New cuts coming to CBC: Friends CB - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-05-29, 11:35 PM   #16
cmurray

We Canadians are a schizophrenic lot. We protest how different we are from Americans but slavishly worship their sports teams, television shows and personalities. We think of our sports, culture and programming as unworthy but are thrilled when a Canadian celebrity, program or sports team makes it in the US. It's as if we have to seek approval from America before we can feel worthy. Do we have a giant inferiority complex or can we proudly support our own identity?

While cuts are coming to CBC (in contrast to bailouts for everyone else), the truth is that all private and public Canadian television networks are subsidized by the taxpayer to some extent. One can only guess the value and effect of the government's investments.
Private TV networks have the best of both worlds in Canada. They make tons of money in good times and are subsidized at all times all in the name of Canadian content. Even that isn't enough for them.

The Harper government wants to help out its friends and supporters in the private media industry. The plan: extinguish the CBC by appointing a non-broadcaster to the to job and reducing its budget by degrees. Eventually, the lower quality of programming and the increase in commercial content will make it indistinguishable from a private broadcaster. At this point (we're nearly there) the public will find little use for the CBC and support will dwindle.

The CBC was established by the Tories and it looks as if it will be extinguished by them as well - through the back door.
cmurray is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-05-29, 11:48 PM   #17
peano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post

I happen to be someone who actually admires the CBC and wishes they could do more, not less, and that the public would demand more, not less.
Me too. Its the only Canadian OTA station that is a must for me.
peano is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-30, 12:08 AM   #18
spensar

Outstanding GeorgeMx.
Old 2009-05-31, 04:36 PM   #19
Insomniac

Default Modernize

Shut down CBC TV (leave radio alone for now) and use the taxpayer's money that's saved to set up a HUGE bittorrent server farm that all Canadians can use. Broadcast the most popular downloads OTA for those that don't have high speed internet.
Insomniac is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-01, 01:42 PM   #20
asd

Insomniac, that's brilliant. And we can replace the wilted red maple leaf on our flag with the Jolly Roger.
asd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-01, 05:39 PM   #21
GeorgeMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
The Harper government wants to help out its friends and supporters in the private media industry. The plan: extinguish the CBC by appointing a non-broadcaster to the to job and reducing its budget by degrees...
I thought the current CBC budget problem was a result of declining advertising revenues not a cut in funding from the federal government? I recall that the feds increased funding to the CBC in the 2008 budget. Am I wrong on these points?
GeorgeMx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-01, 07:32 PM   #22
trask

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
The Harper government wants to help out its friends and supporters in the private media industry. The plan: extinguish the CBC by appointing a non-broadcaster to the to job and reducing its budget by degrees...
I thought the current CBC budget problem was a result of declining advertising revenues not a cut in funding from the federal government? I recall that the feds increased funding to the CBC in the 2008 budget. Am I wrong on these points?
No you are correct. Their shortfall is due to decreased advertising, and the fact they continue to waste so much of what they have. One example is, they bought the rights to "Jeopardy" and "Wheel of Fortune" for a huge amount of money and it's backfired. Your tax dollars at work. It's bad enough the CBC is subsidized at all, but when you consider the tab is about 1 billion dollars, and most of it is spent on executive retreats and programming nobody watches...well lets just say it's frustrating and mind boggling.
trask is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-01, 09:17 PM   #23
cmurray

Just a couple of corrections before fantasy and wishful thinking takes over.
The CBC's 2009/9 budget allocation was $1.115 million. The 2009/2010 budget allocation is $1.052 million. Using advanced mathematical techniques, some people are able to see that this is a budget reduction. After inflation, this is the equivalent of a $79 million cut. Their projected commercial revenue shortfall is in the order of $65 million. This has been a common experience to all commercial broadcasters.

The purchases of Jeopardy and Wheel were made with the misguided idea of boosting audiences before news and prime time programming. The Harper appointed bean counter in charge of the CBC thought it would help the bottom line.

If we don't want a national broadcaster, why not fold the tent and become the 51st state?
cmurray is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-02, 09:20 AM   #24
smallmj

Personally I find that the quality of CBC programming has greatly improved over the last few years. The Border, Being Erica, jPod (which should NOT have been cancelled) are all very good shows.

The trouble is that there had been so few good shows for so long that many viewers have just given up on Canadian made TV.

Mark
smallmj is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-02, 10:32 AM   #25
classicsat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd View Post
Insomniac, that's brilliant. And we can replace the wilted red maple leaf on our flag with the Jolly Roger.
There is no need to fly the Jolly Roger . A torrent system can legally be used, and "controlled" with a proper front end, and IIRC, CBC is already doing that, in a limited fashion anyways.

