Best Metals for Antennas: Performance, Soldering, Welding, Bending, Working - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > Antenna Research & Development

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-01-20, 08:07 PM   #16
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default DIY Mesh for GH?

It seems to me that if a person is building a Gray Hoverman mesh version with a PVC or other firm frame they should be able to string their own mesh out of wire as needed, right?

Here's the winding chart I'm envisioning (not to scale) that doesn't use any vertical lines. It starts from the bottom left going up and right, then up and left, repeat, lather, rinse, repeat...
Code:
 |------------->--------------|^
^|-------------<--------------|
^|-------------<--------------|       \
 |------------->--------------|^   (wire holes drilled
^|-------------<--------------|     in frame sides at
 |------------->--------------|^    2 inch centres)
^|-------------<--------------|       /
 ^ Start
What would be the best AWG size for the wire, and would copper be the best wire or aluminum or steel for reflector purposes?
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-01-20, 08:18 PM   #17
300ohm
Veteran

Mclapp did that on one of his bowties by drilling small holes in the side of the pipe. Size wise, what you have handy is dandy, heh. Youll also need some tensioners. But with the reflector gap in the GHs, it makes life more complicated.

Quote:
That shows the difference between Canada and the US. Somme stuff is hard to get up here.
It may be more local than that. Sounds like more of a demand to fence out some smaller critters up where you are than here. I cant imagine what though.
Still too big an opening for most snakes, heh.
Old 2009-01-20, 08:20 PM   #18
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default DIY Mesh for GH Using 1 Spool of Wire

If the wire size is flexible enough then the lower left start point could be locked into place (screwed in?) and each weave of the wire through the side holes would really need to be pulled very tight while still keeping the frame from wanting to bend inwards like an hourglass. Hmmm... worth some experimentation but I'm starting to think that store bought mesh would be more rigid due to the vertical wires.

Maybe this DIY design needs vertical wiring too but then linking all the junction points would be a pain! An over-under weave of the vertical wires through the horizontal wires would help, with the whole winding process starting at the lower left as 2" horizontal weaves, changing to 4" vertical weaves at the top left, and ending at the upper right:
Code:
Start at bottom left

Vertical Down
      /
^ >>>V   >>>>    >>>>    >>>>    >>> END
  ||--|---|---|---|->-|---|---|---|--|| ^
^ ||--|---|---|---|-<-|---|---|---|--||
^ ||--V---^---V---^-<-V---^---V---^--||
> ||--|---|---|---|->-|---|---|---|--|| ^
  -------------------------------------
\    >>>>    >>>>    >>>>    >>>>
 \
   START     Outer lines are the Frame, not Wires
It could be done with one spool of wire and only one final cut.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-01-21 at 08:42 PM.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-01-20, 09:08 PM   #19
chillonhill

you can get 2 x 3 mesh at reno depot, But I wouldnt know if its any better than your 2 x 2
chillonhill is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-01-21, 09:26 AM   #20
BongoPJ

Talking DIY mesh

Thanks for the very interesting replies.

I thought about doing some soldering to build my own mesh.
But then, since you mention the gap, what would be the best specs for a reflector grid ? 2x4 or more ? 2x6 ?

About fencing for snakes: maybe there are some outside the island of Montreal so I will take a look at some other stores.

Wiring could be strung in two parts instead of the whole width, using the center post for strength. Question: is tubing better than wire ? Or can wire scatter the waves more ?

Hmmm. Looks like i'm joining the research team... OTA THE way to watch TV
BongoPJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-01-21, 10:03 AM   #21
uglydukwling

TSC sells 2x4 welded mesh as "corn crib wire". I just bought some for a fence project and plan to use the leftovers to build an antenna. The last time I used it, i got it from the Co-op. It comes in 4 x100' rolls, and I don't know if they'll cut it.
uglydukwling is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-01-21, 10:37 AM   #22
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
I thought about doing some soldering to build my own mesh.
But then, since you mention the gap, what would be the best specs for a reflector grid ? 2x4 or more ? 2x6 ?
The less || vertical wires, the better, for wind load. The == horizontal wires are the important ones for North American TV antenna gain.
Old 2009-01-21, 02:53 PM   #23
BongoPJ

Sorry my question was not clear enough.

After seeing some wire at the hardware store I think it would be easy to use it and build a reflector with a plastic frame; the tension needed to keep the wires straight should not cause any distorsion. And tensioners can be added outside the frame.

The question remains: is 2" the best distance between each wire or should it be more (3") or less (1")? Is it irrelevant since we are mimicking a full sheet?

uglydukwling: What is TSC ?
Old 2009-01-21, 03:34 PM   #24
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
The question remains: is 2" the best distance between each wire or should it be more (3") or less (1")? Is it irrelevant since we are mimicking a full sheet?
It is mimicking a full sheet, a solid sheet is ideal but any wind would tear down the mast and anything attached, heh. 1 inch distance is about 1 db better on the higher channels, but only about .33 db better on the low channels. 2 inch is a compromise between gain and wind load.
Old 2009-01-21, 03:45 PM   #25
BongoPJ

Thanks 300ohm.

So if I build 2 reflectors with a 2" gap it would be useful to alternate them.
One side being an inch under or over the other.

What do you think ?

Last edited by BongoPJ; 2009-01-21 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Line spacing does not show in diagram
Old 2009-01-21, 08:37 PM   #26
ceeaton
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ohm View Post
It is mimicking a full sheet, a solid sheet is ideal but any wind would tear down the mast and anything attached, heh. 1 inch distance is about 1 db better on the higher channels, but only about .33 db better on the low channels. 2 inch is a compromise between gain and wind load.
FYI: I tried some 1" x 1" hardware mesh...the pole I had it attached to ended up in the shape of an "r". If the antenna hadn't stopped on the garage roof, it would have been a "p". I quickly rebuilt it with 2" x 3" rabbit wire, and it has withstood 45 mph winds with 1/2" ice attached to it. And we're talking a 6' DBGH. The reception is so much better than when I had it as 3" x 2", I imagine several dBm's (10-15 % signal vs. 35-40%). (With a CM-7000 converter box)

Last edited by ceeaton; 2009-01-21 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added converter box model
ceeaton is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-01-21, 09:19 PM   #27
asteroids
Rookie

So the "ideal" reflector is a solid metal sheet?
Is this true for all SG6 and SG10 family designs?
asteroids is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-01-21, 10:51 PM   #28
BongoPJ

ceeaton: Thanks for sharing your real life testing. I will definitely keep the 2" spacing.

asteroids: any reflecting surface put behind an antenna will improve the signal. A solid sheet will suffer the full force of gusting wind like ceeaton described. So it is best used inside, for attic installs.
Old 2009-01-22, 03:30 AM   #29
300ohm
Veteran

Quote:
So the "ideal" reflector is a solid metal sheet?
Is this true for all SG6 and SG10 family designs?
Dont misunderstand, you still need the gap for the extra gain, so its not one solid sheet of metal. The mesh reflector models try to approximate a solid sheet with the gap.

The rod reflector models are different. The rods individually resonate and produce unique properties and characteristics.
Old 2009-01-22, 10:05 AM   #30
uglydukwling

TSC is a farm supply chain. In the US, the signs say Tractor Supply Co, but in Canada they just use the initials. They have many stores here in s-w Ontario, but I don't know about the rest of the country.
uglydukwling is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.