OTA Station Status: Toronto, Hamilton (Closed - use 2011) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Station & Network Operational Status

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2005-07-22, 10:34 AM   #1
ralph_sinclair

Default OTA Station Status: Toronto, Hamilton (Closed - use 2011)

This is a question for folks who are tuned into CBC-HD OTA in the GTA. When there is HD programming on the CBC channel, do they also broadcast an SD DTV feed of the same thing on one of the subchannels?
ralph_sinclair is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-07-22, 11:31 AM   #2
Tom.F.1
Veteran

The short answer is no. They carry the same programiming on their Analog Ch.5.
Please correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think anybody in Canada is using subchannels.
Tom.F.1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-22, 12:21 PM   #3
foxfan

Why would you want an SD subchannel of the same thing?

If CBC was to use a subchannel, I would like it if they would put CBC Newsworld on.
foxfan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-22, 12:31 PM   #4
ralph_sinclair

I have an SVGA projector and it would be a lot easier for me to get an SD signal to it via PC, than to downsample the signal on the fly.
ralph_sinclair is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-22, 12:33 PM   #5
jeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan
Why would you want an SD subchannel of the same thing?

If CBC was to use a subchannel, I would like it if they would put CBC Newsworld on.
That would be a good idea. It's too bad CITY doesn't do that with Pulse24. I guess these channels need the cable revenue to survive.
jeneral is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-22, 02:28 PM   #6
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

I think the answer to your needs might be with a separate ATSC tuner. My LG LST 4200A outputs on all the usual types from DVI to RF, so I can watch a program in HD and simultaneously run S-Video to my DVR if I like. I'm not sure how this would work with a PC tuner card unless it also has lots of outputs.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-22, 03:03 PM   #7
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_sinclair
This is a question for folks who are tuned into CBC-HD OTA in the GTA. When there is HD programming on the CBC channel, do they also broadcast an SD DTV feed of the same thing on one of the subchannels?
CBC does not multicast. It's a quality issue. Each additional signal slices the available bandwidth that much thinner.
Old 2005-07-22, 08:01 PM   #8
Daniel Tonks

Wow, a station that actually cares about eeking out the absolute best HDTV image quality... now that's rare!
Daniel Tonks is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-24, 06:31 PM   #9
robcreaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
CBC does not multicast. It's a quality issue. Each additional signal slices the available bandwidth that much thinner.
Marc.. this can't be the reason. The ATSC was developed specifically with multicasting in mind. Your engineering guys probably participated in some of the development of the specification. Your description of "signal" is also a little misleading. You are licenced to transmit bits on CH 20. One additional low bit stream dedicated to NW isn't going to impact the HD feed (most of the time)

Does your brand new encoder support adaptive rate encoding?

Are you already reserving some of the bitstream for other uses in the future? (descriptive video, SAP..)

Does your newsworld license from the CRTC exclude distributing newsworld OTA?

Your <6 year old audience would never notice the reduction in resolution on their total SD morning shows that run from 7 am till ??? Meanwhile you manage to run an insane total of 1 hour of morning news (from news world) on the HD network at 6am??? RC is a bit better with two hours 7-9am.

During the 2-3 hours of HD thats being delivered/week kill the NW feed. Its just a digital feed to the encoder right?

BTW Marc I really enjoy having you on line. I'm just suspecting there may be other issues beyond picture quality keeping NW, CP24 & NewsNET out of the respective OTA ATSC feeds of their parent networks.
robcreaser is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-24, 11:03 PM   #10
obrienaj

Default CBC DTV received in SW NY

I picked up a cheap OTA HDTC tuner from my local Wal-Mart this week (US$87) and was pleasantly suprised to get good reception of CBC in digital with my UHF Yagi just pointing out of a bedroom window. I am 79 crow-flying miles from the CN tower.

That was yesterday, today...no sign of CBC so perhaps yesterday was a day for enhanced signal on UHF. I assume that CBC DT is full time, do they ever plan to increase their power ?

Andy
obrienaj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-24, 11:11 PM   #11
Yaamon
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230

What brand of HD tuner was that at Walmart and that price is cheap.

CBC is full time not sure about when and if they will increase the power.
Old 2005-07-25, 12:39 AM   #12
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrienaj
...was pleasantly suprised to get good reception of CBC in digital with my UHF Yagi just pointing out of a bedroom window. I am 79 crow-flying miles from the CN tower.
What is your location? You probably just picked up some tropospheric skip due to the hot weather and the lake.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-25, 01:39 AM   #13
HDTV101
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcreaser
One additional low bit stream dedicated to NW isn't going to impact the HD feed (most of the time) .
I've done a simultaneous comparison of the PBS HD channels out of Rochester NY., Erie PA., and Buffalo NY. Since I can pick them all up at the same time.. the HD channels on all of them run the exact same program from the PBS HD national feed.

Rochester WXXI runs with the most multicasting of 1 HD channel, 3 SD channels, and 1 radio channel.

Buffalo WNED runs one HD channel, and 2 SD channels.

Erie WQLN runs just the one HD channel.

Guess which one has the best and sharpest looking picture? Yes WQLN !
Rochester WXXI has the worst looking picture in HD. It's horrible looking, very soft, when you compare it up against WQLN.

Last edited by HDTV101; 2005-07-25 at 01:42 AM.
HDTV101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-07-25, 08:50 AM   #14
obrienaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaamon
What brand of HD tuner was that at Walmart and that price is cheap.

CBC is full time not sure about when and if they will increase the power.

A US Digital 2010, 50% off clearance sale.
Old 2005-07-25, 08:54 AM   #15
obrienaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
What is your location? You probably just picked up some tropospheric skip due to the hot weather and the lake.
I am due south of Toronto by 79 miles, mostly lake path. Yes, I suspect some ducting although a scan of non-digital UHF signals at that time did not suggest signifiicantly enchanced propagation.

I see the tropo forecast for tomorrow is quite good in my region, so will give it another go.
Closed Thread

Tags
cbc, reception

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.