 11:57 PM   #815
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

^ did you look at this to activate equipment? https://activations.shaw.ca/
Old 2012-03-28, 12:09 AM   #816
candyapplered

This is a communication company !!!
Old 2012-03-28, 03:21 AM   #817
gzink

First question stopped me there. I did not purchase this one direct from Shaw or from a dealer. It's for very occasional use and was from a private seller.
Anyway, called later and after a little over .5 hours got it done.

The point I tried to make was that the announcement was 2 hour wait and then ' with you shortly' was said.....You know that was a nice link you provided but your system is what was ridiculous ...2 hours...shortly...within a few seconds of each other. What part don't you get! That's the point and if no one at Shaw understands then it's .......

Your customer calling system needs a few conditional statements added ie. If statement wait time is > 20 minutes then offer callback or recommend customer call back, else say ' will be with you shortly' .
Anyway all's well that ends well.
Old 2012-03-30, 03:12 AM   #818
ssbtech

I realize it's par for the course for service providers to make their websites as unfriendly as possible, but why doesn't Shaw even bother to list the HD Plus package online?
Old 2012-03-30, 06:59 AM   #819
worldboy79

Same reason they no longer list Basic Cable or Classic cable I suppose. Though they still offer HD plus (if you had an older plan) they choose to market Personal TV, Best of HD, etc. Sort of like two years ago they really didn't market just basic cable on their website but always the complete package including HD Plus.

By the way I currently have Basic Digital cable and HD Plus. I asked if, in theory, I could switch Basic Digital Cable to the new Personal TV and but still keep HD Plus. The answer is no. I would have to elect Best of HD to go with Personal TV.

My thinking was to save money because I thought Personal tv was something like $27. Didn't realize it had gone up to $35 so little savings anyway.
Old 2012-03-30, 08:20 AM   #820
Legend4Eva

Shaw EXO is terrible. Nothing but a price increase from what I see and once again Shaw is refusing to add channels people want. Its like they dont have anyone working there who actually knows what new channels are out there. They waste space by adding ABC Spark yet drop Dusk, HDnet among others yet wont add FX Canada, Global Reality or Hollywood Suite. They are lucky here in N Ont where we only have overpriced Bell garbage. Im waiting for Vianet tv here or someone else to come in here yet Shaw wouldnt care if they lost every sub here because they would just overcharge their customers more to make up the difference.
Old 2012-03-30, 08:23 AM   #821
Legend4Eva

Its funny 2 to 3 years ago you used to be able to get a decent tv pkg, fast internet for 100 dollars + tax. You could then add phone for like 20 bucks. Now you have to pay 150 dollars plus the great HST to get anything close to that
Old 2012-03-30, 10:50 AM   #822
ShawnB

maybe if they ever complete the DNU then we can get more HD but i won't hold my breath on them being any good. More likely be the crappy channels that no one wants but that's crappy shaw for you.

God tv in canada sucks
Old 2012-03-31, 02:17 PM   #823
v8rumble
Rookie

What is with the constant prices increases? I was (and still) on Basic Cable and HD Plus with BB50 which is $127. I was going to switch to the personal tv with $15 home phone because Best of HD was $20. My bill would have been $120 but I missed that boat. It went to $136 but I didn't switch because I got free home Phone in December for 3 months. That's over now and the Personal TV internet phone bundle is now $149.90. What is going on at Shaw? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to cancel the Phone.

edit: ok looks like personal tv went up ten dollars and BB50 is now 65 bundled. This is silly.

Last edited by v8rumble; 2012-03-31 at 02:42 PM.
Old 2012-03-31, 04:07 PM   #824
candyapplered

I agree 100% with LEGEND4EVA SHAW is gouging it's customers.THEY add five new HD CHANNEL'S.change YOUR tv packages and add channels that are crap charge you twice as much and EXO! YOU GO ? OUT THE DOOR! WE need more competition in cable.ONLY three major companies in Canada and the customer get stiffed.Shaw wouldnt care if they lost every sub here because they would just overcharge their customers more to make up the difference.
Old 2012-03-31, 08:39 PM   #825
Ppaatt

I bought a new digital box so I could get Sportsnet World HD, hooked it up and it won't activate. Old Pace box worked perfectly fine in that location, but the new Motorola won't get a signal. So now, I have to wait for a service call Tuesday. It's Saturday now. Luckily for me, I never expect anything with Shaw to work right the first time.