Seinfeld in HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Old 2009-03-28, 09:43 PM   #1
VBC1

Default Seinfeld in HD

Last week there were some episodes of Seinfeld on BCTV in HD.
As this was not announced, i contacted them about this but they had no any info about any hd content on their channel. All they could tell me was that their HD signal is being streamed from Calgary.

Comparison with the original episode (from my archives):

VBC1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-03-28, 10:23 PM   #2
jvincent

Seinfeld was produced in the era before HD so I wonder if they filmed in widescreen and then cropped for broadcast.

From the screen shots it's not clear whether the HD signal is a zoom or not.
jvincent is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-28, 10:56 PM   #3
i hate tv

Whatever they did, Susie looks much clearer in the middle screenshot!
Although there is no shot to compare the screenshot of wealthy Industrialist A.J Pennypacker (or is that Dr. Martin von Nostrand?), I can see more definition than I usually do
i hate tv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-28, 11:33 PM   #4
EFP

Itís real HD!
Since Seinfeld was originally shot on 35mm film and 35mm is much higher res than 1080 so there is no upconversion.

Donít know if they originally shot for 4:3 television and now in remastering cropped or originally shot true 16:9

Itís real HD remastered!
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ebut_In_HD.php
EFP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-28, 11:54 PM   #5
dscott01

What time and what day was Seinfeld in HD broadcast on BCTV?
dscott01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-29, 04:29 AM   #6
VBC1

There were total of 4 episodes aired in HD, which were put in to replace one of the soap operas while CBS had some sports specials on.
As I said, Global staff had no details about their HD content or Seinfeld and only could confirm to me that it seems like there is no more of Seinfeld scheduled for now (except it seems in cases some regular programmes are canceled and then Seinfeld is put in to fill the programming gap). They also seemed not to know that this was a very exclusive thing and was never done before by any tv station in Canada (also done only by TBS-HD in USA as well).
The show was definitely in true HD. As the show was not shot in full 16:9, seems like we can now see an additional side images while some of the top and bottom of the picture is cropped to accommodate.
Old 2009-03-31, 03:12 PM   #7
PnnyPnchr

Funny you brought this up. Last week I saw the tail end of a Seinfeld episode broadcast in HD on WUTV 29-1 (FOX from Buffalo). I thought I was seeing things! I switched to WUTV-SD and the same episode was shown cropped.

So, now I too wonder if they were originally filmed in 16x9 or is this a re-size/re-master? It is strange to see anything in HD on a strip-syndication rerun, especially something so old (the copyright on that episode was 1995).
PnnyPnchr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-31, 03:56 PM   #8
bigoranget
Veteran

The show was NOT filmed in 16x9. The HD transfers reveals the croped left and right edges of the film. The revealed edges is not enough to make a 16x9 image so some of the top and bottom is cropped out to make the 16x9 image.
bigoranget is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-31, 05:00 PM   #9
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

I like the more accurate colour of the HD broadcast, especially the "pinkish hue".
Cyclism is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-31, 05:09 PM   #10
RobWindsor

Seinfeld was originally shot on 35mm film, enough for proper HD resolution, the aspect ratio had to be altered by cropping the frame for the 16:9 frame though.
RobWindsor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-31, 05:20 PM   #11
bigoranget
Veteran

I hope if this show ever gets released on Blu Ray that they keep the original aspect ratio. I'd prefer that there is no cropping at all.
bigoranget is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-04-09, 01:01 AM   #12
99gecko
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnnyPnchr View Post
Funny you brought this up. Last week I saw the tail end of a Seinfeld episode broadcast in HD on WUTV 29-1 (FOX from Buffalo). I thought I was seeing things! I switched to WUTV-SD and the same episode was shown cropped.
I saw this recently on WUTV via OTA. I assumed it was a really good upconvert cropped for WS since the "HD" was missing from the onscreen logo.
Good to know that effort is being put into getting syndicated shows broadcast in the best PQ possible.
99gecko is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-04-22, 04:10 AM   #13
Nick Martin

I noticed on the weekend that the SD version of Global was airing this letterboxed, so non-HD viewers can see it wider as well.
Nick Martin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-04-30, 11:50 PM   #14
tablo

Global logo in 4:3 safe area tells that it isn't necessarily HD; but maybe widescreen. Those were done in Project Runway Canada, but recently it looks like they changed the logo to 16:9 safe area.
tablo is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-05-08, 07:48 AM   #15
VBC1

I can confirm that the picture quality definitely was HD, I have few episodes recorded. The picture format on the SD global channel was letterboxed. Looked like every scene was specifically edited and remastered for HD.

The sad thing is that Global still has no info about this and other episodes are being held in the cabinets for events some regular programmes are canceled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.