Help switching Canadian XM Radio to US Account. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > SiriusXM Satellite Radio

Old 2010-01-17, 01:58 PM   #16
99semaj
Veteran

So I'm about to go through a smilar scenario as the OP...I will have an XM add-on installed in my 2009 Honda, and will activate it on the US service via one of my addresses south of the border.

It sounds like, technically speaking, the radio not any different for US or Canada? It can be activated in either country?
99semaj is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-02-23, 02:13 PM   #17
Doug30

Default "Moving" to the USA XM Radio

If I change my address to the USA will I lose stations because of repeaters being different here than there? Or will I not notice a difference other than more channels? eg. Best of Sirius.
Doug30 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-23, 02:20 PM   #18
hugh
Member #1

The station line-up for Sirius XM with Best of Sirius is different than Canada so you will need to compare the line-ups to determine what stations you will gain or lose.
Old 2010-02-23, 03:08 PM   #19
starchoice
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
If I change my address to the USA will I lose stations because of repeaters being different here than there? Or will I not notice a difference other than more channels? eg. Best of Sirius.
The repeaters are not different here. You will not lose stations, only gain. XM Canada and the Sirius counterpart block channels for the Canadian subscribers, the ones which they cannot legally offer due to Candian regulations.

Best of Sirius requires an extra fee.
starchoice is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-23, 06:45 PM   #20
99semaj
Veteran

The rental car I have right now has XM, and the Canadian content is deplorable. The so-called Canada360 channel is basically a robotic voice reading traffic and weather reports with the odd Canadian Press newscast.

The worst part is, XM Canada is no better. No Canadian content at all, with the exception of French channels.
99semaj is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-13, 05:18 PM   #21
railguy

Hi...

I currently have a US XM account using my brother's US address. My buddy just bought a new car last night and he wants US service too. I know the first thind is not to have the dealer activate it here in Canada...but can I add his car to my account or does he need a seperate US address? How does he do this?? Thanks
railguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-13, 11:09 PM   #22
starchoice
Veteran

Sure it can be added to your account or he can set up his own with his own U.S. address.
Old 2010-03-14, 08:48 AM   #23
railguy

He doesn't have a US address he can use so I guess we'll put it on my account. I assume that I just tell them I've bought a second car and give the radio ID # ??
Old 2010-03-14, 02:16 PM   #24
starchoice
Veteran

You can use any valid U.S. address.

You can log-in online to set mailing preferences to e-mail only.

That Radio ID might be registered with XM Canada. I've heard of problems before with car radios. Are you sure that the dealer doesn't already have XM running on the radio?
Old 2010-03-14, 03:28 PM   #25
railguy

No...the car hasn't been delivered yet...I told my friend to tell them not to activate the radio.
Old 2010-03-14, 08:06 PM   #26
starchoice
Veteran

I know when I was test driving cars, the XM was working.
Old 2010-03-14, 08:08 PM   #27
railguy

I believe thats a demo sub that all dealers have and the free three months are activated on the day you pick up the car. When I bought mine the girl in prep told me she had activated it that afternoon. BTW...are there any sub discounts on second radios?
Old 2010-03-14, 08:14 PM   #28
starchoice
Veteran

It may be a demo sub but what I am saying is that the demo sub would be running against that Radio ID.

Just go to the www.xmradio.com (U.S.) website and click on Activate Radio at the top. Put in the Radio ID and see what the result is. Do the same thing on the Canadian site (www.xmradio.ca) and see what result you get there. You will then know the status of that Radio ID. I have a hunch that the U.S. site will not recognize the ID.
Old 2010-03-14, 08:16 PM   #29
starchoice
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by railguy View Post
I believe thats a demo sub that all dealers have and the free three months are activated on the day you pick up the car. When I bought mine the girl in prep told me she had activated it that afternoon. BTW...are there any sub discounts on second radios?
The difference with the three free months is that they are telling XM that the car is sold and that you are the owner.
Old 2010-03-14, 08:29 PM   #30
starchoice
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by railguy View Post
BTW...are there any sub discounts on second radios?
Yes, you get a discount for a second radio. You can get a U.S. sub for $77/year so a discount is really a moot point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.