Bell wimax not that great - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet

Old 2009-05-31, 02:12 PM   #16
crisco
Rookie

We're about an hour and a half north of Toronto, near the shore of Lake Simcoe. Apparently the Wimax tower (which is quite close -- close enough to see) is pointing to the south, and we're to the north.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-05-31, 02:21 PM   #17
crisco
Rookie

I'm not sure about the '5 lights' thing. The modem that comes with the Wimax is really just a black box that has one light -- and it's on -- and we go from there to the wireless router and that shows just the connection lights. Things flash of course, but it's not clear when it's getting a stronger signal (and sometimes nothing flashes because not a damn thing is coming in!).

Also, we were told that because Bell and Rogers use the same tower, the problem would be the same (this from the technician who was independent of Bell) since the signal is transmitted to the south.
Old 2009-05-31, 04:09 PM   #18
Jase88

@crisco: Rogers builds their networks to precise engineering specs. for example, RF amplification can only cascade so far down a line, before a new RF node must be started.

Going closer to your home would likely have necessitated a great expense--which, for three homes, likely wasn't deemed prudent.
Old 2009-05-31, 04:10 PM   #19
Jase88

@pinza: I wonder if you had a bad modem?

AFAIK, Rogers and Bell do use the same Inukshuk network.
Old 2009-05-31, 07:11 PM   #20
jayoldschool
Veteran

Quote:
I tried the Bell Wimax and could not get a viable signal at all and I thought that was it. Well I got hold of the Rogers External Modem
Were you using the Bell outdoor modem as well? If you were using the portable, that is comparing apples to oranges...
Old 2009-05-31, 07:24 PM   #21
Pinza
Veteran

I was using a Bell Wimax outdoor modem that was a neighbors, tried it at my place and nothing. Switched to Rogers, great.

The 2 units look almost identical, large White oblong thingies.
Old 2009-06-01, 11:18 AM   #22
country mouse
Rookie

Angry Bell has no answers.

I've been with Bell wimax since 2006 as soon as it was availabe in my area.
Fantastic at first so I thought but coming off dial-up anything was better than waiting for pages to load. For over the past year it's been getting slower and slower from 100 down to 10. After just speaking to Bell I was informed that the tower is overloaded and they will be fixing the problem. There should only be 65 customers on but currantly has 158. And when will this be fixed ? They couldn't tell me. Their solution to my slower speed is to go back to dial-up. Wow what great service.
Old 2009-06-01, 11:40 AM   #23
jayoldschool
Veteran

Quote:
I was using a Bell Wimax outdoor modem that was a neighbors, tried it at my place and nothing. Switched to Rogers, great.
Hmmm, that is very strange! I have always read that they share the system. I wonder if one antenna has more gain than the other? I can't complain, I have five lights on my Bell outdoor. Wish the ping time could be improved, though...

I hope my area doesn't get over-subscribed. I don't think many know about Bell's service, to be honest. I see lots of Explortnet antennas in my area (I feel bad for them), but I don't think there is a single Bell outdoor...
Old 2009-06-01, 12:50 PM   #24
rob1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gexgeko View Post
L00k into Rogers Rocket stick.
Network Advantage: 3G - The next generation in wireless technology
3G (HSPA) is the latest evolution of GSM, the dominant world-wide standard for mobile wireless communications. This emerging protocol significantly improves the download speeds on laptops and wireless handheld devices, as well as being an enabler for PDAs including Windows Mobile. This makes the Rogers' network among the fastest in the world, two times faster than any other carrier,* and enabling a user experience that's comparable to broadband wireline services.

*Comparison based on peak download speed of up to 7.2 Mbps for HSPA network as compared to peak download speed of up to 3.1 Mbps for 1xEvdo networks. Actual speed may vary based on various factors.

Canada's Most Reliable Wireless Network
With the clearest reception and the fewest dropped calls, Rogers is Canada's most reliable network.
Canada's Fastest Mobile Network
Browse and download at speeds that are faster than any other carrier.

*Comparison based on peak download speed of up to 7.2 Mbps for HSPA network as compared to peak download speed of up to 3.1 Mbps for 1xEvdo networks. Actual speed may vary based on various factors.