As for broadcasting the popular downloads later, it won't fly with advertisers. The downloads, if any, will have to be made available after they air.

Not to mention that the number of people that would have the wherewithal to actually use such a system is rather small.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-02, 11:25 AM   #26
Francois Caron
Veteran

Quote:
As for broadcasting the popular downloads later, it won't fly with advertisers. The downloads, if any, will have to be made available after they air.

Not to mention that the number of people that would have the wherewithal to actually use such a system is rather small.
These are factors I've already considered for my own channel. For now, any airtime an advertiser purchases on my channel will also include on-line airtime via live streaming and BitTorrent. I have to generate proper data on the effectiveness of on-line advertising before I can put an accurate price on it.

Even if the CBC did distribute everything on-line, it doesn't mean they know how to do it properly. When the CBC distributed last year's "Canada's Next Great Prime Minister" via BitTorrent, I was not only surprised at the incredibly poor quality of the presentation (interlaced signal, improper aspect ratio control making everyone look squished, bad frame rate), I was also surprised they didn't include any ads whatsoever. For what was a first try by a major network, this was a huge disappointment.

I reprocess the video to correct the mistakes, and added the logos of the show's sponsors at the upper-right corner of the screen to demonstrate the ad bug concept I plan to implement.

The CBC can successfully bridge the budget gap, but they have to do something they haven't done in a very, very long time. They have to innovate! The CBC radio show "Q"is already doing a great job in this domain by distributing the video recordings of their interviews on YouTube including the infamous Billy-Bob Thorton blow-out. How many hits did that one video get? And how does that compare with the average rating of a Canadian Show?

So many incredible opportunities out there, but the CBC brass simply can't see past their own anus.
Francois Caron is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-02, 05:16 PM   #27
trask

Quote:
If we don't want a national broadcaster, why not fold the tent and become the 51st state?
So the CBC is the only thing that keeps us Canadian? The CBC is a flawed and outdated system to promote Canadiana, and the reasons for keeping it alive equally so.

We know by ratings that few people actually watch the shows that are on CBC with the exception of Hockey Night in Canada and the games shows they purchased from the states.

We also know that few quality Canadian programs are produced by CBC with the billion dollars the Canadian government pumps into it every year.

So why in the world are we continuing to support a station few people watch and that produces little in the way of quality programming?

I am a Canadian who dislikes most Canadian programming. Why? Because I find it laughably inadequate when compared to most of the American programming I watch. I have no problem with people who want more Canadian programming, I just want to have the option to refuse to pay for it when I'm not watching it. I also don't want to have to pay a fee for Canadian stations that simply regurgitate American programs I can watch elsewhere.

The simple truth is, the Canadian broadcast industry is a dying entity that we continue to prop up for reasons I can't understand or explain and I'm sick of my tax dollars continuing to be dropped down the black hole.
trask is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-02, 08:27 PM   #28
Nanuuk
Veteran

So what makes the CBC a sacred cow exempt from any reductions in budget in these economic times? Private enterprises all over the country are facing reduced revenues and are laying off staff. Our governments can't bail them all out.
Nanuuk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-03, 12:33 AM   #29
Insomniac

I think you might be surprised at how many people would use bittorent. The media tanks such as the popcorn hour are making it easier.

The CBC could post all of the past episodes of The Nature of Things. I would love to see the show they did on Charles Babbage and his "computing engine" a few years ago.
All the Wayne and Shuster shows would be fun and popular.
The Littlest Hobo for the kids.
For the hockey fan, make the 1972 Canada-Russia series available.
Insomniac is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-06-03, 01:27 AM   #30
Francois Caron
Veteran

One of the biggest problem with releasing old TV shows via BitTorrent is securing all the rights. Broadcast rights, music rights, writing rights, location rights... Nobody could imagine back then how easy it would be to distribute just about anything out there.

The biggest obstacle of them all? Most of the people in control of these rights are already pretty old themselves and will most likely not understand why you want to give all the shows away without them being compensated, or more specifically not understand how the world of broadcasting has changed, and how the old standards just don't work anymore.

Even worse, WE ALREADY PAID FOR ALL OF THOSE SHOWS! Yet we don't have the right to watch them! So as far as I'm concerned, the old shows (along with many of their creators) are dead and long gone. We may never get to see them again because some executive out there will throw away the tapes after trying without success to secure all the proper rights.

The rights have become a wrong, and it's a damn shame. I could have used a lot of that material on my television channel.
Francois Caron is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
cbc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.