ON - Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton - OTA - Page 64 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Reception Results

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-09-14, 02:00 PM   #946
firsttimer
Rookie

Default to digital frank

followed your instructions. without my pre amp the best i got was 6 stations all out of toronto and lost all my buffalo stations no matter where i aimed it. with the uhf pre amp i used to get 26 stations it was rated at a 28db gain 2.0 loss. switched to a uhf vhf pre amp with a 15db gain on both vhf and uhf and a 2.8db loss and now only get at best 22 stations having lost fox and wkbw and wned and chch. would buying a cm7777 pre-amp or winegard 8275 be a helpful thing to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-09-15, 03:16 PM   #947
firsttimer
Rookie

Default pre amps

just wondering if anyone out there has had a chance to try the winegard 8275 and if it is better than the cm7777 pre amp. the specs indicate that it has a higher vhf and uhf gain.
Old 2011-09-16, 04:14 PM   #948
bunk3m
Rookie

Question Noob advice request

Hi!

I've been reading the forums for some time and have to admit that I'm getting more confused. I'm here because I've had enough of the local cable company. Three repair visits in the last year, new cables run, $$ etc.etc.

We live in Oakville, south east of Dundas & Trafalgar.

Last weekend (Sept 10, 2011) I connected a set of old rabbit ears to the TV on the main floor to see what channels I might get. Here is the channel list. I don't know the strength as I couldn't figure out how to check that so I put in a qualitative of 1 to 5. 5 being excellent.

4.1 WIVB-HD (0-1)
5.1 CBLT-DT (5)
7.1 WKBK (3)
9.1 CFTO (5)
11.1 CHCH (3-4)
19.1 TVO (4)
23.1 WNLO (4)
25.1 CBLFT-D (2)
41.1 CIII-HD (2)

In general I was pleased even though some channels aren't too great.

What we would like is to get the US channels from Buffalo. In particular the main 3 US (CBS/ABC/NBC) and perhaps CBC/CTV/Global/TVO here.

My TVFool info is: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f3bfdeee3fdf

I realize the following questions might be a really stupid but I'm getting more lost as I read the forums, read the FAQs, antenna test, interesting diagrams and try to figure out what antenna etc. I should try. I feel like I've got vapour lock.

So if you don't mind, my initial questions are:

Am I likely to need the two antenna solution or can I get by with one? (I pray I can get by with one because the thread about setting up and tuning 2 really got confusing.)

Do I need to put an antenna on the roof or should I be able to get by with one in the attic? What should I consider in this regard.

Thanks very much.
Old 2011-09-17, 02:40 PM   #949
orbot

I'm between guelph and milton and I get CTV at 100%/100% from Toronto. It's the strongest station for me. But, I still can't see CTV2, and I never have. Is that normal? I also get a very strong signal from CHCH in Hamilton.
Old 2011-09-17, 09:16 PM   #950
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
At the moment, CTV Too in this area is just CKVR in Barrie. If you couldn't get it before, you won't now either. However, they are supposed to be getting a couple of repeaters soon, one in Hamilton and the other in Font Hill IIRC. Perhaps then you'll be able to receive it.
Old 2011-09-18, 10:22 AM   #951
pjdavison

I'm in your area. I have two Channel Master UHF antennas and one $7 set of rabbit ears in the attic. I'm reliably getting ABC CBS NBC FOX and the CW networks from Buffalo and all the CN tower based Canadian stations. The rabbit ears were required to pull in CFTO.

I feed the three into a splitter in the attic and then split the feed down to two TVs. It works. CHCH is a bit inconsistent. No CKVR.
Old 2011-09-20, 09:23 AM   #952
bunk3m
Rookie

pjdavision, where are you located?
Old 2011-09-21, 07:19 PM   #953
filper
Veteran

Tom.F.1 and his brother installed a dual CM4221HD array with a drop amp last Sunday.

Original scan was 40 channels including Rochester NY 106 miles away.

Thanks guys for going the extra mile for me.
Old 2011-09-22, 05:42 PM   #954
filper
Veteran

Here is a snap of the array.
Old 2011-09-26, 11:49 AM   #955
micpoets
Rookie

Default New installation

Hi All New to the forum.

I just bought a CM 4228HD with a 10ft mast and brackets to attach it to the West South corner of my house or as close to the peak as posibble. My cable run will be approximately 125ft (RG6) and I plan on going directly to Panisonic Plasma down stairs for now. I was thinking about getting the CM rotor but they are out of stock till November. I live at Upper Middle and Appleby and here are my TV Fools results.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5cbc73fce2f

Questions
1. From what I see in the forum would it be better to get a second antenna such as the CM4221HD and point it at the CN tower and point my CM4228HD south to Buffalo to get all the CDN and US channels and scrap the rotor?

2. If I have just the one antenna with CM rotor do I have to scan every time I move the rotor?

filper I like you picture, nice set up!

Thanks
Damien
Old 2011-09-26, 04:48 PM   #956
parity123

How did it go? I live at 4th Line and Dundas and I get by with 1 CM4221HD attic install with a CM7777 Preamp.

I receive all channels consistently now with the Canadian digital cutover (I only had issues with City) as well as getting Ion from Batavia, NY during late spring to mid fall.
Old 2011-09-26, 05:06 PM   #957
filper
Veteran

Hi micpoets,

Thanks for the vote. I can't tell what would be best for you, but a rotor would have been very annoying having 4 TV's in the house (if you know what I mean).
Old 2011-09-26, 06:19 PM   #958
Jase88

Parity123, you may not be aware, but we believe there is currently a transmitter problem with City TV (also affecting OMNI 1 & 2). Check out Citytv & Rogers OMNI Post-Transition Status for details.
Old 2011-09-27, 03:17 PM   #959
parity123

Thanks. I was getting CITY fine last night. What I meant was that before digital conversion, city was the only channel I was having problems with other than ION during winter. Now after the cutover, city is reliable
Old 2011-10-04, 05:49 PM   #960
micpoets
Rookie

Default New install results

Hi All

So I finally got everything installed on the weekend. I have two antennas on a 10ft pole which is about 40 ft in the air on the South West cover of the house and it is grounded as well. CM 4228HD pointing at approximately at 140 degrees magnetic North and CM 4221HD pointing at 60 degrees magnetic North. I am using Elegato's HDHome run and I am getting 27 channels. If anyone knows how I can add a pic I will snap a shot of the antennas and a screen shot of the channel line up.

Damien

Tags
antenna, merger, signal