I believe Bell has better coverage for the area you're in it's EVDO 3G with speeds of up to 2.4Mbps.
I've had Bell's EVDO since March of 2008. Works well (about 1.3 MPS download) Much better then Xplornet which was my main connection since Sept. 2005.

Be sure to check Roger's 3G coverage. It's great in the city (where you have a million other internet options) but is less then Bell's coverage north of Toronto.

I tried the Roger's Stick and was only able to get Edge speeds for my area - so I returned it. Rogers is expanding their 3G coverage north of TO and I was told my area "should" have it by the end of June. It's only a tower upgrade - not new towers.

If and when it's available I'll try it again....

Cheers
Old 2009-06-01, 10:14 PM   #25
crisco
Rookie

Just checked out ruralconnections.simcoe.ca which is supposed to be bringing high speed to rural Simcoe County. Bad enough that I read that it's using Bell Wimax as its base -- the map on the site shows the projected coverage area, and sure enough there's a big blank right where we live. In other words, they already know that it won't work here, but Bell had no problem selling me the system. We're in the 'shadow' zone so it's unlikely that even putting up a tall tower for the antenna would help.
Old 2009-06-02, 12:03 AM   #26
gexgeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco View Post
We have had Wimax for over a year -- it worked great for about a month. The technician who checked the outdoor antenna told us that we're getting a 'shadow' signal -- apparently the antenna points away from us -- and told us that Bell never should have sold us the system because it would probably never work well. We had removed a second phone line for our dialup, but after a lot of calls to Bell (which usually meant they sent the same guy who told us the same thing -- we were getting to be buddies!) they reinstalled our second line with no installation fee, and gave us a big credit on the Wimax account -- we really haven't paid more than the dialup cost. Of course it doesn't work worth a damn! It took me over nine minutes to register for this site!! Often we don't get on at all and have to rely on the dialup. Apparently the little portable USB thing that Bell is now promoting works well (so I've heard) but that would mean getting one for each of our two computers, and also, since our home office is way inside the house where there's very little cell signal, there's no guarantee that would work here anyway. I'd like to be able to try that USB thing, but I need it to run the wireless so both the computers can pick it up (on one account).

BTW, Rogers ran cable down our road, but stopped before the last three houses -- no idea why. They've told us that we can possilbe have it installed, if we commit to three years of Rogers TV, top end internet and telephone, or pay an additional $3000! I'm quite happy with ExpressVu and I use Yak for the best cheapest home phone, so that Rogers deal isn't happening.

Any info on the USB thing would be appreciated -- this Wimax stinks!!!
ICS or this http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/59/63/

Also look into this Officially Supported EVDO Data Devices http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2455/64/
The 3GV2 should officially support all EVDO PC cards, ExpressCards and USB modems that have ever worked on the Sprint EVDO network, EXCEPT the Sprint U680 and Franklin CDU550. The list of supported devices provided to us by Linksys includes:

•PC Cards (PCMCIA)
◦AC580, S620, PC5740, AC595, S720 and PX500
•ExpressCards (require Novatel XCA-3 pcmcia-to-expresscard adapter)
◦EX720 and 597E
•USB Modems
◦U720, AC595U, U727 and Compass 597U but not the U680 (yet)
It says U727 and thats what bells using isnt it?
Maybe Rob can add some input here? i dont have EVDO.
Old 2009-06-02, 06:49 PM   #27
crisco
Rookie

Much as I appreciate your reply, Gexgeko, I have to admit I don't understand a word of it! Can you translate for a non-techy?
Old 2009-06-03, 12:26 PM   #28
rob1

U720 USB "stick" is what I use coupled with a Kyocera EVDO wireless router.

Cheers
Old 2009-06-03, 06:56 PM   #29
gexgeko

google "how to internet connection share" Crisco.

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enables a Windows computer to share its Internet connection with computers on local area networks. It's been around since Windows 98 SE, and with the launch of Windows XP, it's only gotten better.

The wireless EVDO router is the best...how be it expensive..
Old 2009-06-03, 06:57 PM   #30
gexgeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob11 View Post
U720 USB "stick" is what I use coupled with a Kyocera EVDO wireless router.

Cheers
Model please Rob. and would you care to elborate a bit on you're setup

Entertain us Rob.

Tags
bell, internet, wimax