Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc - Page 54 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2012-03-15, 12:32 PM   #796
Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0dest3r View Post
The whole industry in Canada needs a real shakeup. Customers need to be back in the driver's seat again. Switching to OTA and subscribing to OTT internet services can be real liberating!

Give Shaw an honest change to make it right (I have had success in the past with their helpful folks on Twitter @shawhelp I think) otherwise voting with your wallet is your only recourse.
Except most Canadian cities are out of range of picking up US channels. I'm in BC and we can't really pick up more then a few Canadian channels.

I think that's why Cable has such a chokehold in Canada. Unless you live in Southern Ontario, there's not really alot of OTA channels in Canada. Not like in the US, where you seem to be able to get 20 or 30 OTA channels in major cities.
Zod is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-15, 03:20 PM   #797
hoho
Rookie

Default Where should i file complain for money that Shaw kept on forgetting to send me?

I stopped Shaw services December last year. Returned all my equipments.

Shaw charged me for those equipments. I called and they said they’ll send me check.

Never did received the check even though they said they’ve sent out.

Can I file complaint to Competition Bureau?
hoho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-15, 03:26 PM   #798

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Have you contacted Shaw regarding the "missing" cheque?
In writing? Via Phone? Vie e-mail?
Have you moved?
When did they send it?
Did you check to make sure they have your correct name, address, etc.
Have you asked them to resend it?
Did you get a reference number with Shaw regarding your case?
Old 2012-03-16, 05:48 PM   #799
BajaTango

Quote:
Jodester, the $5 discount was a scam from day one, and AFAIK has now been removed from all bills.
Just a note, got my latest bill yesterday (Mar.15/12) and it STILL shows the Purchased Modem Discount, so at least some of us are still having it show up on our bills.
BajaTango is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-16, 05:51 PM   #800
DSgamby
Veteran

As I stated in the $5 Purchased Modem Discount thread. I still get it too.
DSgamby is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-16, 05:59 PM   #801
BajaTango

It's annoying for sure, and ironic as well, being that I never purchased this modem. Or maybe that's the case with others also.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:06 PM   #802
DSgamby
Veteran

I purchased the modem.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:10 PM   #803
BajaTango

Then you guys are really getting #%$@ over with the imaginary discount.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:16 PM   #804
DSgamby
Veteran

How is it a imaginary discount? I get 5 bucks off every month. So unless others who don't get the discount. Pay more than 5 bucks less than me for the same stuff then how are we getting screwed over?
Old 2012-03-16, 07:20 PM   #805
BajaTango

If five dollars are added to the price, and then five dollars are subtracted in the discount, then everyone is paying the same price. That's the way it was in my case, I would compare my price to the price on Shaw's site, and it just wound up being five dollars higher than the regular price and the discount would bring it down to what everyone else was paying.
Old 2012-03-16, 07:43 PM   #806
j0dest3r
Veteran

Yeah, that is what was explained to me by two Shaw CSRs. Those still showing the discount, is it 5 bucks off of $62.00?
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-16, 08:32 PM   #807
BajaTango

In my case, the extra five is buried in the Digital Classic & High-Speed for 113.95, then discounted separately. At the time when Digital Classic first came out, my rate was always five dollars higher than what showed on the website, then the discount brought it down to the site price.
Old 2012-03-16, 08:46 PM   #808
DSgamby
Veteran

From the Shaw $5 Purchased Modem Discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxo View Post
I worked at Shaw for 6 years and I still got confused with the billing system. My understanding of the history of the $5 modem discount is as follows

1. Back when Shaw sold modems customers had the choice to buy one and receive a $5 discount. Customers who "rented" their modem didn't get this.

2. Shaw stopped selling modems. People who did purchase still got the $5 purchase discount.

3. Shaw thought it was not fair (and caused confusion) that people weren't paying the same price for internet. Shaw created a discount code for people who didn't buy the modem so they would be paying the same price as the people who did.

4. This in itself caused confusion for customers. In conjunction with this the internet when bundled with TV it showed as a different price as the bundle discount was included in the price. The solution to this was to separate the Internet from TV and standardize the price.

5. This is when they got rid of the modem discount. The $5 modem discount that virtually everyone was getting in some way (explicitly or not). Internet was then priced the same for everyone (the $5 discount
included into the price) and they introduced the bundle discounts (double play $10, triple play $20).

Then Shaw decided to add the Shaw Plan Personalizer to the mix which adds a whole new dimension to billing challenges but that is for another thread.

As with most changes to packages on the Shaw System they eventually get around to updating them. This does take a long time though. All the changes caused errors in billing and even people getting additional discounts that weren't intended. I hope this post helps people understand this discount.

Cheers,
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...3&postcount=37
Old 2012-03-16, 10:16 PM   #809
BajaTango

Interesting, thanks for that.

Wonder if the $10 double play discount still applies, being that you can't price a bundle on the site anymore without including phone.
Old 2012-03-17, 12:11 AM   #810
bigdoubledee

Well, its adios Shaw, just got MTS installed today, cheaper and more HD channels, plus I get a gateway, with Shaw it was no gateway available, no VOD, no internet, no phone, no nuthin here, and probably 10 or more HD channels not available here compared to other markets,yet paying the same price.
bigdoubledee is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.